skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs April April operation 4

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Katecoe37

Hi all

We all must chat so much have had to start another April group ?
    Hope all ladies are doing well and recovering comfortably xx

veronica

I am 24 days post-op and have just received a letter from occupational health to say they are going to carry out a telephone interview on Monday with regard to me returning to work. I am going to request that I go back part-time for a few weeks, although I am mobile and pain free I am still tired, not sleeping well and generally have a nap in the afternoons.

Glynise

Oooo that seems quite early to be discussing a return to work? Is that usual, I work for myself so not used to dealing with occupational health!

Quick question- have you April gals got your 6 week post op appointments through yet? I haven’t…

Claire
    Participant

Hi Veronica
    I would think very carefully before you agree to go back even part time, especially as you had a vertical incision and some complications. I am sure if necessary your doctor would extend your sick note. Mine did, no questions asked.
    It is very easy to feel the subliminal pressure to return when in reality we all know that as soon as you are back everyone expects you to be 100%!

Stay strong!

Claire

juleskirk50

Evening ladies,

Veronica I would think it’s a little early to be thinking of going back to work even part time – most of us need at least 6 weeks and indeed the amount of healing which is still taking place internally takes at least that long so be very careful before you agree to return – I’d have a word with my gp and get another sick note if you need one and allow yourself a bit more time to heal strongly good luck ans take care xx

Katecoe37

Hi ladies
    Glynise I received my 6 week post op check up through the post a week after my operation.been another rough week had to visit the hospital yesterday for pain in leg and breathless which they thought was chest infection ie been through 2 lots of antibiotics had ecg,blood taken and x ray yesterday and back to hospital this morning for scan on chest and leg fingers crossed all will be ok.
    Hope all other ladies are doing well ??

Louise100

Does anyone know if it’s ok to have a bath before six weeks is up?

Fiji62
    Participant

Hi Louise,
    I am afraid that there is no definitive answer on this! I was advised by my practice nurse to soak in the bath with a handful of rock salt when I had the start of a wound infection 8 days post abdominal surgery. I know that many are told no baths for 6 weeks. There is a potential risk of infection via the vagina which is why no swimming is advised for 6 weeks.
    I would suggest that you contact the ward for advice. Certainly if you do get the go ahead, avoid perfumed bath products to start with.

Sorry not to be able to give a clear answer,

Fiona x

Glynise

Funny you should mention a bath Louise, I finally had one last night and I’m 25 days post op… I was told I could bath from when I left hospital though, as long as I thoroughly dried the area afterwards!

Glynise

I used organic Epsom salts in the bath too! ?

Glynise

Sorry to hear you are still having some problems Kate, hope all goes well at hospital for you today ??

Just another quick question ladies…. I went to the docs on Tuesday as although my would is healing well, a couple of the dissolvable stiches seemed to be lingering! She said it looked ok, however, yesterday I found a thick twine like piece of thread, which is hanging through the healed area of scar by about 2″… not sure whether to snip it off or go back to the doctors?? ?

veronica

Hi Claire

Thank you for your advice,I feel ok in myself except I am bored and not sleeping. I went to the doctor about my sleeping issues, they did not prescribe anything, to be honest it was good to talk about how I am feeling. I have completed my antibiotics and have an appointment with the nurse on Monday for a wound review.

I am not sure what the interview with occupational health will involve or what is meant by a phased return to work. I have not received my outpatient from the hospital yet, I am 25 days post-op.

Alison Smith

Hi, Not sure I am chatting on right section but saw your name Glynise and got to start somewhere!! I am a bit technology phobic but would really value somebody to talk to.
    I had TAH on 26th April and been home since Saturday. Was not anticipating as much pain as this? Where can I find out about others experiences
    Look forward to chatting
    Alison

Lynne

hi all,

Alison welcome. This is the right place for your questions. We all had our ops in April at some time too. Mine was on 24 April.

My question to everyone is regards wounds and itchiness. I had laparoscopic hysterectomy and my belly button wound has been itching terribly for past two days which I have put down to the healing process. However I have e today seem that the skin is really quite red all around it, so now wondering if might be the start of an infection. I’ve showered every day and kept it clean.

Has anyone else had the laparoscopic op and how were there wounds? Any itchiness?

11 days post op for me.

Glynise

Well done Alison, you’ve arrived at the right place ?

I was hoping you would feel a bit better than when I spoke to you the other day – hopefully you will feel more comfortable very soon. I’ve actually had a bit more discomfort in the last couple of days but I think it’s maybe the internal stitches starting to heal and get tighter.

Glynise

Louise100

Veronica it seems so early for you to be thinking about going back to work. When you speak to occupational health can you ask them for another appointment after you have had your hospital appointment and arrange to return after that if you are well enough. Do you have to drive to work and have you been able to drive yet?
    The occupational health department may not expect you to return yet, they may just want to see how you are to tick their boxes and plan for the future.
    Whatever the conclusion I hope it is important that it is right for you and your health, don’t let them rush you x

Thank you all for the answers about having a bath. I think I’m going to leave it for now, I’m a bit worried about getting stuck in there!

veronica

Hi Louise

I usually walk or catch the bus to work,I don’t drive, and I have desk job working in IT support. I am mobile and pain free but I have had a wound infection for which I had a course of antibiotics. My vertical incision is still covered as there are a couple of gaps where it has not knitted together properly.

Thank you for your advice, occupational health will be phoning me on Monday

Alison Smith

Thank you for welcoming me. Not sure about itchiness, Are you still dressing wound? I have had various conflicting advice on this. Must admit I feel a bit more protected with a dressing on but was only sent out of hospital with two!
    Glynise I think we underestimate what is going on internally, sorry to hear you have had more discomfort.
    My urine came back as satisfactory so can only guess pain on urinating id due to internal pulling on bladder.

Take care Alison

Lynne

My belly button wound has gone from itchy to downright sore so that I’m holding it in protectiveness, in about an hour! Called the hospital ward and they’ve asked me to go in at 7.30pm for a wound check. Feel so much better about it. What fantastic service.

Veronica – re Occupational Health, you are NOT well enough to meet with them at the moment. By all means, have a telephone conversation, but for any physical meeting, this should not be until you are least 6 weeks post-op when you will have a clearer idea on your recovery. They cannot insist on this by the way.

Employers will have a policy I’m sure on employee absence and how to manage their return to work, but to meet with them whilst they are still in early recovery phase (which you are given the scale of op), would be unlawful.

If possible, perhaps have a friend with you when they visit too, for a bit of moral support. This would be allowed and may ease any anxiety you feel at the time of the meeting. Please don’t feel bullied or pressured however into meeting them sooner.

veronica

Hi Vajazzle

I am only 25 days post-op and occupational health sent me a letter to say the would phone me Monday, not sure what the format of this conversation will be.

Thank you for your advice, its really helpful.

Veronica

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today