skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs January January 2019

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 123 total)
  • Author

vhemingway
    Participant

Hello all
    I’ve just joined and am having a full hysterectomy with a bi-lingual oompalumpah (or whatever it’s called) on 24th Jan. I’m not entirely sure why I’m having it. I did have post-menopausal bleeding (which has stopped now – I’ve been on the waiting list a while), and the hysteroscopy didn’t provide a big enough tissue sample to analyse, so as they didn’t know what was causing it, they decided to take everything out just to make sure. Which makes a kind of sense. I have a few leaflets from the hospital, and I’m glad I’ve found this website and forum so I can hopefully feel better prepared. As I’m self-employed I’m planning on taking a week off, and then working from home (which thankfully I can do as my work is computer / phone based), but we’ll see how it goes.
    Looking forward to hearing from others on here!

Ellis04
    Participant

Hello vhemingway, I think I may be joining you around that time but I’ve not had my date yet. They said I should hear mid Dec with a view to it being end of Jan, beginning Feb. I’m having the same op as you. I have a cyst on my right ovary which needs to be removed and because I’m 53 he said he’ll take it all out ‘whilst he’s there’. I’m not through menopause yet, not had a hot flush or anything. Doc said I’ll be “plunged” into menopause afterwards so will put me on hrt afterwards.

Have just come across this whilst looking for info. Good luck with your op and hope you recover swiftly!

LouiseD1
    Participant

Hi vhemingway, from someone who is just over 4 weeks post-op. Gosh, I don’t want to put you off but this is major surgery and you may find you need more than a week before going back to work! I too am home based most of the time but even reading and responding to emails has seemed a bit too much so far. Of course you may well sail through the whole thing and I am definitely (!) making a hash of recovery, but please do take on board all the advice from the professionals and those on here who have been through the experience. It’s a long haul and, as I keep reading, you can only recover once so you need to do it right for you and your body. I wish you and all the January ladies, who I am sure will join you shortly, lots of luck x

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi V
    I am booked to have a lapascopic hysterectomy with ovary removal on 10 th Jan for pre cancerous cells. I also had a small amount of post menopausal bleeding and have opted for the operation to get it all sorted. I expect to be off work around 6 weeks or so but my job does involve some physical tasks and lots of driving so it could be longer.
    Not looking forward to it but more worried about how my other half will cope. He is a typical how do you turn the washing machine on kind of person!

juleskirk50

Hello ladies and welcome,

Here is your list so far 😄

Rosiesuecat – 10th January
    Vhemingway – 24th January
    Ellis04 – TBC

vhemingway
    Participant

Good luck to all those who may be having ops in the near future. I am pretty much through menopause, I think, though the hot flushes are still going strong and after any form of exercise I am beetroot red and very sweaty for quite some time afterwards. This at least makes me look as though I’ve done a lot.
    Yes, I do take on board all the advice about rest and not working, and although my plan is to go back to work after a week, I shall most definitely see how it goes and not try and do too much too soon. Even if I only manage 7 hours altogether the first week, it’s at least a day’s pay I wouldn’t otherwise have had.
    Like you, Rosiesuecat, I also have someone else to worry about, but in my case it’s my mother who has dementia and who I look after. It is both less and more complicated in that I live with her, but I’m hoping my sister will step up to the plate and take over ( though experience so far suggests otherwise). I have got in touch with social services to see if there’s any help available there, at least short-term, so we’ll have to wait and see, but they’re probably limited as to what they can do too. It’s a shame convalescent homes don’t exist any more – I’d happily book myself in for a few weeks just to keep my sanity!

felicity
    Participant

Good luck to all the January ladies. The pre surgery worry is worse than the reality xxx

now starting week four of recovery after total abdominal plus ovaries on 10th Dec. So far so good no complications. Started hrt patches on day of op as only 47 and that’s all fine too so far. Not a hint of surgical menopause. You will need to take things easy and follow doctors orders, if looking after your mum you are going to need help.

Most useful thing I have found is my airplane neck cushion thing. It’s with me all the time. Perfect under seatbelt, when sitting to protect tummy, when on the loo in those first few days, when sneezing, laughing…. If you have one tucked away in a cupboard look it out now 😀

Xx

bookface
    Participant

Hello out there January friends
    had my pre assessment today for a total laparoscopic hysterectomy, hopefully leaving my ovaries (if all goes to plan). This is mainly due to pain from multiple fibroids in and outside my womb and an ovarian cyst on one side (which may or may not get the push). No date as yet but the nurse kindly showed me my file is marked January so it should be this month. As I sit with hot water bottle and painkillers I am glad it’s coming soon but also a bit scared if I’m honest. I was told today I have to stop my hrt patches now until after my operation which is going to be scary for everyone!
    The forums have been so helpful and informative and I’m so pleased I found them beforehand.
    Back with a proper date soon
    Wendy

