skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs January January 2019 part 2

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author

Mitzi
    Participant

I am on oestrogen only HRT (this is what is normally given when you don’t have ovaries). You might well be right that many of the problems you mention could have been menopause related. The change does often affect women psychologically and many get fobbed off by health professionals. I definitely recommend getting referred to a Gynae consultant as some GPs are reluctant to prescribe HRT. The British Menopause Society has some useful information https://thebms.org.uk/publications/factsheets/
    I definitely agree that this op helps turn over a new leaf and so all the best Lizbott with your future plans regarding work etc.

Lizbott
    Participant

Thanks Mitzi. I asked the Gynea when he came to see me the day after the op and he said to see my GP. My procedure was due to rectocele and uterine prolapse. There was nothing sinister found so he doesn’t want to see me again and there is no follow up appointment. I have an appointment with my GP in a couple of weeks and am hoping the hospital did the necessary blood tests to check my levels the day of the op. I wish I had read up more before my op. I had no worries at all about the op and only found this website when I was looking for some post op info.

Afterglow
    Participant

Morning all 🙂

Liz, I’m not on testerone at present, my consultant has mentioned it as an option and I might ask about it at my 6 week check. Mental fog is still a bit of an issue but it’s still early days in my recovery. I’m hoping that libido will find its own way back, I really struggled for some time before the op but was starting to get glimpses of it back once I started on hrt.

I haven’t yet had the hrt convo with my gp, as it was prescribed as part of a private referral via my husband’s work insurance. They have renewed it for me with no problems though so I’m hopeful there’ll be no problems going forward.

I’m staying in bed for some time today – can tell that I’m on the cusp of having done too much. Any tips please on getting through that Week 2 – week 4 window when you start feeling capable again but in reality are still weak as an over enthusiastic kitten?

Lizbott
    Participant

Hello all!
    Just back from doing the weekly shop with my husband and feel absolutely shattered! Just goes to show how up and down recovery is! Afterglow, listen to your body. If you’re tired, rest. For mental stimulation try some of the games available on your tablet. There are so many different kinds I’m sure you’ll find one you will enjoy. I can easily loose an hour. I’ve also joined Mumsnet and Gransnet. Both are free and some of the forum topics on Gransnet are hilarious! Another thing you could do is look for free competitions on the net as suggested on the Martin Lewis show the other week.
    I have done a little ironing. I didn’t set everything up! My sister did that and ironed large items then we tagged and I did smaller ones.
    I’m still finding it hard to refrain from lifting as it is such a natural thing to do. I was sitting down and my 3 year old great niece came over to me and instinct kicked in and I picked her up for a kiss and cuddle..my sister reprimanded me!
    If I make a phone call I walk round rather than sit. I find anti bacterial wipes a God send and use these to keep on top of the bathroom and toilet cleaning. Light dusting round the house is also something I’m doing. The extendable mictofibre things are great cause you don’t have to stretch. I plan to choose a drawer or two a day and have some declutter time. I’ll have a couple of bags, one for bin one for recycling which hubby will move.
    Crafts are also things I like to do. I have knitting, store stitch and macrame on the go (but not at the same time. Many of my friends have taken up colouring. There are a lot of adult colouring books around that you can puck up quite cheaply in place like B&M, Home Bargains, Poundland ir The Works. I bought a naughty but nice one (it had rude words in it) from Amazon with some crayons for a friend who was suffering with stress and she found it really relaxing and the theme suited her mood really well!
    I hope that’s given you some ideas. Stay positive Amberglow! Hopefully the next few weeks will fly by as quickly as the last few! 😊

Lizbott
    Participant

Cross stitch not store stitch 🙈

Afterglow
    Participant

Thanks Liz, I got up about 3, showered, then got back into my pjs and knitted. Just trying to embrace the tired. Thank you for all your ideas, there’s plenty to think about there!

A full weekly shop is a bit beyond me at the moment, I spent an hour just running errands with my husband on Thursday and was wiped out. Baby steps 😀

Afterglow
    Participant

Hi everyone, hope you’ve had a good weekend and Monday.

