6days post TAH&BSO

Forums Forums Types of Hysterectomy Abdominal Hysterectomy 6days post TAH&BSO

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author

JammyT5

Morning ladies! Yes I’m early but I’ve not slept well again.
    I had my follow up appointment last night with my gynae consultant.
    No adenomyosis, it was suspected on 2 MRI scans, it turns out I had a cluster of intramural fibroids which was the real cause of my large asymetrical uterus. I felt a little winded when I was told, as the consultant seemed so sure it was adenomyosis pre hysterectomy. But I guess that and my endometriosis symptoms made my hysterectomy an inevitable.
    My ‘cuff” did not need nitrate application as it seems its healing well and granulation tissue is sloughing off! Yuk what a thought!
    Another urine sample suggests still have a UTI as I suspected, I have to wait now for results and sensitivity for possible medication again.
    The nurse at the clinic commented that I seemed to be struggling to lie down on the bed and seemed amazed that I could still be feeling sore across my tummy at this point post op! Such understanding and empathy! Yes my tummy is still tender and lying down and then sitting up really tells me my tummy muscles are still repairing and healing, I’m not surprised by this, but it seems really ignorant that a nurse in a gynae clinic doesn’t have a clue!
    On a high note I’m feeling a lot brighter, I may start my clonidine which I’m hoping will improve my sleeping pattern. Any advice ladies? X

Muscadet

Jammy you are very early days post op! I can’t believe that a nurse on a gynae ward doesn’t have a clue either!

Glad you’re feeling brighter and hope you sleep better tonight! Have you tried a relaxation to help you?

M x

JammyT5

Hi no not tried relaxation. I’ve never had problems sleeping until pre-op with pain that woke me up. Now I drop off fine but I wake up repeatedly, hot, quilt off, cold, quilt retrieved, and so it goes on. By the time it’s about 4am I’m really tired and drop off but then I don’t have long enough til it’s time to get up again! I’m sure there are many ladies out there who can relate to this! I tried one dose of clonidine last night, obviously one dose isn’t going to have any major effect, but after looking at the side effects I’m not sure i want to take it. It seems that if you take it you can’t just stop, you have to reduce your dose and gradually wean off it or it can dangerously affect your blood pressure. Hmmm sounds too much like hard work for me! The hot episodes only really affect me at night, some nights are worse than others. It’s the poor sleep quality that’s the killer for me! X

Lady pen

JammyT5, have you tried sage. I believe it’s very good for hot flushes and night sweats. Don’t know how long it takes to work tho . Em x

JammyT5

Hi ladies, it’s been several days since I last posted an update!
    I’m feeling sooo much better, better than I’ve felt for ages! I’m 6 weeks post op now and I feel I’ve really made progress in the past week or so. At several points in the early days post op I thought I’d never get better, it seemed like a never ending cycle of feeling ill and sore. It was like being stuck in a bad dream. Now I feel alive! I’m still not doing alot, I’m pottering a lot more, still no lifting, vacuuming and no driving yet, but I did manage to cook a roast dinner today! All veg peeled, chicken and all the trimmings, my kids thought they’d died and gone to heaven! Real vegetables! A roast dinner! Just like the good old days!
    Weather permitting I’m going to go for a walk this week. I managed an hour around the town centre last week doing jobs such as banking. I was wiped out by the time I’d done, I wasn’t hurting anywhere physically I was just generally fatigued. But it was good to get out!
    I’m currently involved in pursuing a complaint about my post operative care. I would really appreciate advice. My PCA was not working properly post op, the hospital have admitted this since my discharge. I was only getting about 4mg of morphine per hour post op and I was in agony. It was discontinued after 4 and a half hours post op, and I was only given iv paracetamol after this. It was sheer hell, the pain was intense, hence why I have complained. I would really appreciate advice on what I should have experienced. Even now when I think about it i feel angry and tearful, no woman should have to endure what I did and I feel strongly that I do not want another to suffer the same post operative incompetence.
    Thanks ladies. X

JammyT5

Almost 8 weeks post op!
    Can’t believe that I’m so far down the post op line now! Time flys when you’re having fun! Lol!
    I’ve started driving this week, I’ve done some ironing, I’m cooking family meals, and I’m feeling better. I’ve still got to vacuum, peg out washing, shop alone as in push a trolley, but I’m getting there! I feel like I’m starting to rejoin the rest of the human race!
    Finding I get lower back ache when I’m up and about for more than a couple of hours, I guess it’s still early days, but I’m on the mend! X

Muscadet

Jammy lovely to hear your update and it sounds like you’re doing fab! Well done !