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi all January gals
    Well it’s the final weekend before the op and I have a long list of things to do as I will be working up until the actual day. Still seems slightly unreal.
    My pre op assessment is only 2 days beforehand and I know my blood pressure will show as sky high as I have white coat syndrome where every time it is taken in a clinicall settings it will be. Don’t know if this will cause problems!
    Will post again after that
    Take care
    Rosiesuecat

vhemingway
    Participant

Hi all,
    I know, it does all seem pretty unreal. Like you, Rosiesuecat, i have a list of things to do / buy / arrange, slightly complicated by the fact that I’m going to Portugal the weekend before, and having root canal treatment on one of my teeth the Tuesday before that.
    At least I don’t have to worry about a pre-op assessment (or at least I don’t think I do) as I had that back in mid-July. Unless, of course, they decide to do another on the day.
    Felicity – glad to hear your recovery is going well so far. I’m sure there’s a neck cushion somewhere round here, so thanks for that advice.
    Wendy – hope you get your date soon.
    I have to say I’ve pretty much given up worrying about the op etc at the moment, though I expect I will start again as it gets nearer. Ho hum.
    Take care y’all
    Vivienne

juleskirk50

Rosiesuecat – 10th January
    Clare – 12th January
    Vhemingway – 24th January
    Scattygirl – 28th January
    Ellis04 – TBC

Good morning just adding Clare and scattygirl to your list – they should be along soon to join you xx

I hope all your preparations are going well ladies xx

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Thanks jules
    Well I keep thinking of things that have only just occurred to me for example my dinner plates and crockey is in a floor cupboard so there is zero chance I will be able to get them out. I am purchasing some paper plates for short term use!

Scattygirl
    Participant

Hi ladies! I’ve found some very good tips on the ‘on the couch’ board, I think it’s called. I’ve started to pack my bag already although I’m not due until 28th January. My husband is semi retired so will be home with me most of the time. I just want everything over and done with now so that I can start my recovery. Not looking forward to it though 😔

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi scatty girl
    No not looking forward to it either. But have a positive attitude at the moment. Keep thinking this time next week it will have been done.
    😨

cjn75
    Participant

Hi ladies, I’ve managed to find the January list! I am having a laparoscopic hysterectomy and BSO, for hyperplasia and fibroids, also excision of endometriosis and bowel adhesions on the 12th, have my pre op on the 8th. Have started packing my bag and putting meals in the freezer and getting lots of great tips from here. Have really been blanking it up until now, but it’s starting to sink in now and feeling a bit emotional. I don’t know how I feel about hrt, I am 44. Need to do a bit more reading! Trying to think positively though and trying to avoid catching a cold for this last week!

Take care all!😁

Clare xx

ROSIESUECAT
    Participant

Hi Clare
    My pre op is also on the 8th Jan. I also have hyperplasia and fibroids but at 54 have gone though the menopause.
    I have been running round today trying to get everything ready.
    The hardest thing to get my head round is how I won’t be able to do anything for several weeks afrer wards as I am usually always busy.
    My OH has a chest infection at the moment so is feeling sorry for himself. Hope he’s better by the time I come home.
    Keep strong it will soon be over
    Rosiesue

Ellis04
    Participant

Oh golly, good luck lovely ladies, I shall be thinking of you all.

I’ve chased the hospital for my date but no-one’s calling me back. Hopefully I’ll hear relatively soon as I want it done now that I’ve been told it needs to happen.

bookface
    Participant

Hi ladies
    can anyone tell me where to find the ‘on the couch’ board please? I have been there before but can’t for the life of me find it again and a search just brings up an error page.

thanks v much
    Wendy

cjn75
    Participant

Sorry Wendy i can’t help you! This is the first time I have joined a forum, I am useless! Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction!😂

Rosiesue, I know how you feel, I am usually really active and on the go and am dreading not being independent and active, but someone on here said that ‘you only get one chance to heal ‘ so I am focusing on this! My husband has a week off of work for the week I come out of Hospital, we have no family or friends nearer than 1/2 hour drive away. I have a 17 year old stepdaughter that will have a shock to her system!😂 also a demanding whippet who will be wondering what’s going on and driving me mad!😂

Ellis04, have you been waiting long for your date?

Xx

Ellis04
    Participant

Hi Wendy
    I was reading a page about ‘what to take in your hospital bag’, which I found by clicking on the ‘I am having a hysterectomy’ link. When you’re reading the hospital bag bit there is a link further down the page about ladies ‘who have been done/on the couch’ – I read it and it’s quite useful and interesting.

Clare, to be honest I’m not really sure if I’ve been waiting a while or not. I don’t know how long the process usually takes. My cyst was discovered in August and when I saw my consultant last on 12 Nov, when it was agreed I’d have a total hysterectomy + ovaries, he said he’d put me on the soon list because it’s reasonably big and there is a risk of twisting. I’m an NHS patient but have been seen since day 1, in a private practice that takes nhs catch ups. I’ve called but not had a response. I don’t want to keep calling as I know they’re all so busy. Hope it all goes super smooth for you on 12th.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 123 total)
  • The topic ‘January 2019’ is closed to new replies.

Register to Become a Member Today