skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs April April operation 4

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Lisa

Thank you for the reply and advice, Julie. I am still spotting but it’s very on and off, so for now I’m slowing myself down when it gets worse and resting up. I haven’t called the GP yet.
    I suffered from horrendous constipation too, as I stopped taking Movicol. Now I take one sachet a day and am perfectly balanced! It does taste gross but it does the job. Lactulose isn’t the best laxative for us post op ladies.
    Can anyone tell me the significance of the post op check with consultant, as my appt is scheduled for the end of June, my op was April 6th, and I anticipate I will be back at work by then, although my lovely GP thinks I should take 12 weeks off! I suppose I will have to use my GP as my check up/clearance to go back to work as the consultant appt is so far away!
    It makes me nervous seeing some of you talking about going back to work soon, as I’m still on full dose tramadol/naproxen/paracetamol and pregabalin.
    I hope you are all resting and listening to your bodies whilst you heal xx

Katecoe37

Hi all
    4 weeks post op had TAH BSO it’s been a rough few weeks chest/wound infection,hospital visit for suspected blood clot thank god every thing was ok
    Seems like it’s one step forward and 10 backwards ??? still in quite a lot of pain trying to do general everyday things and it’s exhausting ??

veronica

I am 30 days post-op and my wound is still not healing properly, and I am in pain today, have taken some codeine which has not helped, I am going to ring the hospital and see what they say, although I have an appointment with the practice nurse, I might need to go back to the hospital for a wound check.

veronica

Day 31 and I have had my wound redressed and been prescribed a second course of antibiotics. I had to smile when the nurse asked me if I wanted to book in for a smear test, I politely replied I had nothing left to test, don’t they read your notes!!

Glynise

Yes Veronica,I will be interested to see if my Medical Centre removes me from the smear test list they have been advised to via letter!!!

So sorry to hear you are still having problems with the healing of your wound. I think you said yours is a vertical wound – I’m sure there is much more internal healing and that’s why the process takes longer.

Like you, I’m 32 days post op now and as I’d been feeling pretty good I decided to do a few hours work on 2 days of this week!
    Mmmmm the first day I overdid it and had to take ibuprofen and sit down for the rest of the the day – as I already had the other client booked in for 2 days later, I armed myself with ibuprofen before I started and luckily this one only took two hours. I felt ok, but made sure I had a lay down on the bed for an hour after.
    As my job involves being on my feet I will now wait now until 6 weeks before I try some work again….

Also, sorry to read you have been going through it Kate.
    Just want to wish both of you and all the other ladies a speedy onward recovery.
    Glynise ?

Lynne

Morning everyone,

Healing vibes sent to everyone going through the mill at the moment.

I finish my course of antibiotics today and think they have certainly done the trick. Wound now not hurting / stinging any more and lots of gunk has come out… so fingers crossed.

I had a fantastic nights sleep on Tuesday and as a result was so chirpy on Wednesday and it was my first day pain free since the op (18 days now). I clearly overdid it and was on my feet too much so yesterday was spent lying down a lot due to the dragging and “grating” feeling.

My consultant said to me upon discharge, take it easy for 3-4 days. 3-4 days!! Nearly 3 weeks on and I am still very much taking it easy because I can’t do anything but!! He might have 40 years experience but still a man… pffft.

I do feel that I’ve turned a corner in the recovery though, pain drastically reduced but still taking meds. Thinking about not taking them from this weekend once antibiotics ended…. but might chicken out!

Lynne

Ooh p.s. My morning routine consists of 2 freshly squeezed oranges with a spoonful of dark brown sugar dissolved in the glass; mashed banana, porridge oats, milled chia seeds, spoonful of Manuka honey, raisins, almond milk topped with some strawberries, blueberries, melon and pineapple. This is helping hugely with the bowel function so that I can pretty much say I’m regular now…. albeit when I need to go, I am crippled with pain until it passes.

Hot flushes more regular too…
    But still less severe than before the op.

Memory is absolutely shot to pieces and I struggle to remember simple words for things!’

Hello surgical menopause!

veronica

I have had a tough year health wise, last August I was diagnosed with breast cancer and I have been through surgery, radiotherapy and now on medication for 5 years. Just as I thought I had turned a corner they told me the best course of action for me was to have a hysterectomy as a belt and braces approach to my cancer, and because I had been living with massive fibroids for several years. I feel fine apart from this wound not healing properly and I am now on a second course of antibiotics, the problem seems to be around my belly button area.

