skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs April Extreme swelling

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Mollyh128
    Participant

Hi Ladies,

My first time in a forum so forgive me if I’m doing this all wrong.
    My hysterectomy was on 04th April 2019 and other than collapsing and having a transfusion during the first two days things have gone relatively well. After thinking i was having it done Vaginally, things weren’t going well so it was decided whilst I was under to do a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy. My problem 9 week’s post op is my tummy is always swollen and very sore. Other than first thing in the morning I constantly look about 5/6months pregnant. I had no idea this was a part of recovery and I’m really worried that something is not right. My tummy pre-op was quite flat and I thought I would be showing some signs of the swelling going down 9 week’s in. Please can anyone help?

Fibecca
    Participant

Hi Molly
    It is still very early days, so don’t worry too much
    My op was 14/2, abs I’m still swollen and tender
    My consultant is sending me for scans just in case, but doesn’t expect to find anything .
    He just thinks it needs more time to settle
    Hoping you feel better soon – just build up the walking – it really does help x

LouiseD1
    Participant

Hi Molly, I would agree with Fibecca, its probably just ‘normal’ recovery. The fact that your tummy is recovering every night is a good sign that it is just the effort of each day that causes the swelling. I am over 6 months post op (abdominal) and it is only in the last few weeks that I have stopped getting swelling/ dragging sensations at the end of every day. So I want to give you hope that it will eventually go away, even if not as quickly as you’d like !x

Mollyh128
    Participant

Thankyou Fibecca and LouiseD1. It’s really good to be able to get the views of others. I have no way of knowing if im doing right or wrong. I walk about 2 miles at the moment but walking seems to make the swelling worse. So do i carry on with building up my walking or slow down a little. I wasn’t aware swelling would last this long. Really confused with it xx

pippa
    Participant

Hi mollyh128
    I had my op on 18/4/19 so I coming up to 8 weeks i too have a sore tummy towards the end of the day along with sort of pinging sensations? But in the morning I feel okay! I am increasing my day activity slowly im terrified of undoing what iv done so far i have monitored my activity including around the house and steady walk with the dogs to 1-2 miles a day! But i have to rest between jobs 🙈 this site is a huge support when there seems so little information from the hospital i had to ask about pelvic floor exercise and exercise to help build up the muscles in the stomach wall??

Mollyh128
    Participant

Hi Pippa,
    Its so good to talk to people that can share their experiences and advice. It is a worry that there didnt seem anywhere to go for advice before i found the ladies on here. I wonder does your tummy swell as soon as you’ve done anything physical…i thought it would have progressed a little by now, but if this is the “norm” for some of us then that us reassuring.

Ang10
    Participant

Hello
    I too have similar symptoms to you.
    I am nearly 8 wees PO and for the last few days my stomach is very swollen and sore,more than at the start!!!
    I have my check up with the consultant so will let you know what they say .

pippa
    Participant

Mollyh128
    Ang10
    Hi my tummy does swell if I do anything extra to my normal routine i am okay in the mornings but as the day goes on it gets more uncomfortable tight feeling sore and sometimes a pinging sensation but i saw my consultant last Friday and all is completely normal and i am where he would expect me to be a 7 weeks post op which is reassuring! One thing he did say did I realise that a hysterectomy is a major operation and the time for recovery is there for a reason not just a figure plucked from the air i am off work for 3 months with a phased back over 4 weeks which i plan to do i also watched on u tube the operation which i had i had everything taken away this is not for everyone but it does make you understand why you have pain where we do! But on the plus side i am feeling better each day and starting to get back to normality but im in no rush i m not going back, when i have over done things and we all will and have done i just do absolutely nothing the next day and that seems to give my body the rest it needs! Sorry bit of a novel here thanks you all for the support love to you all x

Mollyh128
    Participant

Thank you Ang10 that would be really helpful.

Mollyh128
    Participant

Well thats reassuring Pippa. I’m going to sit and watch on Youtube. Think it will also give me a better understanding of the whole process. So pleased i came on here. You ladies are so helpful and can’t tell you how it feels to be able to ask questions to people that are actually going through the same.

Ang10
    Participant

I’m now going to watch the you tube video too!!!

pippa
    Participant

Ang10
    Hi the video made me think about how and where by body is tender? Its not for everyone though??? I think today i over done things trying to be human again so coffee and a rest for couple hours 🙈 on a plus note i have invested in a new swimming costume the consultant said wait till 12 weeks p/o and see how i get on?? 4 weeks to pluck up the courage🤪
    I cant thank everyone enough for the support this site gives xx

Ang10
    Participant

Yes it wasn’t for the faint hearted!!!
    I keep overdoing it, and have just got a puppy and doing lots of bending and picking him up etc!
    Totally fed up with my huge tummy…I really thought once my bulky womb went it would be flatter but early days in the whole scene of things!! I have a list of things to ask the consultant on Thursday!! Need some reassurance!
    Fab news about swimming soon!!!
    This site has saved me so many times!!!
    Xxx

pippa
    Participant

So after a week of feeling a massive improvement I decided to try vacuuming very carefully and slowly walked the dog around the paddock and went for a ride out with my husband and boy am I suffering now I’m swollen again and feel quite sore with the occasional pinging sensation it makes me realise just how fragile we still are at the moment back to resting again ? Please lets be kind to ourselves now I feel 2 steps forward and 1step back again xx

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today