Saturday’s PJ day did me a power of good, I’ve been up and about since then, we walked to the local pub for lunch today and I don’t feel exhausted. I’m going to give driving a go tomorrow, probably just around the block, and we are going to take my daughter to the cinema for a half term treat. Hopefully that won’t be too much for me.

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi Afterglow
    Glad to hear you are feeling less tired and you are doing really well as you are not quite 3 weeks post op.
    I am now at 5 and a half weeks but still find some tiredness creeps up on me after periods of activity. I have my 6 week check up on Wednesday and then hope to return to work next week.
    I have driven a couple of times with no problems.
    Mitzi hope the first day back at work went well
    Rosiesue

Mitzi
    Participant

thanks Rosiesue for remembering it was my first day at work. I walked to work – it is about 40 minutes and through a park so a very nice ‘commute’ and I had done some 40 minute walks in the last few weeks so knew I could manage this. I must say I did not feel any different than before xmas when I last sat at my desk and got on with work and I did not feel tired. It was nice to see friends at work who were pleased to have me back and commented that I looked well too. I also did a little tidying in the garden at the weekend for an hour as the weather was so lovely and I could not resist; so far I have not suffered for it. May be I am really lucky but I feel like I have healed well. I have gradually increased my activities over the 6 weeks but have always looked out for the tell tale signs of pain or tiredness and was prepared to scale things back if need be. I really don’t want to upset anyone who is still having a tough time and this is not a competition but before my op I needed to also read stories of successful and uncomplicated recoveries otherwise I would have been too scared to go through with it.
    I still have a bit of swelling around my scar – a bit like a long sausage which dips in along the incision and it tends to be more at the end of the day but I can wear my usual clothes which are anyway looser round the waist to accommodate my large pre-hysterectomy womb with all its unwanted visitors!
    BTW how are you all doing with your pelvic floor exercises? I was told 5 long squeezes (10 seconds long) followed by 10 quick at least 5-6 times a day but I find it hard to remember until a physio friend told me about this fantastic NHS app called SQUEEZY with great visuals and sounds to help. it costs £2.99 but well worth if it reminds you to do them especially as she said we should never stop doing them if we want to prevent a prolapse and they are good for strengthening your core and preventing back problems.
    Mitzi x

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

That app sounds good I will look it up as I do tend to forget to do the exercises despite a friend of mine reminding me.

Afterglow
    Participant

Hi Rosiesuecat, Mitzi. It is encouraging to read about things going well, thank you both. Rosie, did you find the time going faster as you got closer to 6 weeks? I am trying so hard not to do the laundry/empty the bottom rack of the dishwasher etc . It’s half term now, I was lucky in that my husband could take two weeks of carer leave and a week of leave carried over from last year so my only job has been to get on with recovering. I get to my 3 week anniversary on Thursday this week, and then next week I need to start doing some of the driving for after school activities but my husband should be able to keep on with the laundry and occasional hoovering. I have a very light iron so have started doing 2 or 3 garments as and when- that’s about the only task that my dh can’t really take on.

Mitzi, your return to work sounds perfect. Are you doing a full week?

Re pelvic floor – I’m fortunate to be eligible for some sessions of physio under my husband’s health care insurance from work. I am very grateful for this – I never really succeeded with pelvic floor exercises before but that could have been because of my fibroids and over-sized uterus. SInce the op I’ve noticed that I have better “comms” with my pelvic floor, for want of a better word, but I really need to get to grips (sorry..) with doing the exercises right and doing them often. I’m hoping that the physio will set me on the right path. At the moment I’m just doing a handful of little squeezes every day, just to get used to how it feels.

vhemingway
    Participant

Hello all!
    Glad to hear your first day back at work went well, Mitzi. I am going to brave the office next week, having been working from home for the last 2 weeks.
    I’m ashamed to say pelvic floor exercises have dropped off the bottom of my to-do list. I’ve never been sure about them anyway as there is a school of thought that says holding the flow of urine for a count of 10 isn’t good for you, and I’ve never managed to get it to work anyway. I have heard good things about Michelle Kenway who is an Australian physio. She has quite a few videos on u-tube, and her site (www.pelvicexercises.com.au) has a section on safe exercise after a hysterectomy too. So they may be worth a browse through.
    I got the histology results last week – nothing abnormal to report there – and went to the dr today for a check over. Everything looks to be fine, though my navel is a bit red, so she’s given me some antibiotics just in case.
    So on the whole it’s all going well (touch wood). Onwards and upwards as they say – but in your own time of course!
    Vivienne

