skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

• This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  csg2006 1 week ago.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

csg2006
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am having vaginal hysterectomy on 19th August 2019, age 49. I have third degree descent of cervix and uterus with concomitant cystocele and rectocele. Oh the joys of being a woman!!! I am getting so nervous as the surgery date is getting closer and have started grinding and clenching my teeth during sleep for the past few weeks. I am a very active mother of 13 year old and 12 year old girls and have a very loving supportive husband. I am nervous about being inactive, hope I am not bladder incontinent, swollen stomach, losing hair and cant sleep some nights worrying about it all. Is there anyone else having the surgery same time as me? Does the swollen stomach finally gets back to normal? Do the stomach band support help with swollen stomach?

Any advise will be great.

Thank you in advance.

ChrisP
    Participant

I am a little behind you in that I am still steeling myself to get a date for this. I am currently using a gellhorn pessary (so it can only be removed by the doctor). I would have a vaginal hysterectomy with cystocele repair and a sacrospinous ligament fixation. Quite frankly, I am terrified, so I will be looking at any replies you get with great interest. I don’t have any incontinence at present so I really don’t want that to change. I live alone, so I would have to beg friends for help or get some agency care afterwards. I do wish you all the best and will be thinking of you next week.

Clairebear800
    Participant

Hello, I’ve just posted to another member in the topic, TAH August 19th 2019, absolutely terrified. I’m 3 weeks post my operation. I had (that’s the best bit about this, saying i had, because it’s all gone), adenomyosis, poly-cystic ovaries and history of ovarian cancer on my mother’s side of the family. My surgeon said he would remove my cervix and womb, but leave my ovaries, I was horrified at the thought of cancer, it’s a hard one to spot if you are bleeding monthly so I got him to agree to take the lot, it was abdominal surgery.

I too have support, family and friends. I’ve asked for help, I’ve rested, even though I felt like I could do things I haven’t. When I have, I’ve had some pain and I stop. Yes I’m much more inactive than I normally am. I walk a great deal, do walking marathons, walking holidays, do about 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day, however, this had all ground to a halt as I’d been so ill and depressed. I’m already starting to be more active, 5500 steps today and it actually 3 weeks tomorrow. I know my own body well, I listen to the twinges, that pulls, the pains. I rest and have daily “naps”, who doesn’t love a sneaky nap and I have an excuse this time. I sleep well, if I’m restless, it because my legs are jittery and I put that down to too many naps a the moment and it’s not a new thing, I got it before the surgery if I had a lazy day.

I’ve got a small infection, had to go to the doctors, felt like thrush to be honest but didn’t want to get anything over the counter before checking with the doctor. They had a good look, took some swabs. My stitches are all in place, some bleeding and discharge, all normal and I have antibiotics. My scar is healing really well, I’m already applying bio oil to help it be supple and to stop the dryness and itching.

I’m not sure what I’d do if I didn’t have help, the risk would be bending, stretching or just doing too much too soon. Good rest is so important. Your body really lets you know when you do something you shouldn’t. ChrisP, you must ask your friends, they may want to help but don’t know how to. Someone on here said things like asking them to do things when they visit before they leave, even little things can help.

Have you both joined the August 2019 group, I joined the July group after my operation, wish I’d known about this website before hand, I’d have been so much more prepared.

I haven’t noticed any incontinence, I was struggling beforehand because my huge womb was really pressing on my bladder, it was a nightmare. Other than lots of wee’s because apparently my bladder and other organs were all feeling and filling the void left by the removal of all my bits and some initial pain (first week or so but it passed) I’ve not had any issues, but I was very aware of the risks before the surgery so I’m not surprised you are worried.

I haven’t noticed hair loss. Hot fluses, wow they were bad, but I’ve worked out not to eat spicy food (till I get a handle on the level of spice I can take), not to drink really hot drinks, open windows and get fresh air and try to avoid getting cross, it really does make my blood boil it seems. The flushes have got less frequent this week, maybe I’m getting used to them. I’m 45 so a bit young for a menopause, I might go on HRT, might not, not sure yet. I get plenty of calcium in my diet, I’ll be active soon enough, weight has always been an issue over the years so I’m guessing that will carry on. I’m trying to take everyday as it comes, not get too worried and remember that within 6-12 (ish) weeks I’ll be back to fairly normal, but without all the problems I had before, so I can start living again. Taking this time to feel scared, sore, hot and sweaty, leaky and down will pass for good if I rest, go easy, ask for help and keep on wearing my big knickers, so comfy, I’ve got c-section ones from Boots (UK), so comfy and smooth and reassuring.

Wish you both the best for your surgeries. I do hope it goes well and good luck with your recovery too. I’ve really be grateful for the support from this forum, I hope it helps you too.

Best wishes Claire x

ChrisP
    Participant

Many thanks, Claire, for all the information and support. As soon as I get this booked I’ll definitely join the monthly thread (and get my local friends lined up to help,) I hope all continues to go well for you.

Christine

csg2006
    Participant

Thank you so much Claire for your detailed response. My husband will be here for support and all the help until mid September (He can only have that much special leave from work) as he works abroad so I am hoping I will be feeling better to do some household chores and a bit of driving by mid September. I guess its a matter of listening to your body and plenty of rest until then. Good luck Christine for when you get your date for the procedure. I will keep you updated regarding my post op recovery.

Best wishes
    xx

Clairebear800
    Participant

Glad I could help. I’ve had a busy day today, one day over my three weeks and we had a BBQ, I did some light helping and didn’t have a nap! It’s 8:50pm and I’m in bed and it’s the first day I’ve felt a little swollen again and some abdominal muscle tension, nothing at all painful, just a tight feeling, sadly not due to eating too much despite the BBQ! I’m prescribing myself a quiet day tomorrow.

csg2006, have a good day tomorrow, I went out with friends, shopping and stuff to keep busy and think too much about the surgery and best wishes for Monday and beyond.

csg2006
    Participant

Thank you once again Claire.
    x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today