skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs February February 2019

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • Author

Jomac10
    Participant

I think like this if it goes off after resting it’s apart of the healing process. I was doing my exerciser the other day and my scar opened up in the middle just a tiny bit.🙄

That sensitive sensation takes sometimes years to disappear especially were you’ve been cut. I think I said in a earlier post my youngest is 14 and parts of my c-section scars still felt numb/ sensitive.

I’m considering going to Dr tomorrow I’m still getting a funny feeling when I end a wee it’s not burning or hurts it’s just right at the end then it’s gone but nobody has mentioned it. Then I read yesterday if you have a altered sensation tell your Dr straight away. 😞

Pudsey62
    Participant

Hope everything is OK Jomac10, but best to get it checked out even if only to put your mind at rest.

Jomac10
    Participant

Pudsey62- didn’t go to the Drs in the end wasn’t as bad on the Monday did a bit of research about nerve damage and retraining the bladder seems to have worked.

Hysterlady- are you still getting hot flushes? I’ve just been reading were your ovaries can permantly fail after a hysterectomy ? I’m wondering if this has happened to me? Any one else know anything about it ?

Fibecca
    Participant

I thought I was nearing the end of menopause as my symptoms had reduced , but since my op they have become worse than ever
    Hot flushes throughout the day and hot and cold night sweats all night
    The lady in the bed opposite me was only 36 and had started with flushes within 2 days
    From what I’ve read ,the ovaries rely on part of their blood supply from the uturus, so when that’s removed they are less efficient whilst still working but can fail within 5 years
    I was told I couldn’t go back on HRT until after I’d finished the blood thinner injections , but you may be able to start now if you’re not on them
    Definitely worth discussing with GP
    All the best x

LouiseD1
    Participant

Hi Jomac10, I saw your question about hot flushes etc. I had an SAH in November, one ovary left behind (other had been removed 2 years ago). I was told remaining ovary might continue working but could well fail after the op. Within a week of op, I developed numerous hot flushes day and night, as well as disturbed sleep every night due to being woken up in the night with them. Tried to stick it out but gave up at 12 weeks and went to GP about HRT. Been on it for 3 weeks and it has transformed my life – hot flushes all gone and back to 6 or 7 hours sleep straight. Definitely explore the options if you’re struggling……

Jomac10
    Participant

I was convinced before i had my op for years really that i was peri, maybe they were failing before! Who knows. I see my consultant on the 25th March, I will ask him.

When I got back to my room after the op i had aircon in my room I asked my husband to put it on! I was so hot I put that down to the GA and morphine but it’s carried on. Bless him he sat there for 2 hours and then said to me can I turn it off now I’m blue 😂

Yes it wakes me up several times a night too. Definitely going to get it sorted thank you ladies 😊

Pudsey62
    Participant

I wake up feeling too hot a couple of times a night and that’s been for the last 2 or 3 years since I started the menopause. I don’t get sweats and flapping the duvet about is usually enough to let me go back to sleep fairly quickly. I haven’t tried HRT but that’s because I’m usually fine during the day. Don’t think I could cope if I had that as well.
    The night of my op, the nurses had the windows open because I was so warm, no aircon for me!

Jan0001
    Participant

Hi February ladies, I hope your all making a good recovery and feeling much better. I hope you don’t mind me asking quite an intimate question ☺️

I had a TAH/BSO on 1st March so 15 days post op now. For about the last week I have had a discharge that is light but constant. Initially I thought it might be a urine leak but do feel in control of my bladder. I have to wear sanitary pads all the time (thought I had seen the last of those 😫). You can hardly see anything on the pad due to the light colour but underneath it shows through as a brown colour – I assume it’s something in the pad. Has anyone had something similar? If so how long did it last?

I have pottered around more in this second week and have averaged around 2500 steps a day – could this be a sign I am doing too much ?

