skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs April April Flowers 2016

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 421 total)
  • Author

MouseAura

Hi Fengirl65 i just popped in from November Nimbus, and wanted to post as i notice we had exactly the same complaint. I had a hysterectomy with BSO due to fibroids, endometriosis and a cyst on one ovary. I had hoped for one to be saved as i am 40 and didnt want to go into menopause, but it was too scarred.

The surgeon found things fused together when he got in there and so the operation became long and tricky, but he did it and now i am feeling great. I did get some bad hot flushes for a while but started on tibolone which is the hrt of choice for endo sufferers as it is a synthetic hormone which means endo left behind wont keep growing. It took 3 months to kick in and work but now the hot flushes and wakeful nights are a thing of the past.

I am so glad i had it done, i have my life back, so good luck to you and all the April ladies. May the done couch be a soft landing for everyone.

Jen x

Fiji62
    Participant

Good morning,

Lorraine,
    I have added you to the list. You may want to get a few treats stashed away in the freezer for your use post op!
    You will be having a Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy (TLH). If you are having both ovaries removed, this is Bilateral Salphingo Oophorectomy (BSO).

Girloon, I too need to wash my hair every day (otherwise it sticks out everywhere). I was able to wash it in the shower the day after my TAH.

CharlieB – April 6th
    Fengirl – April 7th
    Girloon – April 7th
    Robin45 – April 11th
    Lorraine0116 – April 30th

Hope all the preparations are going well!

Fiona x

Lorraine0116

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for adding me and for the abbreviations, so I am going to be having an BSO.

I am loving some of the ideas, I am already looking online for a V-shaped pillow, a hair turban and planning some food to store in the freezer. I am rallying all my friends to come and help out as well, my best friend has offered to come and wash and do my hair for me, my sister has offered housework duties and I am teaching my son how to make tea and carry it without spilling it so he can make me a brew when he gets in from school.

I know I have a few weeks before my op but being prepared I think is what will help us all get through this.

Look forward to getting to know you all and hearing all your stories as we progress through this journey!

Best Wishes x

Fengirl65

@mouseaura wrote:

Hi Fengirl65 i just popped in from November Nimbus, and wanted to post as i notice we had exactly the same complaint. I had a hysterectomy with BSO due to fibroids, endometriosis and a cyst on one ovary. I had hoped for one to be saved as i am 40 and didnt want to go into menopause, but it was too scarred.

The surgeon found things fused together when he got in there and so the operation became long and tricky, but he did it and now i am feeling great. I did get some bad hot flushes for a while but started on tibolone which is the hrt of choice for endo sufferers as it is a synthetic hormone which means endo left behind wont keep growing. It took 3 months to kick in and work but now the hot flushes and wakeful nights are a thing of the past.

I am so glad i had it done, i have my life back, so good luck to you and all the April ladies. May the done couch be a soft landing for everyone.

Jen x

Jen – thank you so much for posting… glad all went well for you. It’s so encouraging to hear from those who have come out the other side of this. I am a little bit apprehensive, because I don’t actually know for sure the extent of my endo. The scans are “suggestive” of endo but only show so much (I’ve had ultrasounds and CT). The only way to really diagnose for certain would be laparoscopy… and there’s no point in doing that when I’m already listed for a full hysterectomy. So, I’m left with the situation that they won’t really know until they get in there and have a good rootle around. My cause for worry is that both my GP and the sonographer have commented that my pelvic anatomy is not “mobile” at all; apparently there should be a certain amount of movement of uterus and tubes/ovaries on examination, but mine’s all kind of “stuck” which is suggestive of endo causing adhesions (? to bowel? ?to bladder – who knows!). But, as I said before, there’s nothing I can do about it, and worrying won’t help, so I’ll have to leave it to the surgeons and hope for the best.

Fengirl65

Lorraine! Hi – welcome to the group. Hopefully some more middle and end of the month ladies will come along soon!

Is anybody else getting paranoid about catching a cold or other illness that would cause the op to be postponed?! I work in a GP surgery where there are always plenty of bugs, so everytime I hear someone cough or sneeze I run like mad in the opposite direction! After all the waiting and preparing and FINALLY getting a date to focus on, I can’t bear the thought of it not happening.

CharlieB

Hello Jen and Lorraine! Welcome to our group.
    Fengirl65, how funny you should mention that, i have been telling my family today how I WILL avoid being around anyone with any form of illness, I’m paranoid about catching anything with less than 3 weeks to go! And with the stress of time running out I couldn’t bear for it to be cancelled because of a cold!

I’m such an unorganised person normally! So impressed with all your prep, I’m going to make a list for the final week, washing and ironing, all HIS work shirts etc, change bed last min, cleaning and some food prep etc. I’ve just bought some big knickers! And loose trousers!
    I’ve found over the last few months I really can’t wear anything even slightly snug round my over large tummy, ive just put my jeans in storage for the future! ( near, hopefully ). My mothers got a v shaped pillow I will borrow, I just need a body suit to protect me from the hound.

