skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs August August 2018 part 2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

juleskirk50

Hi ladies here is the continuation for August as the original is now closed to replies. Xx

Welcome jillie – you should try drinking peppermint tea or tablets or mixing peppermint oil with warm water that all helps with the wind and helps to get your bowels moving – also drink plenty water and move around as much as you are able to even if it’s just wandering around the house every hour or so – this should all help to get your bowels moving again xx

Juliemacca – 6th August – On Done Couch
    Augusta18 – 8th August – On Done Couch
    Jackie – 13th August – On Done Couch
    Mrskj – 14th August – On Done Couch
    Maggie woo – 14th August – On Done Couch
    Tasha – 16th August – On Done Couch
    Maggie 21st August – On Done Couch
    Jillie – 21st August – On Done Couch
    Weebuddy – 22nd August – On Done Couch
    Millie – 30th August
    Marimbos50 – TBC ( 26/9)

weebuddy
    Participant

Hi Ladies,
    Got home from hospital Sunday 26th and it was great to get into my own bed. The thing that has gotton me is most definetly the wind and constipation. I have problems with my bowels anyway so im really struggling.
    I have dissolvable stitches so my wound has to be checked on Thursday so fingers crossed that all will be ok. Im just worried that all these constant trips too and from the loo are going to hamper my scar and insides healing, but time is going in its nearly a week since surgery so we shall see xx

ethmet
    Participant

Hi weebuddy,

Thank you for this information, will make sure that wind and constipation remedies are high on my list. I am so glad that you got through it all and are now back home. 🙂 I really did put myself in your shoes when you were getting ready to go in 🙁
    Every day should be a little better for you. I am sure many people have this problem, but i know it must be a worry as to when it is going to stop, when you are in a state. You are healing all the time, probably when your body is done with that part a bit more, it will kick a normal bowl routine into touch for you. 🙁 I do sympathise. I know when I have those kind of problems, that is all that is on my mind.
    Please rest, in between toilet trips, to give your body the time to save all its energies to heal you.
    Did you find anything that worked successfully for wind or for the constipation? Angela xx

weebuddy
    Participant

Hi Ethmet,
    Thanks yes im just resting as the tiredness is really overwhelming but as you say its just the body healing. Feeling a bit better today and had a little movement never been so happy lol im afraid for me the peppermint tea etc didnt work, in hospital they gave me an ennema that helped, and now im home im on movicol sachets 4 a day and they have to increase if that doesnt work. I do find up and walking helps disperse it and im just eating light things dont really have an appetite, but everyones different. So a day at a time. Do you have a date yet for your surgery? xxx

ethmet
    Participant

Weebuddy,
    I am glad they attended to you in hospital and at least you got some relief there. I might get some movicol in from the chemist. Thank you for your advice. I am hoping to move as quickly as I am able. Been looking at foot exercises in bed today 😀
    Mine is 17th September Weebuddy. I go for my pre-op only 5 days before on the 12th, so I am getting all my questions ready. Whether i get them answered is another matter. Primarily i want to know if i am having staples or stitches and how long i will be on the heparin injections. I have lowered my BMI, which is now showing at slimming world at 28.7. But I am hoping to get it lower than that, maybe below 28 in the next two weigh ins. I am hoping that is enough for them to give me stitches. My friend told me if you are over a certain BMI you get he injections for longer and are more likely to have staples. I was told it was 30, i always think I haven’t done enough. Probably not going to enjoy my lettuce whilst i watch Bake Off tonight!! Love Angela.

weebuddy
    Participant

Hi Ethmet,
    17th September thats not long to go, and I think after you have your premed you will feel a bit more assured.
    My BMI is well over 30 and I have dissolvable stitches and I received the herapin injections only for my time in hospital, I am wearing the lovely stockings that you are given and have to wear for 6 weeks. It sounds as if you are really prepared and doing all that you can. It is a worrying time and I was like you getting lots of advice, but at the end of the day its amazing what your body can be pushed too and can come through, but I would say as long as you enter your operation with a positive mindset you will be fine xx

ethmet
    Participant

Thanks so much Weebuddy. 6 weeks for the stockings!!! Hells bells!! I don’t fancy that. It is very reassuring that you had the dissolvable stitches. I feel a lot better about that matter.
    I will know more, like you say, 2 weeks today, which is premed. I am positive, and prepared with all my stuff, I just have a wobble sometimes and I don’t want to mess up.
    Thanks so much, and I hope you are feeling well today ‘down below’
    Love Angela (ethmet) x

weebuddy
    Participant

Yes it is such worry before and Id be lying if I said im still not worrying about this and that, but yes im beginning to loosen down below so relief lol
    What are we like be new women by the end of the year xxxxx

juleskirk50

Good evening ladies I hope you’re all resting and recovering well – just take it nice and easy and you’ll all get there it just takes time xx

Millie good luck for tomorrow I hope all goes well and you land nice and gently onto the done couch xx

weebuddy
    Participant

Hi Julie, thanks, yes just resting and taking it easy xx

Good luck for tomorrow Millie xx

Augusta18
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Hope recovery is progressing well for everyone.

