skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs April April Flowers 2016

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 421 total)
  • Author

Fiji62
    Participant

As the First Lady with a confirmed date for April 2016, CharlieB has chosen the name “April Flowers” for the group.

I am sure that there will be many more coming along soon to join her

CharlieB – April 6th

Meanwhile you are welcome to join in any group,

Fiona x

Fengirl65

Hi all
    TAH and BSO scheduled for 7th April 2016… the countdown begins! Very much hoping to find a group to share experiences, and to give and receive support as we go through it together. My surgeon has put me on an “enhanced recovery” programme, meaning I’ll go in on the morning of the 7th, op that day and home the next (barring complications) to start my recovery. High carb drinks to consume the night before and on the morning of the op… it feels like “carbing up” for a sporting event! :mrgreen:

A bit about me: just turned 50, had a pretty miserable last few years with multiple fibroids, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and a distorted belly that looks permanently 6 months pregnant. It’s all a bit of a mess, really… so my attitude to the op is: Bring it ON!

juleskirk50

Evening and welcome fengirl I have added you to the list – feel free to ask any questions and also have a look at the previous months which will give you an idea of what to expect while you’re waiting for your surgery and during your recovery – you will find plenty support here – xx 😆

CharlieB – April 6th
    Fengirl – April 7th

CharlieB

Hello fengirl and anyone else scheduled for April!
    I’ve been quietly waiting in the wings hoping to find others like me on the list for April. I’m waiting for a LAVH for multiple fibroids which over the last 3 years have caused much misery, as fengirl said, for me, prolonged bleeding, flooding etc to the point my quality of life is so effected, enough is enough.

I’m incredibly nervous and looking for us much info as I can, particularly regarding whether to keep my ovaries or not. When I last saw my consultant back in November, I wasn’t really prepared for the hysterectomy route so didn’t go armed with all the questions I now seek! I just have my pre op booked in for the 1st April so I’m going to hope they can advise me then.

I’m 51, and haven’t hit the menopause yet, have also had cysts but don’t believe they have caused issues ( I do suffer with really bad lower back ache though ). I’m wondering if it’s worth keeping my overlies at my age though, as I’ve been some iffy reports from those who have surgical menopause and HRT.

Looking forward to sharing our journey. C

Fengirl65

Hi CharlieB – like you, I’ve not hit menopause yet, and it is a tricky decision to make (keeping ovaries or not). For me, there wasn’t much option: both ovaries are completely crappy, and have caused me a lot of pain with cysts. On ultrasound, it looks like one tube and ovary is kind of globbed together in a big old knot, and the other one is scarred and cyst-ey, anyway…. so for me, it’s a no-brainer: goodbye, ovaries!

The internet can be a scary place when you go looking for people’s experience of surgical menopause – lots of dodgy stories out there and it does make me nervous, too. However, what I am trying to remind myself is that the people who have a lot of problems are more likely to be posting about their experiences than the people who sail through OK… if it all goes fine, there isn’t as much of a story to tell! So I suspect the “negatives” are slightly over-represented which maybe skews the picture.

I was quite nervous about the idea of HRT, but the advice from my surgeon was certainly to try it initially, because recovery from surgery is enough to be dealing with without instant menopause symptoms as well. After that.. well, average age of menopause is 51 anyway, and I can’t put it off forever. I’m trying to take a “what will be, will be” attitude and not get myself too wound up about things that might or might not happen. My focus right now is on the things I CAN control, like getting myself in good shape for the op, losing a little weight, making sure things at home will run smoothly when I get back (e.g cooking batches of stuff for the freezer – my husband is brilliant, but he is the worst cook in the universe so if I don’t prepare, I’m either gonna die from starvation or a heart attack from all the takeaways he’ll buy! )

TRoseR68

Hi April Flowers

I am from January Jays, I had a TAH and BSO just over six weeks ago, I just wanted to let you know my surgeon advised me to have my ovaries removed as I had already had a few operations in that area and he said he wouldn’t want to have to remove my ovaries at a later stage. I am 47 and wasn’t in the menopause, and so far I have felt fine since surgery, I have been on the patches since about 3-4 days post op and apart from the occasional hot flush and insomnia I have felt “well” in myself.

Good luck with your ops, the time will soon come round!

