skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs December December 2018

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 73 total)
  • Author

JoBBJ
    Participant

I couldn’t find any other threads for this December, and wondered if anyone else had surgery booked for then?

I have a date of December 5th for a total hysterectomy due to a large fibroid, planned as vaginal/laparoscopic if they are able. Still debating the ovaries going or staying (my view Being leave them be they are fine, surgeon’s view being summarised as what use are they to you at your age)

I’ll be browsing the other months to get some ideas on how recovery might go, though I do appreciate everyone is very different, but would love to chat to people on a similar timeline to me.

Jo 🙂

juleskirk50

Good evening jo and welcome,

I don’t think we have anyone else with a December date as yet but I am sure others will be along soon – It’s a good idea to browse the previous months as it will give you some idea of what everyone is going through but we are all different and everyone’s recovery will be different too. Many of the ladies are having their surgery due to fibroids and I am sure they will be along to chat with you soon xx

Jo – 5th December

Heatherd
    Participant

I have just been scheduled for a robot- assisted hysterectomy with bilateral salpingectomy on December 6th. I have been searching the internet trying to understand what I’m going to go through and what to expect, which led me here.
    Last year I was diagnosed with aednomysis after ending up in the hospital after passing 6 and 7 inch clots. It only took my doctor 6 months to realize that treatments weren’t working and agreed that the best option was to have a hysterectomy. I’m excited as well as nervous, I’ve been suffering horrible pain and heavy periods since I started at age 9, last time I approached a doctor about a hysterectomy they said I was too young to get one, when I asked my doctor he said age should not be a factor on whether the procedure will be beneficial or not.
    I’m hoping you lovely ladies will have tips and tricks on how this is going to go
    Heather

felicity
    Participant

hello ladies – 2nd week in Dec for me too. Abdominal Hysterectomy + Ovaries. Seems such a long time away but it will come around so soon. Recovery post op is what I dread the most too. We can send each other virtual hugs xx

JoBBJ
    Participant

Thank you for the welcome Jules.

Hi Heather and Felicity 🙂

Well December felt like it was ages away but I finish work in 2 weeks to give myself a couple of days for getting organised, and suddenly it’s almost here!

I’m a combination of impatient and a bit nervous right now.

I had my pre-op checks last week and that brought it all home to me. Some of the info re recovery and what we can and (mostly) can’t do was a bit daunting. Of course I’ve been doing loads of reading, here and other places, but it was still a bit of a shock to realise I can’t so much as make myself a cup of coffee or a snack the first week. Not to mention the expectation that someone will be with me 24/7 for the first week.

I’m an introvert, and thought of no alone time for a week fills me with dread, but I’m banking on sleeping a lot to get through that part! I live with my 17 year old daughter, and she will be at college during the day, so my parents will be popping in during the day. Also have one of my oldest Friends arranged to work locally that week, so she can be here but I know she won’t fuss so that helps.

The actual pre-op checks took about 90 minutes. Height, weight, listened to my heart and lungs, blood pressure, MRSA swabs, blood and urine tests. Then a really extensive history taken by a lovely nurse, who also talked me through recovery. My hospital practises an enhanced recovery programme that involves getting you up and moving as fast as possible, and I’ve been given some nutritional drinks to take the night before and morning of the surgery.

I’ve also been to see my GP to talk through my decision to try and keep my ovaries, and she was very supportive, as my surgeon was a bit dismissive of this choice when I discussed it with him.

How is everyone else doing?

JoBBJ
    Participant

One thing I forgot to mention …… I was offered a spinal block in addition to the general. Anyone else been offered this? The idea of one makes me a bit nervous, but I’m all for anything that stops the pain!

Reading the November thread noticed a couple of people had one and were pleased they did, so I’m thinking this might be the way to go.

juleskirk50

Good evening ladies and welcome heather and felicity,

Felicity could you confirm your surgery date for our list . Xx

Jo – I had a spinal block and I can confirm it’s fab 😉 the first day I had no pain whatsoever so was very pleased ( even though I didn’t know I was getting it !😮) but can highly recommend xx

Have a good evening ladies x

Jo – 5th December
    Heather – 6th December
    Felicity – ?

bellapabella
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    My name is Bron. My surgery is scheduled for 17/12. I’m nervous about recovery but hope that after it all I will feel so much better.
    I have scarring due to 3 x c/sections-currently have Mirena which has caused more problems than before.
    Looking forward to being able to check in with others in a similar situation. So glad I stumbled across this site amongst my research.
    Xx

juleskirk50

Good evening Bella and welcome,

You will find plenty support and advice here so if you have any questions just ask – you should also ( if you haven’t already ) have a read around the current month where the ladies are either waiting for surgery or recovering and this will give you some idea of what to expect. Xx

Jo – 5th December
    Heather – 6th December
    Felicity – 10th December
    Bellapabella – 17th December

felicity
    Participant

Hello Jo, Heather, Bellapabella and Jules,

Firstly thanks so much Jules for all the work from the moderators. Have been reading past forums and its so useful. Really can’t underestimate the value of a support network, virtual or otherwise x

My date is 10th December. 3 weeks today!! Eek. Like you Jo I’ve had pre-op assessment. I’m an NHS referral but chose consultant at local private hospital 5 mins from home. I was surprised how much the assessment affected me – nothing taxing, as you say a few tests and run through history with a nurse. She was so lovely and explained so much. It made it all real though and really hit home and came home very tearful. Don’t have children for other reasons, never expected to have any but now it’s like hello, you definitely won’t be having any. I’ve since recycled many of the leaflets on DVT, transfusions, anaesthetic but kept the one on how to get out of bed. Must practice.