I’m doing ok physically – was back in ED last week with some bleeding but just a minor infection so am on antibiotics to clear it. It’s amazing how much the vertical wound has healed in 3 weeks. I’m trying to walk the recommended 20 mins twice a day but am a bit hampered by living on a steep hill – I’m going to try walking slowly uphill tomorrow and see how I go.

Emotionally things aren’t going so well and I’ve felt overwhelmed a lot this week. My OH, whilst a good and kind man is a bit hopeless at anything emotional and just tends to disappear or retreat into himself when I get upset. He’s not a naturally affectionate or demonstrative person and I don’t think he really understands the huge impact of a hysterectomy. He doesn’t like talking about things. I wish there was a booklet available addressed to men to let them know what to expect, what their partner is going through and some strategies for being supportive.

I feel very alone. My mum is dead and my three sisters live a long way away. We moved here (NZ) from the UK a year ago so I don’t have a network of friends close by to help me through this. And to top everything off I’ve started getting horrendous hot flashes – not unexpected with the ovary removal – but I’m unable to sleep and feeling uncomfortable all the time. Unexpectedly my best support at the moment is coming from my 15 year old son who is being amazing, but I don’t feel it’s fair to him to lean heavily on him for support.

Any words of wisdom gratefully received!

Love to you all.
    Gussie x

ethmet
    Participant

Aw Gussie, I do feel sorry for you. My husband is the same as yours, and I am 2 weeks away from my op. Emotionally, I won’t get the support I need. I am hoping I just don’t need it. I am an only child, my parents live nearly 100 miles away and my older children live away from home.

Hopefully the feelings will pass soon as your body finds its natural ebb and flow again. Just believe it will and have hope that it will pass. Try to find distractions that get you through the day. I know when you are low, it’s hard to concentrate on anything. I am heartened however about the rate your vertical incision has healed as I will be getting one too.

I understand that you don’t really want to lean on your son, but you are in desperate need and he is family. My son, was very caring at 15, now at 19, he is a typical bloke and it is all gone. He will be at uni anyway. Just think how you son would feel if he knew you had been extremely low and had not come to him. I am just glad that you have someone. Bless him.

Love to you, over the miles Gussie. Angela xx

Feeling fab
    Participant

Totally agree with you Angela x

Hi Gussie,
    I think 3 weeks is still really early days, there will be a lot of emotions going on.
    Although you are starting to feel better with being able to walk etc there is still a while to go before you will feel completely back to normal.

I think the partners react so differently it would be really hard to produce a manual for them.

For example my husband went into overdrive for the first few days with the washing, cooking, cleaning, it was actually very stressful for all of us. He nearly knocked me over as he came through with yet another basket of laundry!
    In the end I had to tell him to just come and sit for a while with a cup of tea with me – because I needed his company more than I needed a clean house.
    After that I found it easier to ask for help rather than expecting them to know what to do.

Sometimes the emotional needs get caught up with the physical needs so it is good if you can work out which is which.
    Because my husband started walking regularly on an evening with me as part of the recovery plan I was able to tell him a lot of my worries and it has actually made us closer as a couple.

I also have a closer relationship with my sons age 18 and 20. They are a lot more caring and considerate towards me and understand that my husband and I occasionally need some time alone.

Hang on in there, Gussie
    Enjoy the special time with your son and try giving yourself and your husband time to adjust.

It is hard for the partners to react in exactly the right way but if your try and gently guide him, as to what you want, you might find it benefits you both in the long term.

Best wishes xxx

Feeling fab
    Participant

Totally agree with you Angela x

Hi Gussie,
    I think 3 weeks is still really early days, there will be a lot of emotions going on for quite a while.
    Although you are starting to feel better with being able to walk etc there is still a while to go before you will feel completely back to normal.

