skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs April April Operation 2

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • Author

Katecoe37

Marie what is it u have to drink?
    hopefully it’s just a mistake and u still get ur surgery at the end of the month xx

veronica

The big day is Monday, work has been lovely and supportive. I have had surgery before but nothing as life-changing as this, I am really worried about the physical and mental after effects.

Marie

Kateco – I was given the drinks at my pre-op assessment, There are six drinks that contain essential vitamins and minerals and are high in electrolytes. I have to drink 4 the evening before and two before 6am on the day. Apparently they are part of an accelerated recovery programme. The electrolytes keep you hydrated for 48 hours so you feel less crappy when you wake up and the vitamins and minerals aid healing.

I’m a VERY fussy eater and will have t be forced to drink them!

Fiji62
    Participant

Marie – chill them first, they are more palatable that way!

Fiona x

Marie

Already in the fridge!

Vonnie1974

Hi ladies I’m done!! Had epidural as well as general not in too much pain very tired! They left my overies which I’m pleased but also my cervix as attatched to my bowel so would of needed a bag if it was removed but atleast womb gone nomore gushing periods!! Along side my fybroids they found endometriosis too just so relieved it’s over! Bleeding a little at the mo but hopefully it will slow down xx

Glynise

Good news Vonnie ? I’m nervous but looking forward to getting mine over and done with on Monday.

Wishing you a good nights sleep ???
    Glynise x

Phillipa

Yay Vonnie, ? hope today have a good restful sleep ?

Vonnie1974

The worst part for me was the waiting I had to be here for 11:30am but surgery was at 2 gives you far too much time to think lol x

veronica

3 days to go, keeping myself busy to help take my mind off things. I regret that I did not get my fibroids treated when I was diagnosed several years but I was still of child-bearing age and I was scared that I might end up having a hysterectomy.

Caroline

Morning ladies, all done now. Had a bit of a rough night as not much sleep and felt very sick. Up and about this morning, even managed to put a bit of make up on. Saw consultant earlier who said all went well but had to make the incision bigger due to the size of my uterus. Pain relief wise, just taking paracetamol and ibuprofen x

Glynise

What time do you have to be there on Monday Veronica? I have to be there for 7.30am ?

Andrea
    Participant

Welcome to the couch Caroline and Vonnie ! Hope you are both ok this morning….I’m getting about a bit more but pain is not good of I forget to take any tablets !!! Can any one advise me on when I can stop wearing these bloody stockings ???? They are driving me bonkers ?

veronica

I have to be there at 7.30, I have to ring the ward beforehand to make sure they have a bed :). The last time I had surgery I had to wait 8 hours before I went to theatre. It is likely that I will be having a vertical incision as my tummy is so large.

juleskirk50

Hi Andrea,

There is so much conflicting advice given re these stockings – you could call the ward you were on for some advice – some are told to keep them on for 6 weeks ? While others are told they can remove them when they like. !! I took mine off after a couple of weeks as they were driving me crazy and they are not the easiest things to get on and off yourself and I felt I was mobile enough so I ditched them but if you are a higher risk then you probably need to keep them on for a few weeks so it’s probably better to check if your use not sure. Xx

Sharon

Morning ladies,

Nice to hear to everyone is doing ok. I just wish Monday to come so the waiting is over. Going to keep busy this weekend with family then hopefully I won’t be sitting waiting all day Monday.

Sharon

Andrea
    Participant

Thanks Jules…I will give the ward a call and ask.
    Sharon, Veronica and Glynise..wishing you all a nice relaxing weekend, or a busy one to make the time go quickly ??!!!

K

Ha – I’ve just received the date for my pre-op assessment, and it’s the day before my operation. So much for asking any questions beforehand!

It’s a bit of a problem because I did have a very important question for them, which was whether I need to stop using my Butrans painkiller patches before I go for the op, and if so, how long before, and what am I supposed to do about my ongoing nerve pain (from being squashed by a car a few years ago) if I have to stop the pain meds?

Hopefully this won’t be relevant to any of you, but just in case someone in future has a similar problem and searches back through this forum:

As far as I know (through doing my own research) because Butrans is an opioid drug then it will probably mean that if I have any in my system then it will lessen/negate the effect of morphine if they give it to me. So not only is it likely that the anaesthetist will get me to stop using the Butrans (because it’s not ideal to have it at the same time as the anaesthetic), but if I’m given morphine then it might not work properly. Sigh.

I’m glad I read up about this beforehand, and also glad that I’m cheeky enough to ‘prod’ the medical profession, because as a result I have emailed my gynae consultant, who then emailed an anaesthetist, who pretty much confirmed the above scenario. So instead of finding out the day before that I should come off my opioid pain meds ‘cold turkey’ (and/or possibly have my operation delayed), I have now had chance to request other painkillers from my GP that I can use beforehand.

The moral of this story is: (1) If you’ve got underlying medical conditions apart from the gynaecological ones then it’s likely that you won’t fit into the usual “sausage factory” admin process that hospitals enjoy using, so (2) Don’t be afraid to email/write the consultant or GP if you’re pretty sure you’ve fallen through a crack somewhere 😀

(I made sure that I gave them a brief summary of the relevant problem (it was shorter than this post), and phrased my questions so that they could be very quickly answered with a yes/no if necessary, so that I would hopefully be more likely to get a reply and would also waste as little of their time as possible.)

Just another 12 days to go and then I can join everyone on the Done Couch!

Kxx

Katecoe37

Evening ladies

Quick question I have to be at the hospital at 11am for my operation on Wednesday and just wondered if any of you lovely ladies had to be in at that time and when their op was I’m not sure what time they stop operating and were I am on the list,supposedly it could be a very long day ?

Adele

Glad everyone is recovering well .

Does everyone get the stockings to wear i didnt realise about these . ??

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • The topic ‘April Operation 2’ is closed to new replies.

Register to Become a Member Today