skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs April New Member – Scared

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author

AJD
    Participant

Hi … been searching for a hysterectomy forum and this one seems so friendly and supportive .

I’ve been booked for total hysterectomy and possible upper vaginectomy on the 27th following CIN3 results. Had lletz (January) and cone biopsy (March) but still no clear margin.

I’ve got myself into a terrible state. I lost my mum suddenly in January but managed to hold it together for the first two procedures but now I don’t feel like I’m coping very well and I haven’t even had the hysterectomy yet!

They are going to try keyhole surgery and from what I can see – I should only be in hospital for one night – I’ve only ever been in hospital for day surgery, so for some reason that’s making me really anxious too.

Just wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom to help me calm down.

Thank you
    xx

AmandaJD
    Participant

You poor thing, it sounds like you’ve had a really rough year so far. I’m also getting quite anxious with less than 2 weeks to go. I’ve been trying to keep busy making sure I’m as organised as possible for the recovery period. When the panic sets in I try to take some deep breaths and remember why I’m having this done, and focus on all the things that will be better afterwards.

There is a lot of support on here, and some very positive recovery stories too. If you have any specific questions ask on the April page and I’m sure someone there will be able to help you xx

AJD
    Participant

Thank you for your reply and good advice xx Really appreciate it.

The build up is horrible but it’s actually really reassuring to be with others going through the same thing – looks like we’ll be around the same time then.

Wishing you all the very best and thank you once again.

Take care
    x

Cjenkins
    Participant

Hi both. I’m a mech lady. 21 days post op. Had full hysterectomy with vertical incision. I can honestly say the run up is the worse of the whole procedure. There was no one more anxious than me. Kept having panic attack’s. Right up until the time I was actually being anesthetised. I had to ask them for a minute! But honestly not as bad as you imagine. Any questions please feel free to ask. X

AJD
    Participant

Thank you so much for your reply x How are you feeling now?

xx

Cathmath1
    Participant

I’m 4 months post op and I too was worried. The worst thing was the cannula going into my wrist. Felt grim afterwards but was up and about after a few days, admittedly shuffling around, but a few weeks afterwards I was beginning to recover well. I now feel so much better and am back at work. Look after yourselves and don’t expect too much too soon. Be kind to yourselves and you will recover quicker.

Cathmath1
    Participant

Oh- and don’t forget to take some lactulose as the constipation was horrible to deal with for a few days afterwards!

Cjenkins
    Participant

AJD getting there slowly. I can honestly say I didn’t think it would be this slow or difficult. In the sense you don’t realise what you use your stomach muscles for until you can’t use them eg getting up and down off chiar, turning over in bed. Accept all offers of help , take time and listen to your body x

AJD
    Participant

Thank you so much for your replies x

Cathmath1 – so pleased that you are recovering so well and thank you for an idea of what to expect and the lactulose tip! On top of my shopping list.

Cjenkins – yes this is one of my worries – I do everything at 90mph and know I’ll find this really difficult. I think the only person who will be pleased is my husband who continually complains that he can’t keep up with me! He’ll probably start complaining that I’m too slow!

Off to pre-assessment this morning … maybe they’ll say it’s all been a big mistake and my biopsy results were actually clear !?!?!?

Take care and hugs to you both
    xx

Bobs
    Participant

AJD – I’ve only just seen this post. I had CIN2 which lasted about 5 years and then just went of its own accord but the stress during that time was horrific so I totally sympathise. We are having our laproscopic ops in the same week so can do this together with the other lovely ladies. I think a couple of the other ladies also have some cancer risks so so you may wish to share this on the April forum too so that you can get some support from them.

I can’t begin to imagine what it must be like to lose your mum during this stressful time. You can chat with us about anything so if it helps to talk about this too then please do. xx

AJD
    Participant

Thank you Bobs for your lovely message. xx It’s so good to be able to talk and share with people who really understand.

I got blocked out yesterday for some reason so couldn’t post – I’m hoping it’s a one off because this seems to be the one place that keeps me sane !

Take care … and thank you.
    xx

Didi in Sweden
    Participant

Hi, AJD, I’m going in tomorrow, 23 April. I am also a worrier, and am veering between panic and absolute calm. Let’s focus on the positives- we have good surgery now so even if it takes a while to recuperate, it’s not like it was in our grandmothers’ time, and the sooner we get this done, the better we’ll be feeling. I also have some wonky labs so I’m focused on taking it one day at a time. I think it’s pretty natural to feel worried, and think we’ll both be posting in a few weeks saying, you know, it wasn’t that bad….At least I hope so.

AJD
    Participant

Hi Didi x I’ve now got to the point where I just want time to hurry up and get this over with – it’s been the waiting and the anxiety build up that has really got to me. What you say is absolutely true – and in my calmer moments it makes absolute sense.

