skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums Types of Hysterectomy Sub-total Hysterectomy Cycling after hysterectomy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Millie
    Participant

Hello. I am new on here. Having my hysterectomy on August 30th. A bit nervous to be honest.
    I had a c section in 2012 and recovered pretty quickly.
    I do a lot of sport, especially cycling, which helps me relax from work etc.
    I know I have to take it easy after the hysterectomy but was wondering if anyone else is a ccyclist and had a hysterectomy.
    Thanks

Feeling fab
    Participant

Hi Millie,
    Welcome.
    Not a keen cyclist but have been swimming from 4 weeks post abdominal (bikini) with no problems, and walking a few miles every evening. The physio said yesterday that these were some of the best exercises for regaining abdominal and core strenth, which help with balance.

Just had my 6 week check yesterday and everything was fine. I didn’t ask specifically about cycling because roads are so busy here but i don’t think i would have any particular problem jumping on a bike, as I feel completely normal.

Obviously everyone heals differently and it is really important to listen to your body. But as long as you gradually build up to full fitness and rest when you need to, I am sure you will be back cycling in no time.

You might be interested in joining the monthly groups at the bottom of the page with all the ladies who are having surgery in August.

Millie
    Participant

Hi.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Making me feel a lot better.
    I do a lot of walking with the dogs. You sound like you recovered very quickly.

Feeling fab
    Participant

If you are used to walking dogs you will have a major advantage as you will already be in the routine of daily walking, which seems to help so much with recovery.
    I keep wondering if I should borrow somebody’s dog!

Millie
    Participant

Dogs are great for getting you out walking…
    After I had my c section, I tied one into each side of the push chair so they wouldn’t pull.
    This a great forum.
    Wish you all the best

Jrfowler
    Participant

Hi Millie
    I am a very keen cyclist and had my TAH and BSO bikini line incision 10 Days P.O.
    I have been walking daily since day 2 -outside gradually increasing the time. Feel great not taken anything for pain since day 5.
    My consultant said I could return to swimming as early as week 2-3. if wound was healed. But she didn’t want me to cycle till week 6. (pre op I cycled 200 miles per week) she knows me very well so that’s what I will be doing.
    Happy to keep in touch nearer the time as you will be have had your op by then and know more yourself.
    Good luck and I am happy to share with you my experience so far to alleviate any concerns you have.
    Jackie

Millie
    Participant

Hi Jackie

Thank you for your reply.
    I had my pre-op appt yesterday.
    Away cycling on the norfolk coast…last weekend before my op!
    You are doing great.
    I cycle about 100 -150 miles per week. Will do more this week with being away.
    I feel very positive from what you said. Thanks.
    Fiona

Jrfowler
    Participant

Millie- enjoy your cycling and make the most of it before your op.
    Good luck with your op. It must be fairly soon. If there is one thing I would do if I ever had more surgery that would be to mobilise as much as you can tolerate as soon as you are allowed to, it helps you no end.
    …also a daily walk in the fresh air helps to get you out of the house and away from the daytime TV !

Jackie

Millie
    Participant

I’m nearly a week post op.
    Doing ok but a bit sore.
    Probably over did it last 2 days. One of my little dogs has query cancer of the stomach and admitted to vetinerary hospital in Cambridge.
    She has surgery on Friday, so we are keeping positive.
    Lots of pain this evening as long time in car today.
    Was doing great up to today.
    Can’t sleep- mixture of pain and soreness and worried about my little dog.
    My little 6 year old daughter has been great, helping me.
    My bike is hung up for a while!
    Goodnight

Jrfowler
    Participant

Hi Millie
    Sorry to hear about your dog, hope she was ok after her surgery.
    An update on cycling- I am 6 weeks TAH and was cleared by GP to cycle as minimal abs used, (she is a good cyclist herself so knows what’s involved) so tried it today and managed fine 20 miles and not too unfit for 6 weeks no cycling.
    Hope this may inspire you in the next few weeks till you are cleared as fit to cycle.
    She also said ok to work as I am an agency nurse and don’t get sick pay.
    Have been driving since week 3. She said can swim when I like too. So happy when she cleared me.
    Onwards and upwards.
    Hope you are in less pain now.

Jackie

Millie
    Participant

Hi Jackie

You are doing great and back cycling.
    I’m 3 weeks post op.
    Ended up having to have a TAH with Bilateral Salpingectomy.
    Not cleared to drive as yet.
    Waking quite a bit. Looking forward to getting back on my bike though. My consultant is not a cyclist and thinks I’m slights mad to be asking about getting back on my bike! I’m seeking her on Oct 10th, so hoping to start back cycling after that.
    Good luck to you for your next ride out.
    Thanks
    Fiona (Millie)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today