skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums General Hysterectomy Complications after hysterectomy Overdoing it… Paying the price.

• This topic contains 73 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  Clare 4 weeks ago.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 74 total)
  • Author

julie makin
    Participant

Ok I’ve had my total Hysterectomy BSO, Omentum etc for ovarian Tumour April 2010.

After all initial moans and groans thought i’d done well, although I didn’t take much notice of early advice after op. Ie. changing beds general housework, hoovering and driving.

I’ve now just been told I’ve a hernia by my belly button which requires the scar being re-opened and mesh put in as the stomach wall was remove (Omentum) and bowel is pushing through the internal stitching.

Just to say no matter how you think the outside looks ok and healed you still can do internal damage.

I used to think how pathetic people went on about filling a kettle etc etc, maybe the painkillers took over and you think your body is ok to plod on. I haven’t a clue what damage i’ve done and could kick myself instead of saying NO ie taking mother shopping etc when I should not have driven or walked too much and carried heavy shopping.

Take notice please its a horrible ordeal to go through.

Cheers
    JULIE X

amelia70

hi Julie,
    Sorry to hear about what your going through, im 13 wks post op now and do find myself doing things i shouldn’t be. Thank you for the wake up call.

Julia x

julie makin
    Participant

Thanks Julia,

I just feel sorry for those who do have heavy lifting jobs and who’s doctors sign them off too soon.

Take it easy, I was pegging wash out 5 days after my op, I also used to climb on the side of the bath to get laundry out of the top of the airing cupboard !

joanne x

Sorry to hear things arent going well, thanks for the reminder not to overdo things, im 8 weeks TAH/BSO post op now, Im doing most things now except hoovering, still taking things slowly and realise that if I do housework I wont be going out at all and if I go out shopping etc then I wont get any housework done, as anything I do knackers me out and causes a swollen tummy, this week however Ive driven for the first time, ouch it was fine driving except for an uncomfy scar under the seat belt but afterwards i was in lots of pain. How do we know what pain is recover pai ie muscles building up and whats not right.

mumof2ds

Hi

Sorry to hear things not recovering so well, and YES it’s really easy to overdo things when you feel so good after surgery, a couple of times I stood in the first week and tried to cook dinner or lift the clothes horse out to the garden, thankfully the bearing down weird feeling stopped me over doing things further, and work hard on my pelvic floor exercises, as I red vaginal hysty more prone to prolapse.

I do now carry heavy shopping to and from town, and started lifting our 6 yr old son up off his bedside ladder to his high bed but I do listen to my body way more than I ever did pre op, but as I had no external wounds, as all pulled via below, it’s very easy to over do things as nothing physical to see outside. Thank for the reminder though, sure it will make everyone think twice even me four and half months post op!

Pip (mumof2ds) x x x x

julie makin
    Participant

Don’t overdo it here is my surgery this week 🙁

Sore is an understatement, its just not worth pushing yourself, you don’t see the damage until its too late 🙁

They had to open the wound up to put a huge piece of mesh in to support the abdominal wall.

Staceyd

Julie

Thank you so much for posting this! I am only 4 days post TAH, and this serves as a massive reminder not to overdo it.

I wish you lots of luck with your recovery, second time around.

Stacey
    xx

Bebba24

OUCH,
    Thankyou for showing the pictures. It shopws us that are due to go through it what the dangers are.
    I have shown my partner and will show my kids, as they will have to tell me not to do things!!!
    I hope you feel alot better soon xx
    Lea xx

julie makin
    Participant

Thank you both for replying.

I know its a shock looking at pretty gruesome pictures but i’d hate ANYONE to go through the ordeal, the pain is terrible its the internal cut that tears you apart when you move I suppose its because all the nerves have been cut through a second time.

I have been living off co-Codamol I never thought I’d have so much pain like the TAH
    I plodded on after my op thinking I could not do any more harm as I was stitched up.
    The consultant told me he thought the hernia opening was only 2-4 inches for mesh repair after coming round he told me the internal opening was a lot larger than expected due to me opening up the original scar nearly all the way.

Please take it easy ladies xxxxxxxxxxxx

rainestorm

wow, you are so brave for putting those pics on, i showed my hubby and he was surprised, mind you he has been fab, doing everything and insisting i don’t do anything lol…. i’m 5 days post op TAH/bso and still taking things very slow and not doing anything even though i can get by on normal painkillers alone
    take care ladies x

Ronnie2

Hi All,

The omentum is like an apron of skin that sits in front of the abdominal organs and protects them, in a standard hysterectomy this is not removed, whether it be done via the vagina, key hole or abdomen.

Normally they remove the omentum when they think cancer is involved. I can only guess this was the case for you Jane.

Jane I wish you well in your recovery, but to all other women please follow the advice in terms of recovery given by your Doctor/s for the type of surgery you have had, the fact is that the vast majority of you will retain your omentum and will therefore not likely to be exposed to additional abdominal complications, although they can still happen.