I’m having my hair cut and coloured next week! And I’m planning some pampering “post op” ……and I can’t wait to get to that point!!. C

MouseAura

@fengirl65 wrote:

Jen – thank you so much for posting… glad all went well for you. It’s so encouraging to hear from those who have come out the other side of this. I am a little bit apprehensive, because I don’t actually know for sure the extent of my endo. The scans are “suggestive” of endo but only show so much (I’ve had ultrasounds and CT). The only way to really diagnose for certain would be laparoscopy… and there’s no point in doing that when I’m already listed for a full hysterectomy. So, I’m left with the situation that they won’t really know until they get in there and have a good rootle around. My cause for worry is that both my GP and the sonographer have commented that my pelvic anatomy is not “mobile” at all; apparently there should be a certain amount of movement of uterus and tubes/ovaries on examination, but mine’s all kind of “stuck” which is suggestive of endo causing adhesions (? to bowel? ?to bladder – who knows!). But, as I said before, there’s nothing I can do about it, and worrying won’t help, so I’ll have to leave it to the surgeons and hope for the best.

Hi charlieb thank you.

No problem, i had the same, in that they did not know the extent of my endometriosis, and it turned out to be fairly extensive to the point where the surgeon was unable to remove the cervix even if he had wanted to. I didnt mind as i wanted it left anyhow, he was luckily able to unfuse and remove everything else though so it was a success.

I found the run up to the op the worst time of all, i stressed about everything, almost backed out and then got paranoid about getting a cold, then did get a cold 2 weeks before and spiraled into panic lol It was a bad cold but luckily i was just about over it by the time i went into hospital.

Fingers crossed you manage to stay cold free!

Jen x

kazrbutler

My current dilemma was to keep the cervix or not? I have come to the conclusion to have it removed…. but… I read somewhere it provides good support and removing it increases risk of prolapse? This may be all nonsense but if anyone has any views on this I would be interested to hear them.

I saw my consultant yesterday and booked the date for my total hysterectomy with BSO on 8th April. I’m 50, and have had severe bleeding and pain problems for 4 years, with uterine polyps, ovarian cysts and an enlarged uterus due to suspected adenomyosis.

When I asked why she was proposing removing the cervix, she said that it was partly due to medical history and risk, partly because there is the risk of continued spotting if it is left, and partly because there would be less risk of prolapse.

Fiji62
    Participant

Kazrbutler,

Welcome to the April Flowers. I have added you to the slowly growing list.
    I expect that there will be many more coming along to join you – especially when operations are imminent! There are almost certainly ladies reading these posts and finding them helpful, but for a variety of reasons do not want to post.

CharlieB – April 6th
    Fengirl – April 7th
    Girloon – April 7th
    Kazrbutler-April 8th
    Robin45 – April 11th
    Lorraine0116 – April 30th

Fiona x

Fengirl65

@charlieb wrote:

I’ve just bought some big knickers!

Yes! Me too. In Tescos today. Big lady knickers. And some Windeze capsules, and some Dulcoease. Oh, and some cans of prunes for the kitchen cupboard.

What a sad, sad shopping basket that was…! 😥

However, on the plus side, last week I bought what was hopefully my last ever box of Tampax. End of an era.

Lorraine0116

Fengirl65, I’m the same as you they don’t know the extend of my endo, my referral letter included some hospital letters I ad not seen before, and one of them said my ovaries are fixed due to endo so i’m concerned what they will find! I’ve been getting such bad pain in my right side and hip I think I have endo or something stuck to a nerve. So I am hoping all this will go once op over.

A friend of mine had a hysterectomy last year and gave me some tips, big knickers is a must, comfy legging, Charlieb Im with you over the last few months I can only wear lose clothes anything round my tummy is so uncomfortable. I’ve also been told the night before have a light meal no red meat or pasta, because if your surgeon needs to touch your bowel it will clap up and will be difficult to get it going again and the hospital won’t let you go until you’ve opened you bowels, have fish and rice or something. Which is a good tip, also slip on shoes to come home, lip balm, bottle of water with a pull up top she said it’s easier to grab and drink from in the middle of the night.

All you ladies are well before me but I’m looking forward to hearing your stories from hospital to sofa so I can be even more prepared and inspired!!

Best wishes xx

Hello ladies,

Welcome to Karzbutler and Lorraine! Thank you to Julie for your tips and I am searching for a V shaped pillow as we speak. A big thank you to all the other ladies who have popped in from previous groups. It is reassuring to hear from you….. as you have been there and done that! To be honest ladies I am busy with DIY jobs around the house and I just want them done, so I can relax when I am back from the hospital. The aim is to have one free week before the operation, so I can do what you ladies have planned…. which is some pampering. 🙂

You all seem to be very organised in your preparations and the first thing on my list is big pants! 😆

Ladies, I thought I would share my all too frequent experiences these days!