Teri xx

Hello everyone, my hysterectomy has been confirmed for the 11th April and I would like to be added to the April Flowers. Thank you

CharlieB

Hi Fengirl
    I totally agree with your comments and positive outlook, I’ve always been a ” glass half empty” type person, and tend to focus on the negatives. I’m surrounded by positive people though which helps. I just don’t know enough about it all and have probably been reading too many of the horror stories and not enough of the successes.
    You sound very well organised, I should probably be focusing on the same, after all, MY HUSBAND is the worst cook in the universe! He has kindly reminded me, that perhaps I should get cooking and freezing – bless him. I’m also trying to keep fit and healthy with lots of dog walking and building up my chore strength while I can!

It’s lovely to hear your recovery is going well Teri. ATM, I’m leaning towards having the ovaries removed too, after taking everything into consideration.
    C

Fiji62
    Participant

Good evening,

Welcome Robin. I have added you to the list for April.

CharlieB – April 6th
    Fengirl – April 7th
    Robin45 – April 11th

Preparing meals etc for the post op period is a good plan! It is also a good one sea to “train” yor partners, other family members in the use of the washing machine & also how to change a duvet cover! You won’t want to have hysterical laughter watching them in the post op period. Having said that, you may have trained them already. You will not be changing beds for about 6 weeks.

Have a good evening,

Fiona X

Fengirl65

Thanks for posting that, Teri… it really helps.

Robin – Hi! So nice to get a little support group going… no matter how much you read and try to prepare yourself, it’s quite a scary thing to face alone, so I’m so glad to have found this forum.

CharlieB – tell me about your dog/dogs? I have three large, VERY affectionate dogs (Rottweiler x Doberman) and one of my biggest worries is how on earth will I keep them away from me when I have a sore, swollen, post-op belly?! They like to get up close and personal. Any thoughts on that?!

Fiji62 – My biggest worry has really been preparing my husband for this op. Up until a few weeks ago, I think he was seeing it as “How fun! Fengirl will be home on holiday with me for weeks!” (He works from home). I have had to re-set his expectations, and this forum was really helpful. I printed out the document I found on here that lists roughly what to expect, week by week post-op… and he suddenly started taking it more seriously. He had quite a lot of teaching commitments for April/May… he’s now cancelled them so he can look after me. Awww.

girloon

Hello All

I’m scheduled for my hyst (LAVH) on April 7th – it’ll be really nice to compare notes with you all as we recover! Here’s a little bit of info about me:

I’m 35 (so on the young side for uterus destruction) and mine is required due to very early cervical cancer; I’ve had two previous treatments (LEEP & large cone biopsy) over the last 7 years and unfortunately my dodgy cells have been really persistent so I’m now relieved that a hyst should represent an end to the constant rounds of colposcopies, biopsies and never knowing what to expect next. I also have endometriosis, so I’ll be interested (and hopeful) to feel the impact of my hyst on that. I’m keeping my ovaries – this was my one stipulation as I obviously wanted to avoid an early menopause.

I have a great surgeon and I’m lucky enough to have private healthcare. This was something that I had always avoided using before, but I felt I had so little say in my treatment as an NHS patient; this has been the main difference for me since hopping over the Bupa fence. I’m feeling as good and confident as possible going into the op, but a little apprehensive about what to expect afterwards – I’m not great at doing nothing and I like to be in control! I’m also petrified of turning into a post-op BLOB and am on a mission to make recovery as stylish and interesting an experience as possible. I’ve also started to write a blog, mostly for my own sanity, which I’d be really happy to share with you.

Lots of thoughts and good wishes to my fellow operatees!

PS – I’m more of a wasp than a flower 😉

Hi ladies!

Fiona: Than you for adding me to the list!

To Fengirl, CharlieB and Girloon, thank you for sharing your stories. It is reassuring to read of other people going through a similar experience. I have been “stalking” this website for over a year now, reading other’s stories and building up my own courage in facing this operation. The day has come where I am in a forum and sharing my feelings and experience in the hope it will help others. So here goes….

My fibroids were detected in November 2014, prior to that heavy periods, clotting etc I put down to being in my 40’s and maybe the beginning of the change? The fact I looked pregnant I put down to having a big belly after three children. Then one day I had severe stomach pains after seeing my gp fibroids were found and my uterus was a 32-34 week size. Trying to avoid the dreaded “H” , I also made the mistake of reading horror stories on the internet and became scared. So last year I was put on Esmya and instead of shrinking them ….. they grew!

I then realised that a hysterectomy was the only option and I have been on injections since Nov-Jan, my initial date was March but has been changed to April. I now feel and look heavily pregnant… I feel breathless because they are pushing against my lungs and don’t get me started on the number of trips I make to the toilet…. my bladder does not hold much liquid for very long! Due to the pressure of the fibroids.

