skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums General Hysterectomy Returning to Work after Hysterectomy Despairing at 8 weeks post op

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Clairey
    Participant

Dear all, I am a 58 year old lecturer, had a vaginal hysterectomy 8 weeks ago and was recovering quite well, slowly but surely increasing activity. At 6 weeks felt I was about 80% better (though lots of pressure that you should be fine by then from various leaflets). I overdid it (helping with son’s dissertation and job applications) and tried to act like I was fully better. I was SO wrong. Basically I have been floored since, almost unable to to anything and feeling very low. Has anyone else had these peaks and troughs? I am due to go back to work at 12 weeks to an incredibly demanding job and am worried 8 won’t be fit 🙁.

Feeling fab
    Participant

Think it is normal to dip a bit occassionally.
    I got very tired and lethargic at 5 weeks and had to start taking iron again, which definitely helped.
    Might be an idea to see the GP to reassure you everything is ok

I always go back to basics when my energy seems to go, so I drink lots of water which seems to reduce swelling everywhere, fingers ankles, stomach. I go for walks out in the fresh air, eat some healthy fruit and salads, try to rest lying down, and do some pelvic floor/ abdominal exercises.
    I also try reducing caffeine as I find this can make me feel more tired and headachy.

4 weeks is still quite a long time before you are due back at work, so you could feel much better by then.
    You can only take the recovery one day at a time, and everyone is so different! The demanding job will have to wait if you are not ready x
    (I know – easier said than done! )

Clairey
    Participant

Thanks for your reassurance Feeling Fab. Feeling a tiny bit more energy but getting fed up with slow progress and can’t believe I set myself back so much. Seeing GP today so I hope he will be reassuring. It is helpful to see on this forum that ppl vary so much in their recovery time and I was also pretty exhausted when I had the op.

Valybobs
    Participant

Hallo @clairey
    I had a LAVH in April and like you have had highs and lows. The lows were – being wiped out for 2 days after doing something ‘normal’ like a longer walk and then staying up later, or going back to work!!! I went back to work at 9 weeks post-op and had a phased return over 6 weeks and after the first couple of part days had to sleep for about 12 hours. I think being totally shattered after this kind of operation is completely normal. I am now at 5 months post-recovery. And have just got back to running which I can now do without being completey shattered. I think you just have to give it time.
    All the best
    Valerie

Clairey
    Participant

Thanks for sharing Valerie. I’m so glad I started reading this forum (was worried to before in case I was a ‘failure’). The doctor has signed me off for another six weeks which is a great relief as it’s been stressful getting sick notes. He said there’s absolutely no average for this kind of recovery. It will take as long as it takes and it’s not a competition. I also think I do too much without realising as I’m not great at doing nothing. I met a friend for coffee this morning and have been pottering around house and am now shattered again. I read Paula’s tale in the ‘phased return to teaching’ forum and that made me determined to manage my return to work very carefully. Your comments on work and exercise support my belief that it will take me many more months to build up to full power again. I used to do a very strenuous form of yoga which I won’t be able to do for some time. However, I’ve seen on Youtube there are videos for post-hysterectomy yoga so I’ll be investigating that very soon!
    Thanks again for all the support.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today