A friend I hadn’t seen in ages saw me and looked so happy, the next thing I know she grabs me for a big hug and congratulated me on my pregnancy….. 😳 ….. I am not pregnant 😥

I tried to break it to her gently that I was not pregnant, she looked absolutely mortified and I tried to reassure that since these fibroids collectively have made my uterus a 32-34 week size, it was understandable. After I told her that a elderly couple who I helped to lift some compost bags. Questioned me if it was wise to lift something so heavy in my condition, I just told them that I was not that far gone…. a conversation with strangers on my fibroids was not one I wanted to have in B&Q! 😕 . She felt abit better. 😉

So another benefit of this hysterectomy is no one will think I am pregnant any more…. and no more awkward silences and mortified looks! 😆

FENGIRL65…… I too resemble a pumpkin!

Fengirl65

@robin45 wrote:

FENGIRL65…… I too resemble a pumpkin!

😛 Everyone talks about the swelly-belly AFTER hysterectomy. At least we’ve been there, done that and have the wardrobe to cope with it. I’ve been weaing floaty, smocky, maternity tops forever.

girloon

Aw, Robin and Fengirl – your posts have just made me laugh and cringe! A friend of mine posted a pic of a t-shirt with ‘my womb is none of your business’ emblazoned across the front. I reckon we could all do with one of those.

Unlike you guys, I’m outwardly symptomless… all the horror is confined to my cervix (fingers very much crossed) and my endo has been controlled by a Mirena for the last 7 years. So, I’m currently lavishing all the love and exercise I can on my little stomach and absolutely dreading swelly belly. I had a panic when I realised how much of my wardrobe I might be unable to wear for a while post-op. So far I’ve steadfastly avoided thinking about BIG pants but I’ve bought some really lovely drawstring cotton trousers in a larger size (god, I hated that). However, I wouldn’t be surprised if I flip out next week and wear a bikini to Waitrose just to make the most of it while I still can.

Lorraine – my turban arrived over the weekend and I’m in LOVE with it! It’s very Margot Leadbetter. AND it’ll hide my fringe when it’s 2 days post hairwash and shouldn’t be viewed in public.

xx

Fengirl65

@girloon wrote:

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if I flip out next week and wear a bikini to Waitrose just to make the most of it while I still can.

I’m quite sure they don’t allow that sort of behaviour in WAITROSE! 😯 Tesco, on the other hand… you can wear wellies and a onesie and no-one will bat an eye. But WAITROSE!? Standards are standards! (But if you do… you should definitely post pics!)

Seriously, though… I would guess we are all more than a bit anxious about the changes our bodies are going to go through, not just immediately post-op but also in the longer term, with menopause and all the hormonal changes, and maybe scarring, and weight gain…urgh. But, at 35, I reckon you’ve got a good few years of bikini-wearing in you yet, Girloon. We just need to be kind to ourselves and let it take as long as it takes to get back to “normal”. x

Fengirl65

OK, let’s talk nighties. I am a pajama gal normally, but following advice gleaned from this site and my pre-op assessment, I realised a nightdress was the way to go, for my hospital stay. (Catheters and pajama legs don’t go well together.) Also, I understand that the surgical ward I will be on is a mixed-sex ward, so ideally I was looking for something burka-like to preserve my modesty. I came up with this which was delivered at the weekend… and I have to say, I really kinda like it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C92BH4O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

It’s a one-size-fits-all kaftan nightie….looks HUGE… but drapes and hangs nicely, with loose armholes (handy if you have an IV drip in). It’s ankle length on me (5’3″). It’ll do.

Fengirl65 : I am loving the grey rose option in the kaftans! Combine it with Girloon’s stylish turban and we will all be looking uber chic in the wards. 8)

Girloon: I am happy to put a smile on your face 😉 It sounds to me as if you have the sassiness to pull off wearing a bikini to Waitrose.

I must admit I am also worried that my poor body will not be the same again in terms of strength and flexibility… I am having a vertical cut where they are taking everything apart from my ovaries.

I hope the rest of the ladies are feeling well x

CharlieB

Hi everyone, loving all your great tips and sense of humours! I too have just bought a nighty from m&s, not really my thing but it will do and some lovely “joggers” from Dorothy P, not my usual choice again but look fab on and can be dressed up – really pleased. Wish I had seen the kaftan before, what a great idea for the ward and recovery. Like most of you I’ve lived in Leggins ( dark colours always! ) and very loose tops, always hiding my middle, I’m fairly slim everywhere else! Can’t wait to get back to how I used to be and wear some lighter colours and hopefully find my waist again….. eventually!. Great idea to get in some windeze and dulcoease, and have a very light meal the night before. Can’t believe I’ve only got 2 weeks left.
    I met a friend on Friday who had a total LAH in December. She’s in her late fifties and literally sailed through. She was driving within 3 weeks and resuming a sensible form of normality at that point too. Maybe she was very lucky but it was lovely to hear such a positive story.
    Best wishes to all X

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 421 total)
  • The topic ‘April Flowers 2016’ is closed to new replies.

Register to Become a Member Today