skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs January Feeling pressured to going back to work and haven’t even had my op yet !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Scattygirl
    Participant

My boss is already asking when I’ll be back to work. She asked what type of hysterectomy I was going to have so that she could google and see how much time I needed off. I work with special needs children in a very busy and demanding environment. She has ‘pencilled me in’ to go back the week after half term despite me saying that I may need more time and won’t be able to come back until I feel ready. I’m really getting cross about this 😡

Fizzer
    Participant

Oh my gosh Scattygirl, how ridiculous!

It is just so unhelpful for you, especially when you are already probably feeling rough and worrying.

The guidance on the nhs site is:

‘It takes about six to eight weeks to fully recover after having an abdominal hysterectomy. Recovery times are often shorter after a vaginal or laparoscopy hysterectomy.’ NHS

But I think this is totally subject to the individual. I saw my consultant this week and she has said 3 months minimum. I’m a year 1 teacher and have been off since September, I had my op (TAH+OS) in November and am looking to go back maybe week after half term, if I feel ready. I had a large benign ovarian cyst removed in May 2017 by laparoscopic surgery and went back too soon afterwards. I’m not making that mistake again. I do get the odd message from school asking how I’m feeling = when are you coming back, but I’m not rushing. Working with children is full on and you can’t sit back and rest while on the job.

Please speak to your consultant or GP and explain the demands of your job. They should be able to give you a clearer idea of recovery for your situation and provide you with a sick note for your pushy boss.

I hope all goes well for you. The waiting is definitely the worst bit.

X

Scattygirl
    Participant

Thank you Fizzer, for your reply. I just really need to stand my ground on this one and not go back before I’m ready. My Nan, mum and sister have all had hysterectomies with my sister and mum having to go back again, for ‘repairs’ afterwards, because they did too much too soon. I just don’t want this to happen to me too. My consultant and doctor are both lovely so I know they will listen to me. Working with children is certainly full on!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today