I think the partners react so differently it would be really hard to produce a manual for them.

For example my husband went into overdrive for the first few days with the washing, cooking, cleaning, it was actually very stressful for all of us. He nearly knocked me over as he came through with yet another basket of laundry!
    In the end I had to tell him to just come and sit for a while with a cup of tea with me – because I needed his company more than I needed a clean house.
    After that I found it easier to ask for help rather than expecting them to know what to do.

Sometimes the emotional needs get caught up with the physical needs so it is good if you can work out which is which.
    Because my husband started walking regularly on an evening with me as part of the recovery plan I was able to tell him a lot of my worries and it has actually made us closer as a couple.

I also have a closer relationship with my sons age 18 and 20. They are a lot more caring and considerate towards me and understand that my husband and I occasionally need some time alone.

Hang on in there, Gussie
    Enjoy the special time with your son and try giving yourself and your husband time to adjust.

It is hard for the partners to react in exactly the right way but if your try and gently guide him, as to what you want, you might find it benefits you both in the long term.

Best wishes xxxx

weebuddy
    Participant

Hi Ladies, hope you are all well and Gussie I know how you feel sending best wishes xxx
    Im up and down at the moment although its only 2 weeks tomorrow since surgery, I have a urine infection, so im on antibiotics but my main worry now is a like a red/ watery blood when I go to the loo and quite a bit of spotting too. I have been told this is normal but I dont know whats happened to me but im a paranoid wreck that its something else. Has anyone else experienced this xx

Millie
    Participant

Hi all

Hope you are all doing ok.
    I will be one week post op tomorrow!
    Doing ok but quite a lot of pain this evening. I have taken lots of pain relief.
    My own fault I think, as may have overdone it.
    One of our little dogs has been quite poorly and was referred to veterinary hospital in Cambridge. She has a mass in her stomach and booked in for syrgery on Friday. My ex husband drove us to the hospital today. All a bit sad leaving our little dog there.
    How do I explain to my 6 year old girls what is wrong with our little dog.?
    My partner has been great, especially doing the injections for me. I just can’t do it, so he is a great help!
    Wishing everyone a speedy recovery
    x

SarahT1966
    Participant

Aw Millie, that’s awful to be dealing with as well as healing. Unfortunately life goes on but you will have to slow down and step back if you can.
    Take care and I hope you and your little doggo is ok xxx

Augusta18
    Participant

Thank you all for your words of wisdom and support.

I’m still struggling a bit emotionally but it helped going back to work 2 weeks ago to give myself something to do. I don’t have a physically demanding job and it’s very part time so it’s done me good. I rest when I get home in the afternoon and walk plenty first thing in the morning and during the day.

Son continues to be brilliant – amazingly he’s happy to talk about emotional ‘stuff’ and mostly finds the right thing to say. I feel very lucky to have him.

Husband is the same as ever – lovely but totally clueless!

Hot flushes are horrendous. I’m not sleeping at all because they are almost continuous between 2am and 6am, and every hour during the day. I’m in despair about how to cope as I’m so tired and uncomfortable. Has anyone else experienced this and found anything to alleviate them? HRT is medically not an option for me.

Millie – I hope all is well with your little dog. It’s so hard when our lovely pets get ill. They are so unconditional in their affection for us.

Gussie x

Millie
    Participant

Hi ladies

Hope you are all doing well.
    I’m now 3 weeks post op. I ended up having to have a TAH with Bilateral Salpingectomy.
    Feeling good though. Enjoying a lovely day by myself. My daughter is at her dad’s. My partner is playing golf with his friends.
    Know when I’m over doing things! Walking more.
    A keen cyclist so missing my cycling. Aiming for try cycling on flat after 7 weeks. Seeing consultant on Oct 10th, so hoping to get all clear for this.
    All going well with my little dog Millie.
    She’s coming home on Monday hopefully. We don’t know how long she will have but want to enjoy the time we have left with Millie, for as long as she’s not in pain.
    My other dog, Freddie, has not left my side while I’m off. He’s missing her as well.
    Have a great weekend X

Lilly1008
    Participant

Hi ladies hope I can join in! Currently sitting with my hospital gown on waiting to go down for surgery. I have a large fibroid measuring 14cm (24-28 week pregnancy size) opted for a full hysterectomy but hopefully I keep an ovary or two. Just hope it all goes smooth as I suffer from chronic urticaria which started as a reaction to codeine. The consultant has advise they will avoid this and keep a close eye on me! Wish me luck ladies!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today