skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs July July 2019

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Mini
    Participant

Hi there, I’m scheduled to have a partial hysterectomy on 2 July. Anyone else out there having an op in July?

SKTS79
    Participant

Hi, I’m having total abdominal hysterectomy on 26th July.

Mini
    Participant

Glad I’m not the only one. I’ve got three fibroids that are causing me grief. Low iron, sore back, bladder pressure etc. I’m very squeamish and don’t handle hospitals well so feeling very anxious. I’m trying hard to focus on the positives like making a list of movies and TV shows I can binge watch while recovering 😊

SKTS79
    Participant

I have one (very large) fibroid that has been causing heavy bleeding and anemia. I don’t get a lot of pain, so I think I am lucky on that front. I do have a bump though, so look as though I am pregnant at times.

I have been focusing on training colleagues to do my work while I am off, which has helped to keep my mind off the actual operation. I’m also trying to get a bit fitter and eat a bit better, hoping that it will help my recovery, though it is very difficult for me to stick to!

I think I will take your advice and list what I can watch and read during recovery. I have been thinking mainly about childcare and activities for my son (8 years old) as it will be the summer holidays and I don’t think I will be up to looking after and entertaining him the whole time.

I’m glad I have found this forum, as it’s good to have a place to ask questions and share information.

Mini
    Participant

Haha, yes I look like I’m pregnant too! 😃 So I’m looking forward to getting back to some sort of normal size! Well done on trying to get fitter and healthier – at least you are trying and It is hard being a mum, and finding time to do exercise and having time to yourself.

I have a daughter (15) and son (nearly 13) who will be on winter holidays for 2 weeks – I’m in New Zealand! They’re pretty self-sufficient, and I’m definitely expecting them to help me out. I have my operation a week before they finish up school for 2 weeks so I should be well enough to order them around and give them basic instructions on how to make dinner. But not being able to drive is going to be a nightmare!

Distraction is a good thing. I should probably start training people at my work too.
    I made a few meals to freeze this weekend, and have made a list of a few meals I can get started in a slow cooker. For me getting things in order makes me feel in control a bit, otherwise I just keep feeling sorry for myself and want to cry.

Thank you for sharing ❤

SKTS79
    Participant

Yes, I think organising helps. I have started thinking about clothes I will be able to wear after the surgery and plan on getting some loose comfortable clothes ready.

Luckily for me, my husband does a lot of the cooking, so I should be ok for dinners at least! I’m going to make sure I have drinks and snacks close by and move a tv to my room so I don’t have to use stairs too often in the first week or two.

We live in a small village, so not driving will be very difficult. I will need to make sure I have everything I need, though my Dad will also be available to help me out if I need anything.

It’s good that your children will be able to help you. I think we will need to lean on the support that we have in the first few weeks, which will be difficult to accept when you are used to being the support (which, as a Mum, is the normal role).

Mini
    Participant

I haven’t even thought about post surgery clothes! Thanks for the reminder. I did check out the hospital packing blog, it was very helpful. Especially the tips about ziplock bags, check it out if you haven’t already.

We’re lucky to have hubbys that can cook. I have two brother in laws who can’t cook anything…Mine likes to cook and has said he’ll be fine cooking after school pick-ups. But the problem is my kids are busy after school with sports every day, and It’s usually me driving them around. So he doesn’t realised he’ll get home so late so he won’t have time to whip up dinner from scratch. I’m looking forward to him living in my shoes for a few weeks and seeing/doing everything I do 😅
    Great you have your Dad to help out. I’m going to be relying on my mum to chauffeur the kids.

Gosh you mentioning you come from a small village sounds so quaint and peaceful. I’m imaging those picturesque villages you see in the movies.

Sennagold
    Participant

Hi, I am 43 and scheduled to have a total abdominal hysterectomy any time before 19th July 2019. I have numerous fibroids with the largest the size of a grapefruit. I am normally run and workout 5-6 days a week, but really struggling at the moment due to feeling bloated, heavy and sluggish! Anyone else have similar symptoms?

Mini
    Participant

Hi Sennagold,
    Yes! I tool feel bloated, heavy and sluggish. I have 3 fibroids the size of apples. I just can’t wait to have them out and start to feel normal again!

Sennagold
    Participant

Hi Mini, yes me too, looking forward to having the fibroids removed, but getting qa unite anxious as have a fear of hospitals and worrying about recovery. I am not very good at being ill and just get on with things regardless!