M x

Unsure1

Hello Jammy, I was thinking of you yesterday, I’m pleased you are doing so well, yes the time does go fast, it did for me. Well done on you driving etc, and yes still rest if you need too.
    Cxx

JammyT5

9 weeks today!
    I’ve been feeling so much better, still taking it easier than I did in my pre-endometriosis era tho! I have been doing progressively more. All housework, other than vacuuming, all cooking, ironing, food shop but no trolley pushing, and getting out and about more. Get very tired if out for more than 2 hours shopping, just feel drained of all energy. My mind wants to keep going but my body says other wise!
    Think I did too much yesterday, my abdomen feels heavy, my tummy has swollen up. BIG time and I’ve got that familiar feeling that my insides are about to drop out my bum, nice! I tried to do the housework, cooking and ironing all before 2pm. I’m my own worst enemy, it just seems like I should be back to being fully functional by now, unsaid expectations, in my head I’m ready to be 100% my body just needs to catch up? X

Muscadet

Jammy please don’t try and do too much toon soon! Listen you your body and rest when you need to, recovery isn’t a sprint it’s a marathon sweetie!

You are doing so well but you’re still very early days! So be kind to yourself (((hugs)))
    M x

JammyT5

Hi ladies I’m now 10+ weeks! coming up to 11!
    I’m doing well. Still suffering with the dreaded lower back ache, which gets steadily worse the longer I’m on my feet/on the move. I’m doing my tummy exercises, and some back stretches, in the hope that once I’ve got toned abs my back will stop aching. Is this normal? Are their other ladies out there who have experienced this, and how long does it take to improve?
    I’m signed off work til January which is a blessing as I’m not sure how I’m ever going to manage an 8 or 12 hour shift on my feet on a busy busy ward. I’ve not attempted the vacuuming yet, just sweeping with broom ( thank goodness for laminate and tiles!) my husband vacs at the weekend for me. I’m ironing and doing all other chores. Sitting after 2-3 hours just to let my back rest. My tummy looks so good in the morning, I’m back in my skinny jeans, but needing to take take them off mid afternoon when my tummy bloats beyond all recognition! My friends and family say my tummy looks fine to them, I think they are being kind!
    Not tried or even wanted to try sex with hubby! I’m scared my pocket will tear! The thought alone makes me shudder!
    I know I’m on the mend, it’s a long slow process, sometimes it seems like forever ago I had my op, and I do feel that there are expectations on when you should be ‘back to normal’ it feels like when you get to 12 weeks it’s expected that you are completely healed, cured, and fighting fit! I wish it were so simple! X

Lady pen

Hi jammy, I don’t have much back ache now, I’m now 11weeks post op. Doing most things. Like you not back in work till January. I’m a comunity support worker. Tried the Hoover today for the first time. Found it ok. I to was just using a brush for floors. Like you say thank god for lamate and tiles. I’ve tried sex. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Just take your time and slow when your ready. Don’t have much of a sex drive if any. Had my ovaries removed and now on hrt. But would quite happily give it a miss and read a book. Still get swelly belly.by this evening I looked 4mths pregnant. The only time a do get any back ache is if I’ve done a lot of walking, like for hours. Hope things continue to improve. Em x