I know i need the operation….. but still makes me feel abit nervous. My current dilemma was to keep the cervix or not? I have come to the conclusion to have it removed…. but… I read somewhere it provides good support and removing it increases risk of prolapse? This may be all nonsense but if anyone has any views on this I would be interested to hear them.

I am happy to be part of this group and it is reassuring for me to hear some of my fears and worries are similar to others.
    Robin xx 😀

Fiji62
    Participant

Good afternoon ladies,

Girloon, welcome. I have added you to the list. You may find the recovery guide useful. It is pretty accurate for most people. Although there is no large external scar, having a LAVH still means there is a lot of healing to take place inside. You will need to rest, but walking is good – gradually increasing distance / time.

Recovery guide – a realistic guide to recovery
    http://gallery.mailchimp.com/a5692c6457e86f0e2182630fa/files/sbs_recovery.pdf?utm_source=Free+Hysterectomy+Booklet&utm_campaign=30c61c525a-Booklet-14&utm_medium=email

CharlieB – April 6th
    Fengirl – April 7th
    Girloon – April 7th
    Robin45 – April 11th

Fiona x

CharlieB

Hi Everyone
    Hope you all had a good weekend. The sun has been ( and still is! ) shining here, which makes me feel soooo much better.

Loongirl – welcome to our small group! Sounds like you’ve been thought it more than a lot of people. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a new start for you. Please share some of your post op tips ( I’m hoping it won’t be too frustrating/boring as I’m normally pretty active! ) I would love to follow your blog! And I’m sure your not a wasp!

Robin – hello and welcome to you too!

Fengirl – I have one scruffy, labradoodle! He’s about the size of a smallish lab but he’s well built about 28kg.
    Im also very nervous about that initial greeting after the op! I will definitely want mine on a tight lead until he calms down, hopefully they will sense our situation?!? My DH will have to take over my role for a few weeks ( he’s a mummy’s boy – the dog that is! ) it will be hard to just put my feet up and do very little with a demanding hound!… Wow you have 3 BIG dogs! Im sure your DH will be doing his duty too.
    Hopefully by then, the weather will be more settled and we can relax/recoup outside a bit with them.
    C
    Was just about to post and saw your post Robin! Gosh you’ve been through it too!
    Although I’ve had two kids I’m such a wimp and nervous for the op, but ultimately I know life will improve and I will hopefully get my freedom back. It’s good to share our stories and support each other! C

girloon

Wow, you’re all so nice. And it’s lovely to know that I’m probably not the only one sitting here at work, obsessively googling everything hyst-related.

Hi CharlieB – Good on you for working on that core strength with the dog walking! I’m doing some daily reps to keep my tum as strong as possible – I keep reminding myself that I won’t be able to do any exercise for a while afterwards, which makes doing it now seem far less of a chore. Thanks for the encouragement… I reckon that any of us who have gotten to this point have felt more than their fair share of LADYPAIN. And I see that you’re scheduled a day before me! I have loads of plans that I can share with you for keeping ourselves occupied post-op and will definitely share my blog once it’s fit for mass-consumption.

Fengirl65 – Hi! We’re hyst date twins. Like you, I’m worrying a little about preparing everyone around me for the fact that as much as I’m feeling positive about the recovery time, I may not be quite as much fun to be around. Glad to see that you’re going to be well looked after.

Robin45 – Ouch – your story made me wince! I’m at WAR with my cervix, so I’m not kindly disposed to the idea of keeping the silly things around but of course you must do whatever suits you. My surgeon has told me that he will ensure that my pelvic floor muscles are repaired with great care afterwards (in fact, he also added that I’ll feel like a teenager again by the time he’s finished, which was MOST welcome to hear), so that certainly improved my confidence regarding the risk of prolapse.

Fiona – Thank you for the welcome! The advice that sticks with me is ‘you only have one chance to recover from this, so make sure you do it well’.

BTW, these are things that have made me feel better today:

Planning a shellac pedicure with a work friend on my last day in the office next week.
    Thinking about booking a massage for the afternoon of op day (I’m not scheduled until 7pm, so need to fill in those horrible nil-by-mouth hours until my hosp registration at 4pm)
    Adding to my book wishlist

It’s all helping during the countdown….

Fengirl65

Afternoon all! Nice to see our number growing.

