skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

RubyCat
    Participant

Hi all,

I had a LAVH on 20th Nov last year and am now over 4 months po. Healing and recovery went well and I am definitely feeling the benefits. I kept my ovaries and have had a few symptoms but nothing too bad.

I’m struggling now though with my belly / lower abdomen. I knew to expect ‘swelly belly’ but does it get painful? I’ve had a busy time with work over the last while and the pain has got worse with that. I’m pretty shattered and feel myself reverting back to the bent over posture I have for the first few weeks post op. I definitely have some ovary pain, but am feeling a lot of discomfort in the general area and sneezing is super painful. I also still have some discharge which is a bit smelly (like there’s blood in it) but there’s no redness. I’m thinking that I’m doing too much and need to stop a bit, but also slightly worried in case something’s a bit wrong. Anyone else have this / feel like this? Would be so grateful of any advice.

Thank you,

Ruby

cjn75
    Participant

Hi Ruby,

4 months post up is still early days, as I’m discovering! I’m just over 3 months and haven’t even been able to go back to work yet. Maybe you’ve been overdoing it, as you say you’ve been busy at work.
    Also possibly you have an infection if you have some smelly discharge, I would definately see your gp asap and try to slow down a bit. I know it’s so frustrating, I thought I’d be back to normal by now!
    Best wishes
    Clare

LouiseD1
    Participant

Hi Rubycat, I think I remember you from November group 😀 I’m also 4 months post op.
    It does sound like you may have overdone it if the pain has developed recently? I have had on and off heavy dragging sensations since getting back on my feet really, it comes on at the end of each day when I am tired but generally resets itself with rest overnight so I am fine in the mornings. It’s not sharp pain at all just an aching heavy feeling above the wound. I agree with Clare that you should go to the doc and get yourself checked out just to be sure. In the meantime, take it easy, rest seems to be the best medicine for this recovery phase we are in xx

Fizzer
    Participant

Hi RubyCat

I was a November lady too! TAH+BSO.

I seem have had a few steps forward and a few steps backwards in my recovery tbh. Four weeks ago my scar started to open and bleed in a few places (not smelling though) and didn’t seem to be healing properly. It turned out I had a infection and ended having two different lots of antibiotics. Thankfully it’s looking much better now. I agree it’s a slow process and yes, very frustrating!
    I get very uncomfortable and a (more) swelly belly in the afternoon / evening especially if I’ve had a busy morning. I’m planning on going back to work in 2 weeks time on a phased return but wonder how I’m going to cope!
    If things are getting worse and you’re still having discharge I’d definitely get it checked out in case of infection.
    As Clare and Louise say we need to take things slowly and rest up, but sometimes it’s easier sad than done.
    Take care all x

RubyCat
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks very much for replying, you have put my mind at ease a bit and I will def go to the docs as soon as I can get an appointment.

Fizzier and Louise I’m glad you’re both doing ok, although Fizzer it sounds like you’ve had a rough time with your scar, I hope that keeps healing and getting better and going back to work isn’t too awful for you. I went back far too early but luckily then had a break over Christmas to rest again.

I felt a bit bad coming back to the forum so far after op, but really glad I did. Really comforting. Thank you, and Clare, I hope your recovery continues well.

Ruby x

LouiseD1
    Participant

It definitely helps to share experiences doesn’t it . And to be honest, I’ve stayed on the forum the whole time, partly because my recovery was so delayed and painful ( I had a wound infection which required second surgery a week after the first and then had to live with an open wound for eight weeks while it all healed up naturally!😳) and so it was useful to still share with others the ups and downs of life. It was hearing from others on the forum that made me realise that I was definitely suffering menopause symptoms even though I hoped not to (one ovary left behind but obviously failed) so eventually went to GP for HRT which has transformed how I feel and definitely speeded up the recovery after such a slow start.
    Do let us know how you get on at GP and have a restful weekend x

RubyCat
    Participant

Oh no Louise, that sounds pretty tough going. I hope you’re feeling a bit better now and can start getting back to normal where you can.

I’m going to go back over some of the old posts and see how everyone has been getting on too. Take care,

Ruby x

vickieboo
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I also had my op in November, 27th. I certainly know when I’ve done too much, it’s frustratingly not that much either! I especially feel it in my back. Fatigue and lack of stamina still an issue but I have noticed an improvement albeit slow.

Here’s to our ongoing recovery ladies.

Keep smiling.

Vickie.

cjn75
    Participant

Hi ladies,
    It’s so nice to hear other people are also recovering slowly ( or maybe normally!)
    After reading leaflets and other information, saying that basically you’re back to normal life after 6 weeks, was very frustrating, when you’re no where near! Also having it laparoscopically, people assume you recover that much quicker.
    I’m finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel!😂 and it will be worth it eventually!
    Anyone watch emmerdale? One of the characters has had a hysterectomy and gone back to work after 5 weeks, as a vet, driving carrying heavy bags… with me ranting at the tv!😂😂
    We will get there eventually! Xx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today