skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs January January 2019 part 2

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Afterglow
    Participant

Thank you Mitzi and RosieSueCat. I had a better afternoon – got showered and came downstairs, watched some Netflix and messaged some friends. Mitzi, I did have bloods done before and think they were ok, it must just have been tiredness after the op. I am trying to make sure I eat healthily. I found out this evening that I can still play my guitar, as long as someone passes it to me and puts it away again afterwards. This has really cheered me up.

I’ve put most of my fitted clothes away, and bought a few new loose bits before the op. I think it will be pjs all the way, at least until the snow and ice go!

Afterglow
    Participant

Double post, oops.

Afterglow
    Participant

Morning all. How are we? I am one week post op today, going to have the tummy stitches taken out today, then going to the wool shop afterwards so that I have something to occupy my hands whilst Netflixing. Today is my first trip out since the op, the snow/ice/rain have made it easierto stay put. I want to start getting out a little bit now though. The compression stockings are starting to annoy me, but I suppose I should carry on with them for a bit longer. I get breakfast in bed then am up and reasonably mobile all day.

I’m still on the hospital pain relief schedule. There has been no pain at all, just the odd twinge, so I’m quite happy to carry on with my ibuprofen and paracetamol and will check in with the consultant’s nurse next week to see when to ease off. Digestion and bowel stuff is settling back down too, so all in all I’m quite content, if a little cabin fevered.

I would be very happy never to have another general anaesthetic though.. it seems as hard to recover from that as from the surgery!

Mitzi
    Participant

well done Afterglow you sound like you are well on the road to recovery. I too found I was painfree by 1 week and had reduced Ibuprofen and paracetamol to just one or the other and eventually by 9 days I was off all. still felt a little pulling when getting up but always short-lived and I found it quite a useful reminder not to over do it. However there are no prizes for putting up with pain so take it if you need it.
    the compression stockings got ditched by 4 days I am afraid as I had an horrendous itch (probably morphine related) and could not bear them. I was on the anticlotting injections and made sure I moved about every hour on my feet – no ill effects.
    Getting out on short walks will help but make them short and often rather than pushing yourself. You will feel a little like walking on eggshells and I was much slower as I did not want to jar my tummy – it all felt a little delicate down there but that has all gone and I am back to walking at my usual pace and distances to do a little shopping or just to catch some fresh air.
    Hope everyone else is doing well. I can only say that the decision to have this op was the best thing.

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi Afterglow
    Sounds like all is going well and you will be surprised how quickly the weeks pass and you feel stronger week by week.
    Like Mitzi I ditched the compression stockings after 7 days as they kept rolling down around my knees leaving a sore area. But apparently there is a small risk of clots for up to 3 months after surgery.
    Today 4 weeks I took a short drive out in the car as I was fed up with doing laps of my local area feel like I know every road intimately!
    Take care all
    ROSIESUE

vhemingway
    Participant

Hello all
    Now 2 weeks post-op and started working from home on Monday, which has been fine. I still get up and wander around regularly and have my mid-afternoon longer walk. Like you, Rosiesue, I am getting to know the local area intimately and am practically on first name terms with some of the local dog walkers. I got some lovely flowers and chocolates from work this week, so I think they appreciate me being back virtually if not physically 🙂
    Yes, I ditched the socks after a week, as I found that once I’d washed them they just kept rolling down. I would so love to get out of the joggers and also back to driving, but I think that will have to wait.
    One thing i have discovered is that if you eat beans and then forget to take your peppermint oil tablets, it doesn’t make for a restful night.
    Take care everyone
    Viv

Afterglow
    Participant

Thank you Mitzi, Rosiesuecat and vHemingway. It’s good to hear that life will continue to improve and that you’re all getting back into your stride.

The appointment went well today, everything is looking in good shape and apparently I am “walking beautifully and breathing well”. I am trying not to be too spooked by the idea of an infected belly button – was given very clear instructions on how to stop that happening. I am unexpectedly squeamish about the prospect of cleaning and drying the wound there, but I’m sure it will be fine.