I don’t think it’s bad enough to ring my GP but wanted some peace of mind that this was ‘normal ‘ – I think I have read somewhere that you can get a discharge as internal stitches start to dissolve- although I haven’t seen anything that looks like stitches either

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jan

Jomac10
    Participant

Hi Jan0001,

I believe the discharge is very normal can last up to 6 weeks. Was your cervix removed too? Your right it’s the wound at the top of your virgina that’s healing I had it till about the 3rd week and every now and then when I go to the loo I wipe and there is a tiny bit. I’m 5 weeks post on Tuesday. I think the only time to worry if it’s bright red and clots.

I felt a lot better in my second week but take your time it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon. This last week I’ve done a lot more cooked, baked with help for lifting ect so go steady. 😊

Pudsey62
    Participant

Hi Jan0001,
    I’m five and a half weeks post op now. I had laparoscopic / vaginal surgery and I’ve had a light pinky/brown discharge since the op. It has gradually lessened and is almost away. It was mentioned in my info leaflet and was one of the indicators to avoid swimming.
    I haven’t bought sanitary towels for 3 years, so it’s definitively a change for me and I can’t wait to get rid of them again 😂. Pantyliners were not quite enough to cope. My external stitches have dissolved, but I haven’t seen any bits of internal stitches.

At week 2, I averaged 4000 steps ( but no abdominal scar, so that helped) and if you feel OK otherwise I wouldn’t worry. I found that if I did too much, I knew the next day so you can probably tell. I’ve overdone it a bit on a few occasions but the difficulty is that if you stop while you feel absolutely fine, you don’t know what you can do. It’s a bit like continuing / stopping painkillers. The sorest I’ve been recently was when we went out for a day in the car. We drove around and stopped in a few places for a stroll, and I think it was actually the sitting that did it.

Hope that helps.

Jan0001
    Participant

Thank you so much for your responses Jomac and Pusey it has put my mind at rest.

Yes Jomac I did have the cervix removed. There was nothing for about 4 or 5 days and then it started.

I know what you mean Pudsey about how much to do. Whilst I don’t want to overdo it, I equally don’t want to not try. Yesterday I had my first trip into town for some light shopping but because I felt ok probably walked more than I should, because in the afternoon I was very tired and today I have a feeling similar to a stitch pain in my left side and cannot walk as upright or as quickly as I could.

I will certainly be a bit more careful, and as you say Jomac it is a marathon recovery and I need to pace myself better.

Thanks once again for your advice. Jan xx

Pudsey62
    Participant

Jan, I’ve had that stitch pain on and off for a couple of weeks and it doesn’t always seem to be related to how much I have done 🤨. What I noticed in the first few weeks was that I could either walk a longer distance slowly, or a short distance more quickly. I’ve gradually worked up to a reasonable distance at almost normal speed, and my husband commented yesterday that I wasn’t leaning over at all ( I hadn’t noticed the change).
    And on the plus side, I’ve discovered a few new local shops, haunted the charity shops and got quite a bit of reading and crafting done! One week left before returning to work.

Carole
    Participant

Hi Jan0001, I too have had a discharge similar to yours, it started about 5 days after the op and went on for about 3 weeks. I was still in hospital when it started and was told it was completely normal, but that if it got very red or smelly then I should get it checked.

I’m now 5 weeks post op, I had a TAH/BSO so I have been waiting for the menopause to kick in. About a week ago I suddenly found myself in floods of tears over something completely trivial. Is that normal? And for the last few nights I’ve been waking up in a sweat – last night I had to change my nightshirt in the middle of the night! Does anyone know, if you have a surgical menopause like this (which has been described to me as “going over a cliff”, how long will it last?

I suspect it’s time to go and have a talk with my GP about HRT?

Jan0001
    Participant

Hi Carole – I was suffering with menopausal symptoms pre op – mainly night sweats (I smell like a navi in the mornings – not nice), broken/poor sleep, brain fog, anxiety etc, and yes I could cry over trivial things. I did start taking HRT which eased the symptoms but after about 3 weeks it made the bleeding worse so stopped taking it after a few months when it became obvious it wasn’t going to stop. Post op I have all the same symptoms and so went to the GP last week to ask about restarting the HRT – the doctor said she did not want me to start it for at least 6 weeks post op to get beyond the DVT risk that follows surgery. I was really surprised by this as I thought that any woman under 50 who has her ovaries removed started HRT straight away – whilst I am over 50 not sure why I have to wait – but that is what I have had to agree to.