JammyT5

Hi thanks for the reply. Good to know that your recovery is going well. I’m not on HRT and won’t be for some months due to endometriosis, maybe once I start that I may have the inclination for sex, tho like you, a book and a relaxing read is all I want at bedtime! My backache didn’t start until about 3 weeks ago. I was fine until then, I’m hoping it’s just because I’m up and mobile whereas before I was sitting a lot early post op. I’m reassured to hear it’s not just my tummy that bloats big time, like you it’s early days still so I’m happy to put up with it if I can still fit into my clothes! How is your energy levels? I still feel I tire more easily. Household chores mixed with going to the shops wears me out. If I’m in the house I manage most chores but can’t seem to get the energy to get out as well. Also if I have a real tidy up day, the next day I’m flagging a bit. Maybe the new year will bring us both a bucket load of energy! X

Lady pen

Hi jammy, I can do a lot in one day but still find it can wipe me out the next. Managing to do more tho. Tring to build it up gradually. My brain is starting to work now, thought it would never come back. I’m Very lucky to be on hrt straight after my surgery. I was told a wouldn’t be able to have it cos of the endometriosis, but I responded that well to the zoladex injections, it had got rid of all traces of the endometriosis. It does sound like your back ache could be related to you doing more. Just keep an eye on it. Mine was worse early days when doing a lot of resting. I’ve found the more I do in one day that bigger the swelly belly gets. Just eager to get back to normal now. I suppose this time of year dosnt help with energy levels, dull, cold, grey and dark early. Roll on 21st dec (shortest day) then it starts to get lighter everyday. Emx

JammyT5

Hi Em, thanks for the reply. OMG we had our ops done at pretty much the same time. Mine was 18/09/13, the day after yours! And I’m 42, with 3 girls! How weird! In a good way!
    Keeping on taking the ibuprofen as and when, at least one a day for the dull backache. I wake up fine, tho my left shoulder is giving me real discomfort at the mo too! I feel like I’m falling apart! In relation to the hysterectomy I’m feeling a lot more human. Like I said my gripes are my lower back ache more at the middle to end of day, my shoulder and the inability to sleep through the night. Hot episodes, no major sweating ( tho I don’t smell great in the morning, definitely a whiff of underarm BO) and fatigue. It sounds worse when I write it! I’ve read that after a BSO some women suffer with more joint aches and pains, oestrogen is thought to play a part in maintaining healthy joints. And of course I don’t have any now, so maybe that has something to do with it. I should be able to start HRT from March so I may suddenly feel rejuvenated and uncreaky! Am I alone in sometimes feeling like I’ve aged 10 years overnight, I feel like I’ve fast forwarded the good bits to the bit where I’m starting to malfunction and fall apart! If I feel this crappy at 42 I dread to think how I’ll feel at 52! On a positive note, no pelvic pain, I can walk without limping, and I don’t have to be at work til the new year so I can enjoy Christmas at home with my family.

JammyT5

Hi ladies, it’s been a while.
    I thought I’d post my latest. I went back to work this week on reduced hours. I normally work a 7.5 hour shift, so I was planned to go back on a short 4 hour shift. I’ve been having daily low back pain and have done for weeks now. It’s annoying! I seem to have swapped my abdo pain for back pain. Anyway, I saw physio who confirmed there were issues with my sacral vertebrae and my pelvis. Apparently it is common for these changes to happen especially for ladies who have had long term gynae issues. The body alters it’s posture to minimise tissue trauma which may occur in endometriosis as internal tissues stick instead of glide on movement. That’s what my physio told me! So it is confirmed my back is knackered! I’m now going to physio! And as for my ickle 4 hour shift, which it thought was easily do-able, I did it but I was struggling after 2 hours. I was watching the hands on the clock non stop for the last hour! My back was really hurting when I got home and I hardly slept as it was throbbing and kept waking me up. I thought the nights of broken sleep due to pain or discomfort were behind me. Grrrr!

shiree jones

Jammy i am 9 days post op and i am so like you i want to get out and about and next week with hubby and hes keeps saying lets just wait and see how you are. I am doing really well and am so happy with the healing but i over did yesterday and its set me back a little bit, hopefully not for long. I so want to get out for a wee while in 2days time

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.