skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs January January 2019 part 2

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Lizbott
    Participant

Thanks for your concern Afterglow. I think my problem was down to doing too much. My day in bed helped tremendously. I am continuing with my walking . Managed an hour today and feel fine. I’m still not lifting anything heavy or over exerting my self with house work as that’s when I over do it. I’m cooking and ironing in short bursts. I’m 4 weeks post op so will start on the tummy exercises as shown in the hospital leaflet. Glad to hear you’re out and about. I do think it helps with keeping me sane 😉

Afterglow
    Participant

Hello! How are we all? Glad you’re feeling better Lizbott. How did everyone get on back at work? I feel so behind you all, with my 31 Jan op!

Just over 4 weeks today and I have to say, really tired. The secondary school offer came in today and my daughter got the school we wanted which is wonderful, but her best friend didn’t.

Anyway. I tried putting a very light wash on yesterday (literally just a few pairs of pants and couple of tshirts) and am paying for it today. My tummy aches a bit and I am just so tired. Laundry is apparently still a no-go. Patience… I am loving being able to drive again though, that’s making such a difference. I don’t think I’ll be going far from home tomorrow though, forecast is not so good and a day on the sofa looks like a very good idea.

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi Afterglow
    Have just completed first week back at work,half days although everyone expects me to do the usual amount of work as I do when working full time!
    Bit tired now. ..
    At 4 weeks I was still pretty tired I seem to remember keep on resting it does get better pretty quickly
    Rosiesue

Lizbott
    Participant

Hi all.
    Afterglow, so pleased your daughter got first choice for school. Such a worry nowadays. If was far easier when mine were at school. I am 5 weeks post op on Friday and still pain free. Still get tired though. Very hard trying not to do too much. Had the iron and board set up for 3 days and tackled it a but at a time. Such a feeling of satisfaction when I’d done if all 🤗.
    Rosiesue pleased you’ve got through your first week back at work. Don’t be badgered into doing more than can. You’re on phased return for a reason. Keep strong mentally ax well as physically.
    I have put an application in for a part time job at the local housing authority. Keep your fingers crossed for me 🤞 Onwards and upwards!

Afterglow
    Participant

Look out for yourself RosieSue, it must be strange to feel almost back to normal but not entirely back to normal. I hope you have a lovely restful weekend.

Good luck with the job application Lizbott! Congratulations on the ironing too. We have a steam generator here so the iron part is not too heavy – my hsband fills it up for me and off I go. I’m up to about 20 minutes now. Like you, trying to do little and often.

Yes, we are pleased to bits with the school result, one less thing to worry about (though now I have to find out about buses etc!)

I have been spotting every day this week, did anyone else find that at 4-5 weeks? I’m a little bit uneasy about it, though the odds of my having done too much are quite low.

nitty
    Participant

Hi Afterglow,
    I had a little bit of spotting at week 4 nothing to concern me, My Doctor told me it was normal for up to 6 weeks, just keep an eye on it if it becomes heavy ring your doctor. I found mine started when I did a bit too much.

Afterglow
    Participant

Hi Nitty, thanks for replying.

I felt really rough yesterday evening and through the night so called the hospital helpline this morning (I’m still under their care) and they think I have an infection. I’m back in bed now with antibiotics. Hopefully that will help me feel better and should also sort the bleeding out – it was getting heavier and redder.

Lizbott
    Participant

Poor you Afterglow. Hope you’re feeling better soon.
    I’m at the doc tomorrow am. I’m concerned that my rectocele is back 😣 but then again I can’t remember how I felt down there pre bulge! Hope it’s all ok! Also going to ask for blood tests to determine what level of HRT I’ll be taking. The flushed are coming about half a dozen times a day now.
    Wishing all a good week. Xxx

Afterglow
    Participant

How did it go Liz?

I’m on Evorel 50 oestrogen patches, they’re working very well for me.

The antibiotics are helping – I woke up feeling much better today. Took things very easy, have been in bed for most of the day. I’m still spotting very generously though. Will keep an eye on things and call back in a day or two if it doesn’t ease

Lizbott
    Participant

Hi Afterglow.
    Glad the antibiotics are starting to work. Keep an eye on that spotting. I hope it stops soon.
    The rectocele isn’t back…hooray! I still have a large stitch in the vaginal wall with a long tail. Been advised to refrain from sex for another 6 weeks 😞 and to still refrain from lifting etc. I can start driving next week if im able to press thd pedals wih no pain. I can still tell when I’ve done too much. It feels like internal bruising that starts hurting.
    I’ve been prescribed Everol 25 patches. The pharmacy didn’t have them yesterday so will pick them up today. She wouldn’t even entertain testosterone. Will see how the Everol works. Had a busy weekend and again yestersay so will need to rest up more today as was very uncomfortable and swollen last night.

