skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums Gynaecological Conditions Fibroids I’m new and just saying hello.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Helen J
    Participant

Hello, I am new to the hysterectomy association and just saying hello really.
    I have to have a total hysterectomy in June and I am only 36, so it’s all very frightening and I have been trying to cope with it on my own. I figured it’s better to link up with people in similar predicament for advice and support. 🙂

Karen Wrigley
    Participant

Hi Helen,

I found this group about 5 months before my hysterectomy.It was beginning of September so I am well in to recovery now.
    I’m 48 so can’t imagine how it would feel to be a lot younger.
    This group really helped me as most people don’t want to talk about these things.

The hardest part is waiting.
    Stay on here and you will get lots of helpful advice, there are some great people.
    Any questions just ask.

Karenxx

Helen J
    Participant

Thank you Karen, how is your recovery? x

Karen Wrigley
    Participant

Hi Helen,

My recovery has been really good with no problems.
    I had the hysterectomy for large fibroids which were squashing my bladder/bowel and causing bad backache.

It helped that I had no complications and a few months to get fit before the op.
    Almost back to normal now and have just gone back to my part time job.
    Now walking as much as I can and back to playing table tennis.

Also I don’t need to get up at midnight for the loo.My bladder seems to have recovered.
    You may want to read the monthly groups.

Karenx

Helen J
    Participant

That’s great, I’m glad to hear your recovery has gone so well, fantastic! I am not familiar with the monthly groups, but will have a look. Thank you! Hx

karen.mail81
    Participant

Hi! I’m in a similar boat Helen. I’m 36 and going for a hysterectomy soon. I have one large fibroid (doc says there are probably others in there too). I’ve zero energy right now which is my main symptom. Provisional date for 29 January but I’m on the cancellation list to get op asap but no word yet and it looks like it will be January.
    Hope you get it over with soon.
    Karen D

Helen J
    Participant

Hello Karen

Good luck with your surgery! Hope all goes well and no complications. Are you going to have abdominal (open) surgery or a laparoscopy?

There are a few things I am really scared of, but I am mostly terrified of incontinence, prolapse and early onset menopause (and damage to organs etc.) but doing my best to keep positive 🙂

I’ve been in pain for the last 18 years (endometriosis and adenomyosis and now fibroids too) so also quite looking forward to having no uterus.

Hx

karen.mail81
    Participant

Hi Helen
    Last I spoke to the consultant he said about doing the op vaginally. What are you having?

I’m also wondering about early menopause. My ovaries aren’t being taken away but I’ve read they can then fail and then I’d get the menopause. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20’s so I don’t know why they’d leave my ovaries! Just take them and let me get the menopause over and done with!!

I’ve been telling doctors that there’s something not right since I was about 13 years old, so I know how you mean to be glad finally getting rid of my uterus!

Did you talk to your doctor about your concerns? Even go to your GP if you can’t see the consultant again.
    Karen

karen.mail81
    Participant

Scratch that…. they are taking my ovaries! I got a “pre-op assessment questionnaire” and at the top it said “Planned Proceedure: TAH & BSO” which apparently means they’re taking my ovaries too.

Helen J
    Participant

That’s really radical Karen, I hope it all goes well! I am having abdominal surgery as the fibroids are too big and the area too scarred and misshapen due to endo that there’s no other way. They will take the womb and the cervix out (only will keep the cervix in if it’s too difficult to remove e.g. adhesions etc.) Apparently the blood loss from open hysterectomy is like having 6 periods in one day eek! I’ve got an appt with the consultant on 8th Jan (kind of had to fight to get that) so hopefully will be able to talk risks and concerns.

karen.mail81
    Participant

Glad you’ve got an appointment soon. Hope the consultant is able to answer your questions and reassure you.
    I’m thinking maybe I should ask about the type of surgery I’m having. I think it would help my hubby to know what’s going to happen! He’s more nervous and stressed than I am!
    Karen D

karen.mail81
    Participant

Helen
    I hope you had a good Christmas?

I found out I’m having open surgery, rather than vaginal. Starting to get scared about it all. Do you get a lot of nausea? I’ve been really bad with it the last few weeks. Thankfully settled to eat Christmas dinner (!) but now I’m just really tearful all the time. Are these fibroid symptoms?
    Are you feeling ok?
    Karen

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today