Until I finally saw consultant in October I thought I was just being a woose each month and couldn’t explain constant tiredness and lack of oomph , and had to insist GP referred me when I realised by talking to friends that things were NOT normal and could not cope with these fibroids any longer (Felicity is the name of my largest one and is referred to as *** Felicity). It wasnt just ‘my age’ (47). When consultant immediately said Hysterectomy, equivelant of 16 week pregnant womb, suggest TAH and BSO I almost fell off seat.

So here we all go – less than a month for all of us. I’m calling it eviction night. Felicity and friends MUST go. I love lists as quite analytic. Like sport so need a ‘plan’. Now asking questions I never thought would come to mind:

* How big are BIG knickers? Will those ones cover my wound? I have a special drawer with items for after the event.
    * What on earth happens with all the spare belly space
    * Will surgical menopause turn me insane overnight until HRT kicks in? (Suggest other half moves all sharp objects out of reach, note to self buy a fan ans sage tea)
    * Who is going to put out the bins in the first few weeks??? (partner works night shifts, bin must go out first thing or foxes go mental. NB: We don’t have an answer to this one yet!! Will advise when we have a plan. )

Dont know if will have spinal thing as that wasnt mentioned. Know they do use the mechanical leg things to keep circulation going. Had gallbladder out years ago keyhole and even after that BM were an issue due to the anaesthetic. Prunes already in the cupboard and Lactulose on hand.

3 weeks to go at work but using Xmas holidays (as will be signed off so wont need them – every cloud has a silver lining..) to take off Fridays for next few weeks to do stuff. Stuff = shopping for clothes other than PJs that will fit belly, buying BIG Knickers (how big??), cleaning house (suddenly things I’ve left for years MUST be done,), Going cycling, walking, swimming in the lakes – my god I’ll miss such things during recovery.

Speak soon ladies, good night

F.

JoBBJ
    Participant

Hi ladies, how are we all doing as the month marches ever closer?

I watched a video of a hysterectomy being done last week, and while I realise it won’t be for everyone I found it very helpful. For me it helped to see exactly what is being done internally, and why lots of rest is needed. It also helped me with the feelings of guilt I had at the thought of being “selfish” and resting totally after surgery.

My boss, while a kind woman, is a bit dismissive and has been subtly comparing this op for me with her C Section 18 years ago when she was in her 20s. I’ve had comments like “oh I didn’t wait to drive, you just have to get on with it” and similar, which made me cross. SO happy your section didn’t hamper you much *eyeroll* but I think I’ll take the advice of the medical professionals, ensure I don’t run foul of my car Insurance company’s rules and make sure I listen to body during recovery if it’s all the same to you!

On the plus side my colleagues have largely been supportive, and I have some amazing friends who have all offered help. I’m also lucky enough to have my parents local and a pretty fab teenage daughter, so I’m sure we’ll muddle though.

A friend from work had a TAH last week, and her updates have definitely cemented my decision to go for the spinal block, as she said she was pretty uncomfortable afterwards. But she was home after 2 nights and seems to be doing really well so far so that has given me some confidence. Another friend of a friend was home 22 hours after hers, but that just sounds terrifying, I plan to stay closer to the good drugs for a little longer than that!

I’m stressing a little bit as I’m doing an Open university degree, and worrying whether I will be able to study while I recover, so my plan for this week is to get myself ahead if I can so I build in some breathing room and don’t have to worry if I don’t feel up to studying for a week or two.

Sorry, this was a bit of a word vomit, I seem to be treating this place as a journal! Hopefully we’ll all get a bit more chatty as our dates get closer and we can virtually hold hands and pass round the wine or gin.

Hope you’re all doing well and that Felicity has solved both the bin problem and the knicker issue!

PS how big is big? 🤣

Emwal
    Participant

Hi, I’m 47 and due to have a LAVH BSO on Dec 6 due to debilitating adenomyosis. I swing between sheer elation at never having to experience another excrutiating, hemorrhagic monthly event to overwhelming anxiety about whether I’m going to wake up feeling a completely different person following surgical menopause. From what I’ve read this seems to be fairly normal.

I’m pretty active (love a good yomp in the country) and run my own business, so taking it easy is going to be tricky for me. I’m lucky to have a very supportive husband and I’ve promised to be compliant 🙂

It’s great to meet other women who are going through the same process – lovely and supportive as my friends and family are, I feel like I’m in danger of becoming a hysterectomy bore – although this is totally unfounded of course!

Pre-op assessment is tomorrow which I believe is blood tests, blood pressure, medical history etc.