Mini
    Participant

I totally understand, I also have a fear of hospitals and don’t handle blood well (I’m not sure I even managed to have kids!), so I’m very anxious too. I spent also of time crying about the surgery when I first found out. The one thing helping me though is making a list of things I can do while I am home recovering – like a list of movies and TV shows I want to watch, photos to sort and put in albums, some scrap booking of momentos I have been holding onto it for years…rather than thinking about the operation itself. I’m also a bit of clean freak, so I’ve also be doing some major “spring cleaning”, so that when I am home, I won’t be frustrated by those things I can’t do. It’s also been a good way to distract my self. Just imagine how much better you will eventually feel after the surgery 😊

Foggers
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    I am scheduled for a total hysterectomy on 18th July. I have had an abnormal polyp removed which had a strange mix of precancerous cells tucked inside it. I also have a large ovarian cyst. Surgeon hopes to do it laprascopically but can’t be 100% sure until she gets in there so it may end up being abdominal. So at the moment I am not suffering many symptoms ( it was just a weird post menopausal bleed that sent me off to the Doc) so it feels really shitty that I seem quite well and am going to be put through this.

Having got through the shock and necessary emotional melt-down last week I am now in full on planning mode. I have a folder with lots of different sections to cover pre-op getting fitter, winding down work, getting our home ready for my recuperation, getting friends and family on-board for support especially in the early days.

I have some particular challenges as I work f/t and am also unpaid carer for my husband who has advanced Parkinson’s. So I have got a lot of work to do with social workers, GP, carer support etc to devise a plan for my post-op recovery which will support him and do the things I usually do (like personal care) so that I do not risk doing too much too soon and set my recover back.

I am quite squeamish about hospitals and blood, but some years ago took myself in hand and got some help from a hypnotherapist. It really worked and it got me through the minor polpectomy a couple of weeks ago, so I am more confident that I can handle this next admission. TBH, all the staff I have dealt with so far have been lovely and I am sure they will handle it if I do have a total wig-out at some point.

Mini
    Participant

Hi Foggers,
    Lucky you followed your instinct and got yourself checked out then, and also that you’re able to get speedy treatment. Sounds like you’re onto it with your planning, and sorting your husband’s care. It’s great you have support available.

I like the folder idea. I’ve just started a planner – counting down to surgery day with all the things I need to do like getting my hair cut and seeing the dentist. I just found out I need a root canal so I’m pretty peeved about that because now I have to get that done in the next three weeks and it’s stressing me out! – Another thing to add to my huge list of things to do, Arrrrgh!

Great about about the hypnotherapy. I’ve been listing to BMV Quantum Subliminal on Spotify and that helped me with a reptile phobia I had, so giving it a go with the blood phobia. Here’s hoping….

Mini
    Participant

Hope all you wonderful ladies are well as we all countdown the days 🌸

Catriona
    Participant

Hello everyone
    I’m new to this forum and forums in general.
    I’m 51 and having a laparoscopic total hysterectomy, taking tubes but leaving ovaries, on the 3rd July, due to fibroids causing heavy bleeding and uterine prolapse. I had my last decapeptyl injection yesterday so am officially on countdown.
    Am feeling frankly awful. I am deep in menopause due to the decapeptyl, but I also feel really anxious about the surgery. I’ve lost some confidence in the gynae department and the hospital I am having surgery in. They’ve made lots of ‘errors,’ and I feel on a conveyor belt and not truly listened to. I spoke with my GP last week about possibly pulling out, but for the moment I’m going ahead. !!!
    The website and forums have really helped my anxiety and brought a few things back into perspective.

Mini
    Participant

Hi Catriona,
    Welcome! Sorry to hear of your bad experiene.
    You’ve done the right thing finding this website. As you can see all us July ladies are feeling anxious and scared too, so its totally normal to be feeling like this. But hopefully the surgery will end all your problems and you’ll feel better once you’ve recovered. I’ve been booked in since March as I wanted to plan around my kids and work. So I’ve been stressing out for months! My family refer to it as my “holiday”, and the hospital as the hotel, as hospital, surgery & operation were freaking the kids out. I’m not far away on the 2nd ☺

Sennagold
    Participant

Hi Ladies
    How is everyone feeling? I have my pre-op appointment this afternoon. Suddenly it’s all feeling a bit real!! Hoping I will get a confirmed date for my operation too as my letter said it would take place on or before 19th July. X

Sennagold
    Participant

Good evening ladies,
    So after my pre op appointment on Thursday, I now have a confirmed date for surgery, which is this Friday 28th June! It has been brought forward by 3 weeks…eeekkk!

Mini
    Participant

Wow! Eeeeek is right! At least you’ll get it over and done with sooner, and have less time to worry about it. You’ll also be back to running sooner too! I’ll be 4 days behind you 😊 I had a unexpected heavy period when I was hosting a party last month, and I was just glad I had worn black jeans! So now I just want to have this surgery and get these fibroids out so I can get back to my normal life! Try not to worry too much and look after yourself this week. 🌻

juleskirk50

Good morning ladies and welcome everyone – here is your list it’s not very big at the moment but am sure others will join you soon – you’ll find tremendous support from all the ladies here and you should also have a read through the previous months as this gives you some idea what to expect during your recovery 🙂 – any questions just ask as normally someone has the answer – take care ladies and have a good day xx

I have also added Helen who had to cancel her original date xx

Mini – 2nd July
    Catriona – 3rd July
    Foggers – 18th July
    Helen j – 24th July
    SKTS 79 – 26th July

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today