We stopped at the wool shop on the way home and I have a not too difficult pattern to get going on. Then I had to have a lie down when we got back. Who’d have though a couple of hours out could be so tiring.

Re the beans – I had onion gravy on my second night back at home. Won’t be doing that again, much as I love onion gravy.

I really miss driving. Actually I really miss walking too. I can start now, but the weather forecast is not good, still I should be able to find 5 dry minutes and build from there.

Thanks again for all the support, I appreciate it. Oh, and the stockings are off 😀 I can use them if I need to. I have black over the knee socks under a long jersey skirt today and feel so much better.

nitty
    Participant

Hi what’s a peppermint oil tablet? and where do you get them?
    thanks in advance. I am 4 weeks tomorrow doing great apart from the wind its worst than the op x

vhemingway
    Participant

Hi nitty,
    Yes, sometimes i think the wind is worse than the op. I got them from Holland and Barrett – extra strength oil of peppermint softgel capsules 200mg, though I expect anything similar will do. I think they help, along with Peppermint tea and deep breathing when I do get the odd twinge. Of course, it could be psychological, but anything’s worth a try. Some people take charcoal tablets which are also supposed to help, but I haven’t tried them.
    Viv

nitty
    Participant

Hi Viv,
    thanks for getting back to me, on my way for some x

Lizbott
    Participant

Hi. My first post but I am finding your posts so helpful thank you. I had my full LAVH and rectocele repair on 28th Jan. Came home on 30th (2 weeks yesterday) and feel remarkably well. Managed to walk to my son’s (1.1miles) on Tuesday but knew I had overdone it when I woke up yesterday! I find that the more I walk the more wind I get. Does anyone else find the
    same? Also a reminder to check with your insurance company before driving.

Afterglow
    Participant

Hi Liz, it sounds as if you’re doing well, give or take the morning after the walking! My op was on the 31st, and I started walking outside this week. I went into town with my husband today for a coffee and a few bits of shopping – much less walking than yesterday but a fair bit of standing and I am absolutely exhausted tonight. As soon as my 11 year old’s tucked in that’s me done for the day too.

Wind’s not too bad for me, if anything the walking helps shift it. There is much less than in the first few days after the op.

My consultant said I could try driving after a couple of weeks as long as my insurance was ok… insurance said they were fine as long as I stuck to the guidelines from the consultant. I’m holding off trying for a few more days as at the moment I’m not sure that I’d have the energy to do anything once I got to wherever I was driving to!

Lizbott
    Participant

Thanks Afterglow. I find the wind builds up whilst I’m walking. The weather has been gorgeous today and it took all my self discipline to stop me tidying up in the garden. Where I live is quite hilly but there is a great playing field at the end of the road which is a God send. I set my stopwatch going and time my self. 3 laps is 20 mins. However by the time I’ve climbed the hill home I am pumped up like a balloon 🙈.
    I don’t have a follow up appointment with the surgeon but have made an appointment with my GP for HRT. I’m leaning towards the oestrogen patches.
    Have your stitches dissolved yet? My external ones are still attached. Not sure about the internal ones though 😊.
    Glad everyone seems well on the way to recovery. God bless the NHS!

Mitzi
    Participant

Welcome Lizbott I have dissolvable stitches in a horizontal incision about 8 inches long. They are actually mostly internal and invisible my Surgeon told me except the end which comes out as knot on my left side. I am now 6 weeks and can still feel it as stitch though bits of it have fallen off. Depending on what you have had done, mine was a TAH so removal of cervix, then you will also have internal ones at the top of the vaginal vault. sometimes you get slight bleeding when they come away although I have to say to my surprise I have not had any bleeding at all. I was put on HRT patches the day after and I would recommend them. They are transdermal so bypass your liver (tablets would not). I have felt emotionally very much on an even keel though still get some hot flushes – nothing too dramatic but have to throw off the duvet or shed a layer of clothing. They say to wait 3 months before they decide how to adjust the dose – mine might have to come up as I find the hot flushes a bit bothersome. Drove for the first time today to go food shopping and it felt absolutely fine. Made sure I had lots of smaller bags so none too heavy to lift and carry. It is back to work on Monday (mostly desk based) and I feel ready though the 6 weeks imposed rest have been good for my body and the soul. I hope everyone else is getting on well and enjoying this sunny almost spring like weather – have done some spring pruning this week, like Lizbott cannot resist…. shhh

