skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs April April operation 4

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Lynne

Hi Veronica, I’d be pretty pissed off to receive that letter and I would recommend you state on the telephone that the receipt of the letter, so early after a major operation, has caused you undue stress and concern.

A hysterectomy on its own is an emotional journey and pressure about a phased return to work could easily cause anxiety, which would set back recovery. Again, I would state that. They really should know better.

Wishing you a good weekend.

X

Hayley
    Participant

Glynise, with regard to the stitch, I’d get it removed by doctor/nurse, jus to be on the safe side.

I had one right at the end of my wound that ended up sticking backwards into my skin and making it very sore.

Take care Hx

Hayley
    Participant

Vajazzle, sounds like you may have a bit of an infection there. Great that you are being seen so quickly.

Veronica, I’ve just started to accept a few tasks to do at home from work. Like you I’m a bit bored and I see it as breaking myself in gently, I’m just over 5 weeks post op. But I am still having some bad days where if I was at work I don’t think I could manager. Remember if you are walking or going by bus it means you will be carrying a bag, this shouldn’t be any real weight at all at your stage of recovery. You mentioned your wound hasn’t ‘knitted’ fully yet. Getting up and down from a desk will put pressure on in the area of your wound. You must take these things into account when you talk about starting back. Do whats best for you not them.

Take care Hx

Glynise

Thanks for the advice Hayley, I have booked an appt for Monday ?

Lynne

Yep definite wound infection and now armed with antibiotics. Can’t say I enjoyed the wound clean very much though… nearly went through the roof!

Andrea
    Participant

Hope you wound check went ok Vajazzle…
    I too had a laparoscopic and have little bits of stitch sticking out which I have snipped off as close to skin as I can…they had sewn my tummy button up and had the stitched removed by nurse as they hadn’t dissolved !!!
    I’m due back to work a week on Monday (15th) and am worries about how my tummy will be as it’s been really swelling again over past couple of days when I have tried to do a few more ‘normal’ things ? and this makes me think I may have to go back part time for a couple of weeks …luckily I have a great boss and can work from home if it comes to it !!!

Andrea
    Participant

Ouchie…..hope the antibiotics kick in ASAP xx

veronica

The organisation I work for is very supportive about me having time off work, but the occupational health is a third party company. I am not going to allow myself to be pressurised into going back to work when I am not ready especially as I have a wound that is not healing properly.

Alison Smith

Hi Vajazzle, That is a good service to get wound check so quickly. I was told on discharge that released to care of GP and as it was bank holiday weekend ‘Urgent Care centre’ if can not get hold of GP. Rang Surgery on Tuesday regarding concerns over pain (possible urine infection) and they never called me. Rang again Wednesday as soon as they opened to be told the reason they had not rang is I had been booked for telephone consultation on Friday 5th!! Needless to say a doctor rang me 5 minutes after on Wednesday. How are you today? Is wound still sore?
    Speak soon Alison

Lynne

Hi Alison,

I had my op done privately at a BMI hospital via health insurance and I am so so grateful for the premiums I’ve paid! It really has made such a difference to all the diagnostics and then through to the op and aftercare. It was a relatively cheap insurance too!

I called the ward last night and they made an appointment for me to see the nurse immediately, who took a look at the wound, did other obs and called the resident doctor. Infection diagnosed, antibiotic prescription given, a promise of a call on Tuesday when the swabs come back from lab as the antibiotic prescribed MIGHT not be appropriate if it’s a certain strain of infection. My son took me to a reasonably local Boots midnight pharmacy and Bobs your uncle!

I must say the wound hurts a LOT! Now am not able to move around as well as I was due to it hurting but it’s all on the outside rather than pain on the inside, which feels rather different.

So I’m on a very lazy restful weekend now in the hope that it starts to feel better by Monday. None of this is easy with a demanding 14 year old and a 7 year old who just wants to talk at me incessantly lol.

Anyone else getting their hot flushes yet? Mine are now coming in earnest but so far, nothing compared to what I was having before op and all perfectly manageable.

Love to all
    X

Lynne

Veronica, really pleased to hear your employer is supportive as that will
    Make a huge difference. And so pleased you won’t feel pressurised by the third party. Hope you have a good weekend.

Lisa

Hi all, I’m Lisa. I had a DaVinci/laparoscopic total hysterectomy with BSO on 6th April. I’m a bit concerned as I’ve had some spotting the last few days and it seems to be continuing, rather than stopping. I had read somewhere it could be the internal stitches dissolving at about week 4, which is where I am. Or possibly it could be my body telling me I’ve overdone it…
    Have any of you have had any experience of bleeding? I’m concerned as I don’t have a cervix anymore, so wouldn’t expect to bleed st all.
    Any advice is kindly welcome…! Xx

juleskirk50

Evening lisa and welcome,

some light bleeding / spotting is normal following surgery and when your stitches start to dissolve but if it does not stop and you feel unwell it could be an infection and it’s best to get it checked out – just keep an eye on it and if it gets heavier I’d be inclined to call your gp just to check all is well. Xx

Alison Smith

Hi All,
    Any thoughts on when pain improves? 11 days post op and still on round the clock pain medication. If I miss a dose or for example slept since 10pm and woken up in toe curling, crying, shaking, pain. Don’t want to be impatient and thought I was fairly used to pain (pre-op).
    Any thoughts?
    Alison

Eleven days is very early into your recovery. We all heal differently, even if we’ve had exactly the same op on paper. For some of us, the consultant will have had to work hard to remove scar tissue and adhesions causing bruising throughout the lower abdomen. How bad things were before has a massive bearing too on how you’ll be post op

Take the pain relief for another week religiously. Set timers for doses. The body responds to pain, learns to react so a bit of breakthrough pain will set you back. Keeping on top of it will mean your body can heal rather Than sending out ‘stress’ hormones and eating to the pain. It’s not an embarrassment or a failing that you need pain relief still. Base your recovery on YOU not others quick recoveries.
    It’s a very personal journey. You are not a wimp!

Alison Smith

Hi, Thanks for encouraging reply. Hadn’t thought I was a wimp before this!! Things were pretty bad pre-op. Daily Mefenamic acid and co-codamol for pain. Anaemia and on reduced hours at work. Having had four vaginal births they were hoping to do Vaginal Hysterectomy but had to resort to abdominal due to size of womb and fibroids. Scar tissue too (previous failed Endometrial Ablation).
    Good advice about not letting pain get too bad before take tablets. Think I will set alarm in night as seems to be bad when slept for longer period of time.
    Thanks and hope everyone is improving
    Alison

veronica

I had my telephone interview with occupational health today, they asked me about my health and what medication I am on etc. I explained that someone comes to see me to help with shopping, housework, laundry etc and that I have had an infected wound that is not healing properly. They are going to review my situation once I have had my outpatients follow-up appointment, the plan is for a phased return.

veronica

I am 4 weeks post-op and my wound is still not healing despite antibiotics, I had it redressed again and I have another appointment to see the nurse on Thursday.

Louise100

Veronica, I’m glad that occupational health seemed sensible, a review after your six week appointment sounds like a good idea. I really hope your wound starts to heal properly soon. Xx

veronica

Louise100, it does not help that after 4 weeks I am still suffering from constipation, so going to the loo is difficult. I have been taking lactulose but sometimes this works too well, so I do not take it everyday.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today