skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums Types of Hysterectomy Laparascopic Hysterectomy HELP! What are the odds and swollen belly

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Clare

Hi, just wandering how many TLHs go to plan and how many have to be changed to abdominal during the surgery, anyone got any experience of either? Also, how long after my op should i expect a swollen belly? its all the unknowns that are worrying me, any help would be much appreciated.

Clare
    no kids through choice
    1 fur baby called smeagol
    very supportive partner

Hyster HellyB
    Participant

Hi Clare

I had a TLH earlier this month and the surgeon warned me on the day that there was always a chance that if they couldnt get a clear view or full access, it may be necessary to change to an abdominal …I asked him how many times this had happened to him in the previous year and he had said once. Which was pretty good odds to me!

They also found endometriosis attached to my colon when they were “in there” and still managed to clear/detatch it laprascopically..

But if you are unsure about anything call the Surgeon’s secretary and ask ..

I dont know about you but when i was first told i needed the operation, I didnt know what I needed to ask, but do take time to read the forums – i also purchased the “101 handy hints for a happy hysterectomy” on my kindle, which also filled in a lot of gaps and has been a really good resource to revisit after the operation!

As to the swollen belly, I think it depends on the person. I get a bit of a belly after I have had fizzy drinks or eaten too much, so am trying to stick to smaller portions and still drinks only, you will also not be able to use your abdominal muscles as you normally do so it isnt a surprise that things start to “relax”

Other things that may cause a swollen belly:

You may well experience wind from either the food you are eating or from the operation itself but I have been using a variation of Charcoal Tablets, Mint Tea, Peppermint Capsules, windeze to ease the discomfort and of course not choosing food stuffs that will make you windy..

Also it is really helpful to ensure you take any laxative suggested by the hospital. I was given a small bottle of lactulose which works really well and you can buy it over the counter, cheaper than a prescription charge!

Hope these tips help! it is a scary time but as another forum user told me, there is light on the other side!

Hope all goes well and keep in touch!

HellyB

Clare

Hi HellyB
    Thank you so much for replying, it means so much to me to have support and hear from other people going through this. You sound really positive which is very encouraging.

I have bulk bought peppermint tea ready for after the op so its good to hear it does work!

There are so many things i am worried about, all the “what ifs” really, but like you say everyones experience is so individual. Its good to know about the surgeon saying the change to an abdominal procedure is that uncommon, i really dont want to have to have that done, but i guess who does!

Thank you so much again for replying, and i will keep in touch, op is 6 weeks tomorrow!!

Clare x

Melanie

Hi Clare,

I had a TLH on 9 Jan, having 2 previous C-Sections and a laparoscopic sterilisation I was warned that I may need an abdominal hysterectomy due to scar tissue but all went fine. I have been up and about since I was discharged 24 hours after the surgery, still getting plenty of rest but not struggling pottering about the house.

As for the swelly belly I found the first 2-3 days after surgery were the worst but just wear loose clothing. I am a size 12-14 and prepared by buying a multipack of 5 full briefs from M&S (£7) in a size 18! These have been great as they are loose and cover all the incisions.

I hope your surgery goes well and just make the most of your recovery time.

Mel xx

Clare

Hi Mel

Thank you for your reply, i am glad your op went well and your story is very reassuring.

I love doing art so have stocked up on supplies and think i will create a “masterpiece” whilst i recover!!!

Thanks again, it really does help to hear from everyone.

Clare xx

Melanie

Hi Clare,

Doing Art sounds like a great way to relax, I’m an avid reader so I’ve been working my way through lots of books.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to ask, no matter how silly you think they may be. I didn’t have much time to think about anything as it all happened so quickly which is why I only came across the forum the other day (on a break between books!). I saw my consultant on 5th Jan and had my op 9th Jan! So the days between were just a mad frenzy of trying to get organised.

Take care and keep in touch,

Mel xx

Clare

Gosh Mel that must have been a real rush, i dont know if i could have kept my head, im a planner, have to know whats happening big time. Thank you again, i have loads of “silly” questions but am trying to work through them in my head, but i am sure i will be asking some of them on here before my op. Hope you are doing well.

Clare x

Wendy

Hello. I had my surgery 3 months ago and I still have a sore swollen belly at times . They were going to attempt a Laparoscopic approach but went for the abdominal incision as the fibroid was too big.
    I was in hospital for 3 days then discharged home.
    I am a nurse but this did not prepare me for my recovery and the vulnerability you feel.
    I had large haematomas around the wound, belly and pubic area ( blood clots under the skin) which still cause me problems.
    However the wind was the most painful. Best things are lactulose to prevent constipation and buscopan to ease the spasm and trapped wind these are available to buy over the counter at chemists and supermarkets. Peppermint tea is also very good.
    I lived in my jeggings after the first 2 weeks as they gave support and are stretchy . I have started my phased return at work but I am on desk duty for a month( my job is in training and education for nurses), but I found my uniform did not give any support and I was very sore after the first day.
    I have now stocked up sloggi pants and support tights and being allowed to my normal clothes at the moment until I can go back to the wards. However I found the tights created a lot of static with my trousers !!!
    Take your time, be kind to yourself you will feel emotional as well as physically healing.
    being childless myself but not through choice I had come to terms with it and accepted it, but the sadness does come back as some of my younger friends have been having babies, one of which gave birth to hers on my day of surgery. I have my lovely fluffy boy and cheeky 3year old Border collie who has given me lots of cuddles.
    if you are worried about your pet getting on to your lap, protect yourself with cushion.
    hope this all helps and good luck. Best wishes Wendy

Clare

Thanks Wendy, it sounds like you have had/are having a tough time but are pulling through which is the main thing. It must be so hard if you did want children, i cannot imagine how emotional that must be, and friends having babies cant help, i really feel for anyone who has to have this op and wanted children so me heart goes out to you. Thank you for taking the time to reply, any words of wisdom are welcome, i am so scared!

take it easy

Clare x

Wendy

It is perfectly natural to feel scared, as a nurse I looked after many patients that felt like I did and what you are feeling right now. Although the NHS gets a lot of negative exposure we are the best and provide some of the best care and treatment in the world without a huge cost at the end of it.
    You will be given good pain relief and your Anaesthetist will discuss this with you before surgery.
    I was on a PCA pump with morphine in and the nurses did observations every hour overnight and I was fairly comfortable.
    The first day I had my catheter taken out and I was able to walk carefully to the toilet. The pain was mainly caused by the colic, wind which was painfully but they gave extra pain relief and peppermint water. I was eating and drinking normally.
    Second day I was able to shower, pain management was better and the following day I was discharged home. The worst days are day 3 to 4 and that is common with any surgery. It is just the swelling and the bruising coming out. After that you will feel to start better.
    Week 2 I was able to get dressed and make a cup of tea with kettle only filled less than half.
    The unknown is scary but you will be okay. Good luck and take care!

Clare

ahh Wendy that has really reassured me, thank you so much, i guess if i was not scared i would not be normal!! I have been researching ways to alleviate wind and will be bringing lots of peppermint tea in with me!! Its so kind of you to take the time to write when you are still recovering yourself. Am trying to stay positive and not think about what could go wrong but what WILL go right!

thank you

Clare x

Karen smith

Hi all I had total laparsopic hyst an tubes removed 2 weeks ago I was so scared as have had few tummy ops an was made aware of bowel injury due to my adshesions but happy to say no injury an everything went well as to recovery listen to your body am two weeks out an still sore more I walk more I get pain good luck all Karen X

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today