skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs May May 2018

• This topic contains 54 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Mnw 10 months ago.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Jz
    Participant

Hi. This is my first ever message on a forum so if it actually works it is proof there is life after hysterectomy. My op, everything bar my vagina was removed, was 15th May, so I survived the first week. Reading some of these posts has helped but I feel like I am going backwards. I am still in quite a lot of pain but reticent to take codeine as I am being ruled by my bowels! Just want to stay in bed today. Any words of wisdom? Thanks Jz

Jz
    Participant

You seem to be having such a hard time. I’ve just joined and thought I would check to see how you are feeling now.

juleskirk50

Hello jz and welcome,

Could you take another form of pain relief as you are still early days yet maybe try paracetamol and ibuprofen can you take that ? You’re still early days and taking regular pain relief really does help you to move around easier – your bowels will settle down eventually 😡 keep drinking plenty water and peppermint tea or capsules can also help and move around as much as you are able to – you’ll get there it just takes time and don’t forget to rest !! Xx

Jz
    Participant

Hi Juleskirk50

Thanks for getting back to me. I am on continual paracetamol and ibuprofen and had been taking codeine too. Actually after a poor start, the pain today has been much better. I had a uterine ablation in January and had been in constant pain since the moment the sedation medication wore off. A combination of operation exhaustion and no let up from pain has taken its toll on me and I also think I need to learn to be less hard on myself. My OH is taking me out to a coffee shop that involves about 15 steps and a 10 min car ride. Is it wrong to be so excited about a trip to Costa?? Jz

juleskirk50

Haha no it’s not wrong at all – small steps you’ll get there don’t be so hard on yourself – you have had major surgery and need time to recover – hope you enjoyed your coffee – take care xx

Natalie Griffiths
    Participant

Hi Jz
    Hope you are feeling a little better.
    I am three weeks post op tomorrow and I think we are sometimes a little hard on ourselves and expect too much . I found that a heated wheat bag in the mircorwave for a couple of mins and then put on my tummy really helped and still does , TK max have a sell them if you don’t have one I am sure a hot water bottle would do the same trick . Like you I didn’t want to take the tramadol has it gave me nightmares . Maybe some of the pain could be down to wind , have you been given some laxatives / lactalose to take since you have been at home ? It’s hard has we don’t know what to expect and everyone is different . I also swear by my v pillow ( purchased from Dunelm ) has part of the issue is getting comfy whilst your in bed .
    Hope you enjoyed the trip to Costa .. a change of scenery can work wonders …

How has everyone found their appetite ? I have lost mine since I have my surgery ( not that I am really complaining about that .. I am seeing it has a positive but making sure I have smoothies etc. Not sure if it was the anesthetic or he medication. I would be intrested to see if it has affected you .

Take care

Nat x

Jenlea
    Participant

Hi all jz just going out for a coffee is a massive step just little steps are everything I have unfortunately pushed myself as I am racked with guilt over my partner doing everything and working at the same time so 19 days post op I’m driving have been for a week and today I cooked for the first time been doing washing and little bit my partner has gone mad but I can’t help it!
    Nat I agree with you I can’t eat as much food as I did before the op and I’ve gone off mostly everything I liked before mainly sugar I can’t stand the stuff now I’ve love 1st 9lbs in 19days I think it’s all down to hormones xxx

Jz
    Participant

Hi everyone.
    Coffee was great but I really noticed
    the poor state of the roads and amount of potholes!
    I have been the same with food, eating because I know i have to rather than being hungry. Lots of bran, oats, fruit and peppermint tea.
    It is so hard to not do anything but, Jenlea, I hope you are taking care of yourself. It is so hard to see others bring stressed due to something we can’t control but feel we should be able to.
    My OH suffers from depression, I have an autistic 15 year old who is struggling with everything anyway and is stressed that I am not at work as it is a change to his routine. Throw in a daughter just about to start her A levels and a mum recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s … Sometimes when you have to stop you wonder how you managed to keep everything going.
    Sorry, seem to have got sidetracked. Thanks for your support today. Jz

Jz
    Participant

Hi everyone.
    Coffee was great but I really noticed
    the poor state of the roads and amount of potholes!
    I have been the same with food, eating because I know i have to rather than being hungry. Lots of bran, oats, fruit and peppermint tea.
    It is so hard to not do anything but, Jenlea, I hope you are taking care of yourself. It is so hard to see others bring stressed due to something we can’t control but feel we should be able to.
    My OH suffers from depression, I have an autistic 15 year old who is struggling with everything anyway and is stressed that I am not at work as it is a change to his routine. Throw in a daughter just about to start her A levels and a mum recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s … Sometimes when you have to stop you wonder how you managed to keep everything going.
    Sorry, seem to have got sidetracked. Thanks for your support today. Jz

Katie 72

Hi all,

Jenlea please be careful, totally get the guilt but don’t make yourself unwell by overdoing it. Also, have you checked that you’re insured to drive? My insurers were okay with me driving as consultant advised, which was 3-4 weeks post op (bearing in mind I had laparoscopic) sorry to bring it up, but I don’t want you to end up with any issues if you’ve not been given info about this. My hubby has given me a talking to re expecting too much & overdoing it as well – think we might just need to listen to them…

Hi Jz, think a trip out after one week’s pretty impressive! You’re still really early on & pain & bowels seem to take a while to settle. Even with my extra issues am now using much less pain relief & bowels starting to behave at last! I’m 3 weeks out, but we’re all different. Best piece of advice from April ladies seems to be listen to your body & be kind to yourself. Like Nat I love my wheat bag, although has been a bit toasty at times this week…& agree good pillows really support you in bed, hardly any room for my OH by the time I’ve got mine in position!