The length of time the symptoms of menopause last varies greatly between women – some not getting any symptoms other than the periods stopping and others have symptoms for over 10 years – regardless of whether natural or surgical. I have found loads of useful information from the menopause doctor – dr Loise Newsome, Liz Earle Wellbeing and Menopause Matters. The first 2 also having good Instagram accounts as well as websites.

Let me know how you get on if you go to the GP for HRT xx

Carole
    Participant

Hi Jan0001, thanks for your advice. Policy seems to vary massively between different trusts. On the morning of my op, I was told to just see how I got on, and if I thought I needed HRT afterwards I should see my GP. No-one else has given me any advice at all.

I think I will speak to my GP. Unfortunately the one I normally see won’t be there until Friday, so I have to decide whether to wait or see someone else. I’ll see how tonight goes! And I will check out those websites, thank you!

Pudsey62
    Participant

I’m not sure if it was broadcast outside Scotland, but there was an excellent programme a couple of years ago by Kirsty Wark. Can’t see it on iPlayer any more, but this article has some links that might be useful. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/kirsty-wark-menopause-liberation/
    Hope you both get this sorted out soon.

Jan0001
    Participant

Thanks Pudsey62 what a shame it’s no longer on iplayer – I did read the article though.

Pudsey62
    Participant

My employers recently sent out a message to tell all staff about a Menopause Cafe ( we get a lot of “equality/ women’s stuff” emails). I’ve just looked and it seems to be moving across the country. Don’t know if there is one near any of you? https://www.menopausecafe.net

Jan0001
    Participant

Thanks for the link Pudsey62 there is one fairly close to me. I’ll look into it further 😃

Nishika
    Participant

Hello Ladies, I’m a latecomer to this forum – just discovered it. It’s good to hear so many other voices. Recovery can be a bit of a lonely process, I find. Hope you don’t mind if I share my experiences so far. Had surgery on 15 Feb.

Had a laparoscopic hysterectomy, cervix and one ovary gone, too. Had been on the waiting list with severe endo and fibroids for close to two years. In the end, it wasn’t the pain so much as the unmanagable periods. I counted tampons on my last period. On a conservative estimate I lost more than a litre of blood. It was debilitating.

I had a lot of time to come terms with the idea of losing my uterus. But I am 43 and childless (Because of the endo? Who knows.) and it was a big thing. While I was super nervous before the surgery, I was also really really glad when it was done. It feels like I have finally been able to close a long and painful chapter. The surgeon said mine was the biggest uterus she had ever removed through a laparoscopy (“Usually they’re the size of a pear. Yours filled half a bucket”). I am now enjoying a super flat belly and that kinda helps, too. 🙂

I had two laps before for endo cysts, but everyone said this was going to be much bigger. Turns out it is. While the initial recovery was really quick – I left hospital after one night and got off the painkillers after 3 days – it’s been a slow process since. 4 weeks on and I still tire easily. I am working a few hours a day from home, but meeting a friend for lunch or any kind of stress can still knock me out. I have a total of 6 weeks of leave, but am nervous about the prospect of going back to work full time.

The biggest issue during recovery has been a persistent thrush infection. I had it before surgery and since I can’t use cream, I’ve been taking fluconazole for a month now and it’s still lingering. Need to look into gut health, I guess. Oh, and went on a long walk the other day and ended up in severe pain for two days after. Still getting pains where my right ovary used to be. Bit worried I might have torn or strained something inside. – You only get one recovery and I don’t want adhesions.

But apart from that, it’s been a quiet time with lots of books and slow walks. My mood has been fluctuating. But overall, I am still incredibly relieved it’s done and I can look forward to a future without torrential bleeding, endless fatigue, pain, bloating, recurring anemia and all the rest.

Wishing you all good luck with your recoveries!

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • The topic ‘February 2019’ is closed to new replies.

Register to Become a Member Today