CharlieB : I found a thread on here yesterday which was about dealing with our pets post-op. The consensus seemed to be that most animals can sense that you are a bit vulnerable/hurt and treat you more gently than normal… but a pillow across the belly is good “armour” just in case. I think I will gaffer-tape a pillow around my middle, or possibly make myself a whole body pillow-suit – a sort of marshmallow-woman outfit, just to be on the safe side. I see that Girloon is also aiming for a “stylish” recovery, and I think my marshmallow suit idea is going to set the bar pretty high!

Robin 45: I’m so with you on the misery of fibroids. At my last ultrasound, the sonographer gave up and just reported “multiple large fibroids, too many to count“. I had a pedunculated fibroid (one growing on a sort of stalk) which twisted on itself 2 years ago, cutting off its own blood supply. The pain was unbelieveable – emergency admission to hospital, and that was what really started me off down the road to hysterectomy. I, too, am pretty fed up of the distorted anatomy and walking round with a pregnant belly. I have size 10 legs and bum, and size 16-18 belly: I look like a pumpkin on legs. Finding trousers that fit has been interesting.

Girloon: Nice to hear that we are op-buddies for 7th April. I’m sorry to hear what you’ve been through with the cervical issues – that must have been tough. Like you, I have some endometriosis although the extent of it is not clear, so I am unsure what they will find and what might be stuck to what… but that is going on my list of “things I can’t control, so will leave for my surgeon to worry about”. It’ll be interesting to compare experiences of private vs NHS -I’ve only used BUPA once, years ago for wisdom teeth extraction under GA, so wasn’t in for very long, but I do remember it being very nice!

Preparations: I’ve been off work yesterday and today so have been focusing on things I can do to get ready. I have just booked myself a hair appointment for the day before surgery and spent yesterday making post-op comfort food for the freezer. I have downloaded some new books for the Kindle and am shopping on eBay for wool for my next knitting/crochet project. Also on my “to-do” list is to set up my grocery shopping list on Tesco online, so I can just click and have it delivered (which I know many people do anyway, but I’ve always liked doing the food shop in person).

girloon

Good afternoon everyone!

Haha, Fengirl – LOVE the idea of the full body pillow suit! I may just say I’m wearing one in order to explain any post-op belly swell. I’m considering whether or not to buy a full body pillow for snuggling up next to – men move around too much 😕

Glad that you’ve also been planning pre-op maintenance. I ordered a beautiful turban to wear when my hair looks shocking (it can’t usually go a day without washing/a LOT of dry shampoo) so I’m going to need to hide it under something. Massage and leg wax all booked too! It feels like preparing for a really weird holiday. Nice to see that you’re a knitter – I’m a cross stitcher (not a very traditional one…) so it’s been good to plan new projects. And I’m going to pinch your idea for doing some freezer cooking tonight too. The Boy is a great cook but it might mitigate the guilt I’ll feel of doing so little…

Hope you’ve all had a relatively worry free day x

girloon

Oh – The Boy just had a clever thought; when doing grocery orders, make sure you order milk in 1-pints containers (same for juice/water/wine etc). We don’t want to be unable to make ourselves a coffee because we can’t lift those massive 6-pint bottles in the first few weeks 😯

juleskirk50

Hi ladies.

Glad to see all your arrangements are coming along ! 😛 you should have a look at the section I think it’s called ‘top tips from ladies on the done couch’ which has lots of good info – can I also recommend a v shaped pillow which is really handy when sitting in bed or on the sofa – also some windeze and peppermint oil or capsules to help with the inevitable wind 😳 8) xx any questions just ask and pop into the previous months too which can be very useful ! Xx

Lorraine0116

Hello lovely April Flowers,

I have been confirmed today my op will take place on the 30th April, not sure of the abbreviations but I will be having a lapascopic full hysterectomy. I’m so pleased to finally get a date I am going private as the wait is too long through NHS and I just can’t wait any longer., as they advised June at the earliest. I’ve been having prostap injections for the last 6 months that has put my body into a medical menopause, my consultant has given me one more to see me through to my op! After so many years of pain due to endo, fibroids and cysts I’m relieved to get this sorted and I can now start looking forward to a bright pain free future!!

I was told in Jan I was going to have a hysterectomy and I have found this website so helpful with information, shared experiences and kindness, I know this is going to help me through such a major change in my life!

I have an amazing supportive husband and a 13 year old son, they are both self sufficient so I don’t need to worry about stocking the freezer I’m sure they will manage just fine!

Thank you ladies, speak soon X

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 421 total)
  • The topic ‘April Flowers 2016’ is closed to new replies.

Register to Become a Member Today