Nat, appetite getting better, just can’t tolerate certain foods after stomach issues which’s annoying. Luckily mini magnums seem to be ok…😁

Hope everyone else’s doing ok

Katie xx

Sbudd
    Participant

Hi.
    Im a May lady too… and new to this.
    I had a full Vaginal Hysterectomy on 19.5.18 due to many years of severe endo, i was also sterilised 10yrs ago and im 35yrs.
    Up to now (week5) i’ve been doing ok… its been tough and sore and all the things i was told it would be but mentally i was fine.
    But since hitting week 5 i’ve begin to struggle. I look in the mirror and i dont know who i am any more. I dont feel like i look like me and i def do not feel like myself either.
    Im struggling with what feels like everything including my relationship with OH.
    Has anyone else had this? Do i need to consider going to see the doc and getting some kind of help?
    Though i do feel if i could talk to others who have been through this it might help.

Hopeful11
    Participant

Hi Sbudd
    Please don’t panic, I had my op 24th April.
    From being on the forum it’s such a rollercoaster for every one. Physically and emotionally. for me it’s got me to question all my relationships with oh , teenage children, friends and work . And myself and how I neglected myself.
    After alot of soul searching I’ve decided not to be just be the dogs body and putting everyone first. It’s rocking the boat and I’m not sure everyone is going to like it but tough.
    Relationships with oh are put under a strain as our roles are abandoned for awhile and we need to rely on them .I hated it but had to. My oh got bored after about two weeks and that’s why I’m so grateful for the forum as there are others willing to understand and support.
    A freind said to me that our children don’t see us as individual people with needs and dreams etc they just see us as mother’s. That’s so true for me .I’m changing that .
    So please don’t think your alone in having your feelings .I think they are normal ,we have had a huge operation that forces us to stop out normal lives completly and gives us time to reflect and think .
    Well done for joining the forum . hopefully other voiced will help you like I’ve been helped .I
    Hope you will come out of this stronger than ever.
    I saw a frame today that said ….there’s no flowers without rain . XXX hang in there 💓

Mnw

Hi
    New to this forum as problems with login, but grateful for Linda for sorting me out!
    Subtotal abdominal hysterectomy 2nd May and have been desperate to join for support..it’s a very lonely post op world! Friends and family have been great and have kept me ‘on the settee’ but otherwise going a bit insane with trying to ‘do nothing’ and worrying about whether I’m going to get adhesions, taking painkillers at over four weeks and when to go back to work!
    Am I really going insane?! Do I just need to increased my antidepressants?! Or is anyone else feeling the same at this stay?
    Thank you!
    MN..aka newbie!

Jz
    Participant

Hi all
    I am now 3 weeks post op and can’t believe how slowly it’s going. As Hopeful 11said you are forced to stop and examine your life. I have realized that I live to work and do nothing for myself. Not sure if I want to carry on in same job but have no energy or confidence to do anything about it.
    MN I am assuming that you were on antidepressants before your op, so was I. I am finding it hard to separate what is making me feel what…op or depression. Not sure if there is an answer. Maybe chat to good GP?
    On a brighter note I have not had to take painkillers for 2 days. This is amazing for me as was in constant pain and on codeine from January following uterine ablation.
    As I advise my teen doing A levels, take each day at a time. If that doesn’t work, take each hour or even minute at a time. Jz

Mnw

Ah thank you Jz!
    Am still on painkillers and Saturday I was still taking codeine!
    I was in ADs before surgery and I did see a GP last week to talk about the pain etc but 1) wasn’t my usual GP snd 2) she was so dismissive it definitely sent me downwards for 24hrs.
    Spoke to my GP today and have extended my sick leave to 8wks.
    Here’s hoping!
    Really trying to put into practice what I’m reading: Self Compassion by Kristin Neff!
    Take care and thank you
    MN

Mnw

Ah thank you Jz!
    Am still on painkillers and Saturday I was still taking codeine!
    I was in ADs before surgery and I did see a GP last week to talk about the pain etc but 1) wasn’t my usual GP snd 2) she was so dismissive it definitely sent me downwards for 24hrs.
    Spoke to my GP today and have extended my sick leave to 8wks.
    Here’s hoping!
    Really trying to put into practice what I’m reading: Self Compassion by Kristin Neff!
    Take care and thank you
    MN

Mnw

Hi All
    I hope you’re all recovering well.
    For those of you who had a sub total hysterectomy (without BSO) were you informed of the chance of still having periods? Albeit lighter.
    I’ve just googled re bleeding at 7 weeks and that’s what I read!
    Shouldn’t google stuff really, but feel I would of looked a tag silly speaking to my GP when I should know it’s normal..so I thought I’d ask for your experiences?
    Thank you:)
    MN

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today