Lizbott
    Participant

Morning All. So pleased to hear everyone is doing well.
    The app for pelvic floor exercises sounds brilliant. I used to set the timer on my phone but haven’t done that for the last week as I thought I’d got into a good routine. Teeth brushing is my reminder but i forget in the day.
    Can’t wait to get in the garden and do something physical.
    Have a good day everyone.

Lizbott
    Participant

Hello All
    Trust everyone is still recovering well. Also that you’ve settled back into work or your normal routine.
    I have spent the majority of today in bed after over doing it for the past 2 days…my fault entirely. Out with my sister and her gorgeous grand children. Consequently used today to catch up on all the bed rest I didn’t have when I first came out of hospital.
    I have an ache in the right side of my vagina lips. I had a rectocele repair and wonder if it’s something to do with this. I have been doing my pelvic floor exercises with the help of a couple of apps I downloaded.
    I have an appointment with my GP on 4th March to request HRT. Will bring it up with her then.
    Wishing you all a great weekend. The weather is forecast to be lovely.🌞

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi Liz bott and all January gals
    Yes doing well. My 6 weeks have flown past and I am back to work on Monday on a phased return of half days for the first 2 weeks although my manager has said I can take longer if need be.
    It’s difficult as you don’t really know how you will feel physically you until you have tried.
    But I think I will be OK. What with Xmas and the op I have only worked 6 days in the last 2 and a half months which is the longest time I have ever had off work.
    Just not looking forward to my email inbox!
    Take care all
    ROSIESUE

Mitzi
    Participant

Hello and glad to see everyone is making progress. First full week back at work and feel good. Had bit of a draggy/achy feeling after standing for 2 hours lecturing but most of the week has been desk based and I feel no different at the end of the day than usually. The 7 weeks seem to have flown by and cannot believe that it is all behind me. Of course I know there is still healing and I feel the odd little twinge or ache + have a bit of swelly belly still but I accept that all that will take months and it is nothing compared to the rugby ball I had inside me. Good luck with your return to work Rosiesue and tackling that inbox. Take it nice and gently. Hope you all enjoy a nice weekend of spring sunshine.

vhemingway
    Participant

Glad to hear your first week back has gone well Mitzi, and I hope your return is gentle RosieSueCat – I expect sorting out your inbox is going to take up much of your first couple of half days! I too am returning physically to work on Monday, having been working from home for the last few weeks. I’m hoping to do 3 days in and 2 working from home for the first week or so – it’s not the actual work that’s tiring it’s the travelling. But we’ll see how it goes. Not sure I’ll manage to poo without my little stool – it really does help, but somehow I can’t see me taking it to work 🙂
    I took advantage of the lovely weather today and had a (too) long walk, so will be resting tomorrow. I have discovered another thing you shouldn’t do – lean over a bridge to look at the river – ouch!
    Take care all
    Vivienne

nitty
    Participant

HI All,
    Had my six week check up on Friday, all is good and the consultant was very pleased with my progress. everything has healed and I am returning to work on Monday. still have to wait two weeks to get back to the gym but other than that back to normal activities .
    so Glad I did as I was told for the first 3 weeks. (did nothing only walk)
    Now its all over I am so glad I have had it done, no more pain, bleeding everyday, feeling down, Feel like a new women. Good luck to everyone on the couch, embrace it and if you feel up to it get out walking, it really does keep you from going stir crazy.

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi Nitty
    Glad to hear all going well there are a few of us January gals returning to work tomorrow. It’s a strange feeling a bit like how you feel before starting a new job!
    X

Lizbott
    Participant

Good luck ladies on your return to work tomorrow!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today