Take care and I’m looking forward to ‘it wasn’t that bad’ postings 😊

xx

Didi in Sweden
    Participant

Guess what, AJD- it wasn’t bad at all. Well, surgery is never that fun, right, but wow, what they do nowadays is amazing. Here’s a short run down of how it went for me- let’s compare when you’re out.
    7AM- get a text asking if I can be in at 11, instead of 12. Sure, I say.
    8AM- take the shower involving antibacterial soap that leaves skin itchy and hair looking like it’s exploding out of a volcano.
    1030- check in because Swedes like to be early.
    1200- still waiting in preop waiting room. Sent husband away because he was more stressed than I was.
    1215- taken to prep, shaved, little blood stick and cannula. I used EMLA to deaden areas before hand, so that was easy.
    1225- surgeon comes in. She’s great, very matter of fact, but also kind.
    1330- still waaaaaiting….everyone who came ahead of me is long gone. I pick up an interior decorating magazine and think, I am never leaving this room.
    1340- anaesthesia nurse comes in. Says it’s time to go, and we will walk together to operating room. Asks me where I’m from, I say Alaska, he says he was born in the US, and we find out it’s in the same city that one of my daughters lives. Chat chat chat all the way to the operating room.
    1345- walk into operating room, which is amazingly space age. They strap arms and legs in, so I’m comfortable. Second anaesthesia nurse says he’s been to Alaska. I ask how many fish he caught there. He says something, I say, here I go, then open my eyes wide so that they don’t start until I’m out, and then….
    1500- I’m in the post op room. Some pain around the main incision in navel, they give me meds right away. I am too tired to text my husband but knowing that he’s stressing so make myself message him a half hour later and by
    1600- in room for the night. They wake me several times for meds, and I’m in a ward with two other ladies. I keep telling myself not to snore so I don’t disturb them, but I’m pretty sure I did snore, since I slept great and they both said loudly to the nurse that they did not sleep a wink.
    And….1100 next day, after I urinate to the very crabby nurses’s satisfaction, I’m home again.
    Swedish care might be a bit different from yours, but probably not that much, and I’m guessing your story is going to be a lot like mine. It’s not easy to get surgery, but just think, by June, we’re going to be feeling great! I’ll be waiting to hear from you.
    Didi

AJD
    Participant

Bless you Didi x you made me laugh and cry at the same time. I’m so pleased you’re back home and it sounds like you’ve coped amazingly well xx I hope I do as well as you

I’ve had a really wobbly morning … I think I’ve sort of been in shock since my mum died and with all this going on it’s just kept my mind focussed on everything else and then suddenly this morning it’s just hit me like a ton of bricks.

Just need to get through the next few days and then I’ll find the best way I can.

Take care lovely – and rest lots. Roll on June eh
    Big hug

Didi in Sweden
    Participant

I am so sorry that it’s been hard to wait. I have also had a bit of a roller coaster. My mom is in her first round of chemo in the US, and I’m not allowed to fly until the doctor clears me, so we are scrambling for care for her, until I can get there. At the same time, I was under huge stress at work, so by the time the surgery rolled around, I was pretty happy about having an hour or two of being out of it.
    I’ll be here when you get done, and we can see where our experiences matched. Roll on June, for sure!

Mabelblu
    Participant

AJD,

I’m sure that if your mum was around that she would be very proud of you that you are being brave and going for the surgery….sorry if that makes you cry 😢. Once you’ve had this done you will be able to recover, carry on with your grieving for her and then live a full live which she would have wanted for you.

Trust me I’m sure we have all had moments of sheer panick. But I think I speak for most….once you get into the room, there’s a certain resignation and then you wake up and realise you done it…….don’t be too hard on yourself. I think you deserve to have some major wobbles given what you’ve gone through x

AJD
    Participant

Thank you Mabelblu xx Yes that made me cry but in a good way … your words are very comforting and really do calm and make sense. xx How are you feeling ? I hope that you are having better days and feeling that you’ve turned a corner.

Didi – I’m praying that your recovery is as speedy as possible and that you get to be with your mum really soon. Hopefully you’re managing to be in contact a lot with her at the moment.

xx

Mabelblu
    Participant

ADJ,

Glad you had a cry…it does good sometimes. I’ve posted on the April forum too. I’m definitely stronger but once I’m having a good day tend to then do too many things in a row. But I’m going to say overall I’m doing better and feel less like a 🐌…….I can see the early optimism post surgery with some of the ladies but my advice would be…even if you feel terribly guilty don’t bother doing anything for the first two weeks accept the recommended walking and very little for the following two weeks. I’m not sure what you are having? It may be different if not abdominal like mine. I’m nearly 50 and I’d say not the strongest being asthmatic but live a pretty full life having 5 grown up kids and adopted two boys…so I reckon I’m pretty typical recovery wise.
    It’s not long now…nearly the home stretch for you. 😘

Cjenkins..how are you doing my lovely?

AJD
    Participant

So pleased you are feeling stronger Mabelblu … I have really taken on board your advice throughout – and when I get over optimistic about how I’ll recover and what I can possibly do, your experiences and sound advice brings me back down to earth and I know I have to be sensible and not get excited when I feel good and overdo things. They are hoping to do keyhole – total with BSO and further examination and biopsies – cancer checks – but guess I won’t know until I wake up.

Wow … you certainly do have full life and added to the two legged family you’ve also got the four legged children 😁 I love animals … would love dogs but the way my life and work has been, I wouldn’t have been around enough …so a mad demanding burmese cat and my old faithful, kind and gentle siamese who is as loyal as a dog and just follows me everywhere 😊.

Thank you for all your support.

Hope you have a restful day. Take care of yourself xx

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today