skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs September Help! Excrutiating Spasms

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Alfiesmumx
    Participant

Apologies for the dramatics ladies but I’m desperate for some advice/guidance. Had my Total Abdominal Hysterectomy with BSO yesterday with very severe pain which I am coping with (just). However nurses made me get out of bed and sit in chair this morning and are now trying to get me to the bathroom to get washed, I still have catheter in. However I am experiencing sudden excrutiating stabbing spasms in my lower left hand side when I move which the nurses say doesn’t fit with the normal post op pains. No one seems to know what is causing it and I’ve had a boatload of painkillers to no avail. I am currently sitting on the side of the bed too scared to move at all!
    Any ideas anyone?
    Love Alfiesmum xx

Feeling fab
    Participant

Hi,
    Just seen your post – totally feeling for you as it must be quite frightening.
    I understand what you said about already being on high doses of pain killers before the surgery so your body is already used to them, but i think you need to just keep telling the nurses where you have the pain and at what level.
    The physios will want you out of pain so you can move around more easily.
    It is so difficult for anyone to know what is normal.
    I was at the opposite end of the scale with no pain at all.
    Just keep telling the nurses and maybe ask for the surgeon to call and see you so he can check everything.
    Nothing wrong with insisting on some reassurance.
    Most of us are told at pre op to let the nurses know immediately if the pain goes above 3 so you sound much higher than that.

Hang on in there
    We are all feeling for you.
    Keep messaging if you are still worried xxx

Gttoa
    Participant

Could it be the gas pains people post about? I haven’t had them but I’ve they are very painful x

Feeling fab
    Participant

Ooh yes, could be…. in which case moving around will help.

But I would keep checking with the medical staff first.
    Don’t worry about using your buzzer – that is what it is there for.
    If you get desperate with the pain and buzzer is not being answered if you press it again they should come to you immediately.
    The buzzer makes a different sound if you press it a second time. Usually means someone really wants some help

Alfiesmumx
    Participant

Thanks for the responses ladies. Much appreciated and I will run everything by the nurses. My urine output is a bit low so Sister is doing some checks the speaking to Doctor. I tried to use a baby wipe “down below” and as soon as it touched my skin the pain went thro the roof! I was 9.9 on the pain scale last night and I don’t say that lightly! Currently between 7-9. Never expected to suffer like this and I’ve been told I’m on the highest doze of controlled drugs possible so finding it all a bit overwhelming at present.
    Hope everyone else is doing ok and sorry again for the dramatics ladies xxx

Feeling fab
    Participant

No dramatics at all – just a huge well done for being so brave xxx

Just keep pressing that bell and telling the staff what is happening x

Alfiesmumx
    Participant

Oh boy it’s been a rough couple of days! Finally found out what was giving me so much pain – my catheter was pressing against raw nerves! Got it taken out late last night and instant relief! I’m very tender from the aggravation it’s caused but at least I can now begin the healing process. Had a nosebleed and some dizziness after my first trip to the loo on my own but ok now. Still on high doses of opiods though. Hoping to go home today as my experience in hospital hasn’t been the best!
    Thanks for all your help and advice ladies, it was so much appreciated in my darkest hour!
    Love Alfiesmum xx

Feeling fab
    Participant

Oh thank goodness!
    You are going to find the rest of the recovery a breeze after those terrible couple of days.
    A huge ‘Well done’ again for getting through it xxx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today