skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs February February 2019

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 116 total)
  • Author

Carole
    Participant

Hi, are there any February ladies out there yet? My hysterectomy (total with bi-whatsits – they’re taking everything basically) is on 8th February, and my pre-assessment is on 31st Jan. I’m 46 and have a large fibroid, I look about 5 months pregnant! It means I’ll have to have a vertical incision. I’ve been reading the forums and have a big list of questions to ask at the hospital already. It’s been very helpful reading the January forum and it would be great to hear from others who have theirs in February x

hysterlady
    Participant

Hi Carole,
    I’m 45 and am having a hysterectomy on Monday 4th February (next week – eeek!). I had my pre op assessment today. I also have a large-ish fibroid attached on the outside of the womb and several in the wall of the womb. It will be an abdominal hysterectomy. The doctor plans to leave my ovaries in place, unless the one is adhered to the fibroid. I might have a subtotal one depending on whether my bladder is attached to the womb due to adhesions from previous surgeries.

Make sure you do ask your questions… I asked mine today, even if I thought they were stupid! I am just now hoping it won’t get cancelled or anything as I think it takes a lot of mental preparation to get ready for this huge operation! Hope you’re keeping well and I look forward to tracking your recovery 🙂

juleskirk50

Hello February ladies here is your list 🙂 it’s not very big but I am sure more will join you soon xx

Hysterlady – 4th February
    Carole – 8th February

Yem

Hi ladies, I am new on this forum, I am on the waiting list TAH BSO for multiple for multiple fibriods and a host of other stuff. I had my pre-op early this month but no op date yet. Does anyone know how long the waiting might be from pre op?

Thanks

hysterlady
    Participant

HI Yem,

I was actually given my op date first, before they arranged my pre-op. My hospital tends to do pre-ops around 2 weeks before surgery. Because they only gave me two weeks’ notice for the hysterectomy my pre-op was actually just a week before.

I am a great believer in calling and chasing things up, so you could maybe call the clinic or your consultant’s secretary and ask?

vhemingway
    Participant

Hi Yem. I think that very much depends on which NHS Trust you’re in. I think it’s supposed to be within 20 weeks fron gp referral to surgery, but I had my pre-op last July and had my op last week. I think if you search on the web for the hospital where you’ll be having your op, and the procedure you should be able to find the waiting times. Or you could try contacting the patient liaison team (pals) at the hospital for info.

Yem

Thanks ladies for your prompt response, I was referred by my gp Dec 2017 and it’s been one cancellation or the other. My consultant has a long waiting list. I have daily rang the secretary, who says my pre op is valid till May. I am in so much pain and have being signed off work.

Don’t know what else to do.

Yem

I did contact Pals, they said they really to not deal with surgery dates.

hysterlady
    Participant

Oh my… Dec 2017?! I am so sorry you’ve had to wait so long and are suffering 🙁

I had been an A&E admission early December 2018 and saw the consultant 2 weeks later, just before Christmas. I was given a date for March and then last week they called and had brought my date forward to 4th Feb. I realise I have been very fortunate to get such quick treatment.

I assume you have been put on a cancellation list? Where they could call you last minute if they have a cancellation?

Yem

I have been on the cancellation list since November, 2018. I am trying to be hopeful and positive. Coming on this site has been really helpful.

Carole
    Participant

Wow, I also feel very lucky. I actually got a phone call today to say that my op has been brought forward to this Sunday. I thought I had another week so now I’m panicking thinking of everything I need to do, especially at work! The poor woman I work with is very supportive but I won’t be leaving everything quite as tidily as I’d hoped! It’s really thrown me to be honest and my mind is racing. Pre-op assessment was booked for tomorrow morning anyway. Yem, I do hope you get some good news soon, all we can do is offer some supportive words but at least we can give you someone to talk to. x

hysterlady
    Participant

Wow Carole! That is good (I think!). Less time to wait but yes, puts you under a time crunch! Don’t worry about work stuff… what doesn’t get tidied or filed away doesn’t get done and that’s ok!

Hope your pre op went well this morning? Not long now. Do you have everything you need for Sunday? x

Yem

So glad for you Carole, I trust that it will all go well for you. Just got some good feedback from the secretary today. They are looking to have mine done in February. Really glad, at least we are getting somewhere.

Thanks ladies.

hysterlady
    Participant

Good to hear this Yem! You have waited far too long already… So pleased they gave you an actual month!

Yem

Thanks hysterlady,
    You only need to know how excited I was. She said I will be getting the letter soon.

Carole
    Participant

So happy for you Yem! Hope you get your actual date soon. It’s all happening so quickly for me now, had the pre-op yesterday which went really well and I asked all my questions even though I felt a bit silly. Now I have the joy of washing in anti-septic and putting more up my nose! Apparently that’s to stop me bringing infection onto the ward. It was my last day at work today which was so weird but everyone was really nice. Packing tomorrow then shopping, I nearly have everything but not quite! Luckily I remembered yesterday to get a Valentine’s card for the OH, I hadn’t thought about that at all! So I think I’m about there. Can’t believe it’s actually about to happen.

hysterlady
    Participant

Oooh Valentine’s card… I need to get one too! Thanks for the reminder 🙂

Glad you almost have everything ready for tomorrow. I’m spending my weekend with final washing and catching up on ironing and getting my bedroom cleaned top to bottom!

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. x

Carole
    Participant

Thanks hysterlady, good luck for Monday, hope it all goes really well for you too x

juleskirk50

Carole good luck for tomorrow I hope you are managing to get organised given that they have brought forward your date and that all goes well for you xx

Hysterlady – 4th February
    Carole – 8th February – now 3rd February

Fibecca
    Participant

Hi
    My op date is 14/2 ( way to ruin my daughters 14th birthday )

It’s all a bit of a shock to me
    I started with severe abdominal pain on 9 Jan to be told a week later that I had a large tumour on my left ovary
    So on cancer pathway where they operate within 2 weeks although they are reasonably confident that it is benign
    Because it’s all happening so quickly I don’t feel like I’ve had time to ask my consultant anything

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 116 total)
  • The topic ‘February 2019’ is closed to new replies.

Register to Become a Member Today