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi Liz and Mitzi
    My surgical incision sounds exactly the same as Mitzi with dissolvable stitches and like her I still get twinges from each end of the scar. I am at 5 weeks post op now and the only difference between my op and Mitzi is that I was already post menopause so am well acquainted with the hot flush /night sweats that come with it! I chose not to take HRT.
    I have been trying to increase my activity leveles in the last few days helped by the lovely sunshine as I am hoping to get back to work in a weeks time.
    Mitzi are you going back full time or on a phased return? My job involves visiting people in their homes as well as office work so not sure I will be able to manage all of that straightaway
    Rosiesue

Mitzi
    Participant

I am going back full-time. My fit note runs out this weekend and I could go back to GP for phased return but getting appointments at my surgery is a nightmare. I can manage my workdays and what I do largely myself so if I feel I need to go home earlier because I am too tired I can do that as my employer is very supportive. Might live to regret it but will give it a go. Given the nature of your work Rosiesue I think a phased return is probably best.
    Mitzi

Afterglow
    Participant

Hi Liz

I had my stitches taken out at 7 days, so just over a week ago. I think any internal ones that are left come out at my 6 week check. I’m on Estradol 50 hrt patches – was able to do a “trial menopause” before the op with them and have gone straight back to them. Have had no issues at all.

It’s encouraging to read about earlier Jan people planning to go back to work and being able to do normal things like the shopping again, albeit with more and lighter bags! This week (just into week 3) I’ve started doing things like meeting friends for lunch, going into town for an hour or so, and am finding that I am properly tired afterwards. So taking it easy and learning every day just what I can and can’t do.

Afterglow
    Participant

Hi Liz

I had my stitches taken out at 7 days, so just over a week ago. I think any internal ones that are left come out at my 6 week check. I’m on Estradol 50 hrt patches – was able to do a “trial menopause” before the op with them and have gone straight back to them. Have had no issues at all.

It’s encouraging to read about earlier Jan people planning to go back to work and being able to do normal things like the shopping again, albeit with more and lighter bags! This week (just into week 3) I’ve started doing things like meeting friends for lunch, going into town for an hour or so, and am finding that I am properly tired afterwards. So taking it easy and learning every day just what I can and can’t do.

Lizbott
    Participant

Hi ladies and thank you for your responses. I only have 3 small incisions as my procedure was done via key hole and the stitches have all now come away 🤗. My internal stitches should dissolve and I’m not having any discomfort with those.
    Those of you on HRT, are you taking testosterone as well as oestrogen? I’m thinking of asking for the patches but don’t think you can get a testosterone in a patch. My understanding is that testosterone helps with foggy brain and more importantly libido 😉.
    Good luck to those of you returning to work. I left work in 2016 due to depression, anxiety and stress but now I’m beginning to think the menopause was at the bottom of it. However I am now in the process of looking for part time work as I feel that my future is brighter.😊

Mitzi
    Participant

I am on oestrogen only HRT (this is what is normally given when you don’t have ovaries). You might well be right that many of the problems you mention could have been menopause related. The change does often affect women psychologically and many get fobbed off by health professionals. I definitely recommend getting referred to a Gynae consultant as some GPs are reluctant to prescribe HRT. The British Menopause Society has some useful information https://thebms.org.uk/publications/factsheets/
    I definitely agree that this op helps turn over a new leaf and so all the best Lizbott with your future plans regarding work etc.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today