Anyone else feel like they’re on an emotional rollercoaster? And that’s before my hormones go off a cliff edge. I’m keeping everything crossed that the thought of the op is the worse part!!

Will keep you posted….

felicity
    Participant

Hi Jo/All,

Good news we have solved “bin-gate”. OH is going to look after them when he gets home from nightshift. Have also decided that will only know how big pants need to be once it’s all happened :o)

I know what you mean about some folk coming across as dismissive. It’s quite odd. ‘and what are your plans for christmas day…’ erm, well I’ll still be recovering then and will probably feel rotten. Also have lots and lots of offers for help though. We dont have a walk in shower and bath is really high to step in to. Friend has offered to come and get me so can go to theirs for safe shower.xxx Have also bought steps for getting into said high bath so can shower. Might never get out of bath again though!

Feel rotten today. PMT for last ever period. It’s made me unusually tearful – came home from work and burst into tears when saw OH. Went out for walk and felt better. It’s weird knowing that this is it, last one ever. Not that I’ll miss them though as have been a nightmare last few years.

Couldnt watch hysterectomy but did watch another program where chap had open surgery. That was close enough although different organs. Good program on tonight on BBC2 I think 9pm – all about Menopause. Going to watch that.

Less than 2 weeks to go…yikes! Must check to do list to see whats next. Christmas shopping all done, cake and pudding made, supply of biggish pants in the drawer.

F.

felicity
    Participant

Greetings Emwal,

Welcome to December xx

Totally agree re emotional rollercoaster. Like you I’m an outdoor person and I’m dreading the impact of being limited during recovery. I don’t do indoors. When I get stressed I like to go out on the fresh air.

My op is on the 10th and still planning yomps and cycling right up to then. Will then need to hide my kit so it doesnt frustrate me.

xxx

juleskirk50

Good evening ladies and welcome emwal – you will find plenty support and advice here and as everyone says the waiting is the worst part of it all – we all need to be patient during recovery though as you only get one chance to recover so it’s worth taking the time to do so even though it’s frustrating doing nothing 😎 it’s worth it to achieve a good a strong recovery xx

Jo – 5th December
    Heather – 6th December
    Emwal- 6th December
    Felicity – 10th December

Emwal
    Participant

Thanks Julesirk50 and Hi Felicity, glad bin gate is sorted 🙂
    I’m getting out for as many hikes as I can too. They are keeping me sane. I’m going to miss it so much. It won’t be long though. What have you got planned during your extended period of R&R?

Thanks for mentioning big pants – still need to buy those along with some comfortable lounge wear and laxatives – the joys!

Anyone got any box sets lined up to watch? I’m assuming much of the first week will be spent feeling away with the fairies on class A drugs, or is that wishful thinking?

xx

Dory

Hi, I’m in a bit of a pickle if I should post in this month as I haven’t had a date yet although the consultant said (my appointment was last week) he should be able to fit me in before Christmas. I feel as if I need to get ready/organised with it being Christmas and I have so many questions that you lovely ladies maybe able to help with.

Ive started thinking what I need and I’m becoming a little stressed out over the bra situation 🤦‍♀️it maybe last of my worries but how long do you have to keep your bra off before and after the surgery? I have massive k cups and I’m so uncomfortable without one on I’ve got visions of having to walk down corridors without one on.
    If I should leave posting till I get my date I understand.

felicity
    Participant

Evening ladies,

For r&r I’ve bought colouring books and pencils. if lose patience could go all modern art and just scribble 😁 Might read some actual books but nothing too taxing in First week as brain will be scrambled. Magazines with pretty pictures I think will be the order of the day. Also have tablet so can watch on demand etc if stuck upstairs as we don’t have tv up there.

Hello Dory. No idea about bra thingy pre op but being a size H myself I understand the problem. On that note I have bought a couple of non wired ones for recovery. Don’t want wires digging in if I’m bloated. Bravissimo have them in stock. No use for Star jumps but we won’t be doing those…I

F.

juleskirk50

Hello dory and welcome – of course you can post here you are welcome anywhere on the forums – you should also have a look at the November ladies group as they are almost all done and sitting on the recovery couch and would be glad to share their recovery tips with you. Re the bra thing I got a nice soft non wired bra from m and s it’s not the most supportive bra but it’s ok for short term and may fit the bill for you before you go into surgery xx

Let us know when you have a date xx

Jo – 5th December
    Heather – 6th December
    Emwal- 6th December
    Felicity – 10th December
    Dory – date TBC

ethmet
    Participant

Hi,
    I am 7.5 weeks post op, having been done on 8th October. I am here for any questions you might want to ask. I will see if I can answer them.

The only things i can see on here at the moment are –
    Yes, go for the spinal block without question.
    There is no spare belly space, it mushes together again.
    Does surgical menopause make you crazy – yes, but for me the 3 hours sleep a night and constant hot sweats are worse. I can’t have HRT – but there are alternatives, ask your GP. Don’t try to do menopause on your own.

Good luck to all of you. You will be healthy in time. Help each other.

Love Angela

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today