Equally listen to your body; it’s you who knows best. I had a great recovery from an abdominal hyst and got out walking etc as soon as I could and left the heavy lifting till my 8 week post op check. Good luck with your recovery Jane you certainly have had a tough time. Wishing you well.

Kazz

Good Lord Julie ….Ouch……I remember you having your Op about the time I had mine April2010? and thinking then as I was so “cowardly” thinking wow……..now I just think Ouch…..Glad I listened to my body.

julie makin
    Participant

Hi Ronnie,

Yes I had to have the omentum removed as I had a radical Hysterectomy to remove everything as I had a large ovarian Tumour.

Kazz,

glad you are ok, it seems ages … doesn’t time fly ! :mrgreen:

Slamjo5

Julie, you poor thing! So sorry you are suffering so much :-(. Hope you get better very soon.
    I had a TVH and my surgeon keeps telling me what a major op it is and although I can’t see anything, they have to cut through so many ligaments, nerves, tissues and muscles that there is a long recovery.
    Be kind to yourselves ladies, you deserve it!

Xx

OMG! That’s worried me to death!

I too think I have developed a hernia after the op. Mine was 7 months ago, and had a bikini line incision.

After months of careful activities I am gutted that this may be the case.

Am off to see Dr tomorrow to see what he says!

julie makin
    Participant

@life after Hyst wrote:

OMG! That’s worried me to death!

I too think I have developed a hernia after the op. Mine was 7 months ago, and had a bikini line incision.

After months of careful activities I am gutted that this may be the case.

Am off to see Dr tomorrow to see what he says!

Take it easy and Don’t worry….. I noticed a little lump over a year ago but chose to ignore it thinking it was just fatty tissue, however as the months progressed and standing or walking made it more and more prominent, as said I had the Omentum (Fatty layer of tissue scalpelled away to avoid any cancer bits spreading.) removed so it was considerably worse for me.

Maybe your’s is just fatty scar tissue, best be on the safe side though and get it checked out, the reason I say this is my 80 year old mother suffered a strangulated hernia a year ago and could have died as a direct result. You cannot just ignore them, they get bigger ripping through the abdominal cavity.

Good luck xxx

nu1tt16

Hi Julie 😀

Thankyou for posting the pics. I went back to work 4 months post op to a job that involves heavy lifting and carrying. After reading your post elsewhere I have refused to do anything that I think is too much for me even now at 5 months post op. I felt like a fraud to start with but do not want to go through what you have, especially now having seen the pics. I still don’t understand those who follow the rcog guidelines about being fit for lifting and returning to work at 6 weeks. You, and others in a similar situation, are proof that if you overdo it too soon post op then problems can arise further down the line. I hope that your recovery from this latest op goes smoothly and that you are now finished with ops altogether 😀 (((HUGS)))

julie makin
    Participant

@nu1tt16 wrote:

Hi Julie 😀

Thankyou for posting the pics. I went back to work 4 months post op to a job that involves heavy lifting and carrying. After reading your post elsewhere I have refused to do anything that I think is too much for me even now at 5 months post op. I felt like a fraud to start with but do not want to go through what you have, especially now having seen the pics. I still don’t understand those who follow the rcog guidelines about being fit for lifting and returning to work at 6 weeks. You, and others in a similar situation, are proof that if you overdo it too soon post op then problems can arise further down the line. I hope that your recovery from this latest op goes smoothly and that you are now finished with ops altogether 😀 (((HUGS)))

Thanks so much for the kind reply, to be honest it only started showing itself 12 months after my op but gradually the instestine pushed more and more through the internal wound albeit to a stage I knew would need surgery or suffer a strangulated hernia which can be fatal. I would STRESS to all you ladies who do heavy lifting to take care in the early months (I went fishing in France with the other half and blame a lot on that) I just thought oh no pain i’m ok to change the beds carry the washing out etc etc, I work from home too so didn’t have the strain some of you have. The pain i’m in now 2 weeks post op is horrendous, i’m hardly sleeping living off co – codamol they seem to be the only positive pain relief I get, however they’re starting to give me nightmares, I never thought the internal pain of the same cut would be so bad, i’ve developed whats called a healing ridge its shown more in the first photo its like a banana lump round my belly button which now is very tender and hard.

Take care and Hugs to you all xx

julie makin
    Participant

Update today 6 weeks after op as tummy still sore and swollen, they thought the hernia had pushed past mesh, not the case had ultrasound today at 2.30 no food or drink allowed till after it and was parched !! its a blood clot haematoma the size of a golf ball, they offered a drain in but said it could cause infection or leave alone and the body will disberse over time.

I chose the latter, just glad the darn tummy will improve its so so sore xx

tracy105

Julie, you poor thing. That has scared me to death!!!!! I am almost 7 weeks post op for TAH & BSO and adenomyosis. I am thinking I am back to “normal” whatever that maybe, lol and think I can do alot more than I actually can. Thanks for the reminder of NOT.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today