Afterglow
    Participant

How are you doing with the Evorel, Liz? You might find that you don’ t need the testosterone, my libido is certainly improving just on the oestrogen. Good luck with the driving too. I loved being mobile again.

The antibiotics are doing the trick for me, much less spotting. I did half a day in the darkroom yesterday making prints, I was so tired when I got home but was fine today. Early night tonight though I think. My 6 week check is next Wednesday and I start physio next Thursday. Onwards 😀

Lizbott
    Participant

Hi Afterglow
    So pleased you’re feeling better.
    So far so good on Everol. No side effects as yet. How long before you started feeling the benefits if you don’t mind me asking.
    Enjoy your weekend. 😊

Afterglow
    Participant

Hi Liz, glad you’re doing ok on the Evorel. My consultant offered me a “test menopause” last year so I could try HRT before committing to surgery. So I went onto something to stop me ovulating and the Evorel, I started feeling better within hours of starting the Evorel, it was startlingly fast. Apparently my body had been starved of oestrogen for some time. I’m still feeling the same benefits from the Evorel now.

I did ask him about testosterone, he said that would be an option if I needed it. I’m not sure that I will but it’s good to know it’s there as a possibility. Are you on progesterone as well as oestrogen? I can’t remember if you had your ovaries out as well. I had everything out so am just on oestrogen, I have never got on well with progesterone.

Hope you have a good weekend too. I am re-starting many of my favourite things now and it feels so satisfying to pass all these little milestones. Yesterday was the darkroom, today was a guitar lesson- driving myself, carrying my guitar and playing it for an hour. Good times.

Lizbott
    Participant

So glad you’re well on the mend Afterglow. I am still not sure if the Everol is working. I think I’ll need a higher dose. The hot flushes have been a right pain yesterday and today and still have brain fog. I had ovaries and tubes removed plus rectocele repair so no need for progesterone.
    Been in touch with the insurance company and will be driving from Monday. Can’t wait!
    I have a job interview as a mediator on Tuesday. Completely different to what I’m used to but sounds so interesting. Fingers crossed 🤞. Just hope my mind doesn’t go blank!
    Still itching to get out in the garden but only a few more weeks then I should be up and running. 🤗.

Pudsey62
    Participant

Hello January ladies.

I’ve popped over from February for some advice from those who have already trodden the path. I had a total LAV + BSO at the start of February, and things seem to have gone quite well. I was (ironically) fit and healthy before the surgery. I’m still waiting for histology results and that seems to be taking quite a while but it will be low priority I suspect.

I’m scheduled to return to work a week on Monday and my employers expect a phased return. I have to commute by public transport and often end up standing on the bus and subway in the rush hour. I was thinking of a week at something like 10am to 3pm, then back to full time the next week if that works out. I’m lucky enough to have booked a holiday for the following week, before I had the surgery at pretty short notice. Just need my GP to confirm it’s OK for the insurance.

Does that seem a reasonable plan? I’m fine walking quite long distances now and have done light housework for a few weeks, but have been away from most of my usual activities.

All comments welcome!

vhemingway
    Participant

Hi Pudsey62
    I had the same op laparascopically towards the end of Jan. I had a week off, then worked from home for a few weeks, then went back to work about 5 weeks after my op, doing the first three days at work, and the last two working from home. It was my choice as I’m a contractor, but it was fine. I too commute by public transport (2 trains) but generally they’re not crowded so it was fine.
    So I think your plan sounds reasonable. You may find you’re more tired at the end of the day than you used to be, but that’s to be expected – I still can’t walk up the hill at my pre-op pace, but that will come with time. Just be careful not to get jostled on public transport (an elbow in the abdomen wouldn’t be good), if you need to sit down then ask to do so, and above all listen to how your body feels, and if you need to cut your hours further in the first few weeks then do.
    I hope it all goes well for you!
    Viv

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi Pudsey
    I had a total abdominal hyst and BSO and I went back to work at 6 weeks post op for half days 8.30am to 12.30 for 2 weeks and then last week I went back to full time hours.
    I found the first week full time pretty tiring but not impossible and now it’s the weekend and I feel good, I am going swimming tomorrow for the first time since the op.
    Hope your histology result come back soon. Mine took a couple of weeks and all was benign in the end waiting for that news was the worst part of the whole process
    Take care
    Rosuesue

Pudsey62
    Participant

Thanks Viv and Rosiesue.
    I thought it would be OK, but my husband suggested that my Pollyanna tendencies might have made me a bit optimistic. Whereas I think he has been rather overprotective recently, bless him!
    There is no problem with flexible hours at work as I work at a University and the vacation will have started when I go back. So no standing in lectures and labs, and that certainly wouldn’t have been the case a few weeks ago. Have an appointment with GP next week, so I’m going to aske her to chase up the histology results and put my mind at peace. 5 weeks is a long wait 😔

Enjoy your 🏊🏻‍♀️

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today