Katecoe37

Hi all 4 weeks 4 days since TAH BSO feeling very low and teary.
    Recovery has been a rollercoaster not many ups but a lot of downs ??
    Really hope I start to feel brighter soon,family helping with the physical side of recovery but the emotional side they don’t get keep getting told to smile and b happy but hard at moment so many emotions going on ? Menopause has hit me like a freight train and hrt tablets don’t seem to be helping either got to wait another 3 weeks till they review the hrt tablets and mayb try me another lot ???
    To all the other ladies have u felt this way and does it get better!!!!

Lynne

Morning all,

Veronica, oh my you really have had a tough year. I’m so very sorry to read this. On a positive note, the belt and braces can only help so try hard to bear with it, listen to your body, ask for help when you need it and don’t be afraid to speak to GP, consultant or nurses if something doesn’t feel right.

Kate, my sympathies for what you are going through. I think this is totally normal for someone who is launched into surgical menopause. Even though I’m only 48, I have been peri menopausal for around 8 years and have experienced all of your symptoms at various times, but being “peri” would only last for a day or so before my hormones fluctuated again.

I had what I’m terming as “baby blues” around 8 days after my op but since then, my emotions have been ok. Hot flushes are fairly constant though. I’m not on any HRT (cold turkey) as I had already experienced so much before, I don’t want to postpone the full menopause any more. My sister for example had TAH at age 38, then BSO at age 43. She was put on HRT at that point and carried on until 2 years ago she was 58. Now she’s off HET, she’s got all menopause symptoms now. I would much rather get it over with now…. but we’ll see how I feel in a few weeks time!!

So no real advice, just empathy and understanding from me x

Katecoe37

Thank u for replying vajazzle,I was on the zoladex injection (which puts u through menopause) for 9 months prior to surgery so I have already experienced the menopause ?
    If I take hrt till I’m roughly 50 which will be 12 years when I come off them will have have to go through all the symptoms again? I’m sooooo confused ?‍♀️ xxx

Lynne

Hi Kate… I’m no medical expert but that’s as I understand it from various people who’ve been on it. And it makes sense to me. The HRY is putting estrogen and other hormones back in your body therefore diminishing the symptoms of the menopause. It therefore stands to reason IMO that when you stop taking the medication, you face the esteogen removal again….

veronica

Hi Vajazzle

I have an appointment tomorrow with the practice nurse for a wound review, my incision is starting to smell but on the positive side I don’t have a raised temperature.

Alison Smith

Hi All, Day 18 for me today and advice needed please. I am still experiencing bad Abdominal pain when urinating and for a while after. There was no infection when tested at Day 9. I have been feeling better since two week point and cut back on painkillers but last two days stomach looks more swollen than it was at the beginning. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Don’t really want to bother GP if this is normal. Thankful for this forum as once discharged feel very much on my own with all this.
    Many Thanks
    Alison

Lynne

Hi Alison,

It doesn’t sound normal to me. When I went back to hospital because I thought I had a wound infection, they also asked me lots of questions about urinating.

Please do go back to get it checked.

X

Alison Smith

Thanks Vajazzle. Wound itself looks like it’s healing well but guess we don’t know what’s going on inside!!!
    Alison

Fiji62
    Participant

Hi Alison,

If you are worried, please go to see your GP.
    The bladder gets bruised during surgery and can be painful- particularly when emptying for several weeks.
    Have you been doing a bit more as that could cause the swelly belly to increase. This too can last for a while. As your body goes through different stages of healing you can feel as if you are going backwards. I clearly remember thinking that I had hit a wall at the 3 week stage – but it does get better! It is still very early days in recovery. Keep on top of pain with regular painkillers and ensure you get enough rest.

Fiona x

Alison Smith

Thanks Fiona,
    Think bruising may be cause. They did scan my bladder in hospital. Should of asked more questions at the time. Really is worst symptom at moment and putting me off wanting to do a wee!
    Yes probably done a bit more though trying to stick to week by week guide as much as possible.
    Take Care
    Alison

veronica

Day 35 – wound cleaned and redressed, starting 2nd course of antibiotics, going back for a wound review on Thursday.

Occupational health are calling me again next Monday.

veronica

day 36, its my birthday today, been out for a meal with friend one of whom made me a cake, had a brilliant time, needed cheering up after the month I have had, got a sick note for 2 extra weeks, the plan is to go back to work on a phased return on 5th June.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today