Pain 9 months after abdominal surgery

Forums Forums Current Research Researchers looking for help Pain 9 months after abdominal surgery

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alfie100
    Alfie100
    Participant

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 9 months ago. If I walk more than a mile, do light gardening or sit for long periods etc I am in a lot of pain in my back and abdomen . This feels like it is a complete circle from the site of the scare and follows into my lower back. I visited the gp who advised seeing a physio. I don’t have loads of spare money so this is something I will have to save for. But am starting to feel very low as I don’t feel I can return to my normal life and have to take a lot of pain killers. Everyone says I should be better by now. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on why and what I can do to help myself?? Thank you

Hi ,
    sorry u feel awful ,i am the same with the pain in back and mainly the left of scar,my gp said it was normal and that things can take 18 months !!!
    can gp not refer you for nhs physio ?in my area you can actually refer yourself.
    hope things improve.
    jo xx

Profile photo of kazrbutler
    kazrbutler

I’d agree with physio, and it is available on the NHS, and hope the ideas I share are helpful. I had a referral by my GP a few years ago and it was a life saver. I got to start off with the physio, and then moved onto a physio based Pilates teacher. Another alternative would be a one-to-one with a good Pilates instructor to get you started. Pilates classes aren’t always that expensive, but a one-to-one will be more tailored to your needs; you may need help breaking down exercises to make them manageable.

If that isn’t an option, or there is a waiting list, there is some free downloadable information on exercises here: http://pogp.csp.org.uk/publications. Look for the ones entitled Fit Following Surgery and also Pilates in Women’s Health Physiotherapy.

I’d also highly recommend The Pilates Bible: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilates-Bible-Comprehensive-Accessible-Guide/dp/1856268802/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1464988347&sr=8-4&keywords=pilates which I found really helpful for getting the most out of my physio sessions and building on what I had been taught.

I found an exercise mat essential too, for support and comfort while exercising.

I’ve had a lot of muscle weakness based pain as a result of inactivity in the past due to pain. It took time and effort to build things up, but was well worth it: starting with a few repeats of each exercise I needed to do, and gradually building up. Movement actually makes things better. Getting some help in the early stages is a really good idea; once you know what you are doing, it is possible to progress alone.

Alfie100
    Participant

@purplequeen+51 wrote:

Hi ,
    sorry u feel awful ,i am the same with the pain in back and mainly the left of scar,my gp said it was normal and that things can take 18 months !!!
    can gp not refer you for nhs physio ?in my area you can actually refer yourself.
    hope things improve.
    jo xx

Thank you

Alfie100
    Participant

@kazrbutler wrote:

I’d agree with physio, and it is available on the NHS, and hope the ideas I share are helpful. I had a referral by my GP a few years ago and it was a life saver. I got to start off with the physio, and then moved onto a physio based Pilates teacher. Another alternative would be a one-to-one with a good Pilates instructor to get you started. Pilates classes aren’t always that expensive, but a one-to-one will be more tailored to your needs; you may need help breaking down exercises to make them manageable.

If that isn’t an option, or there is a waiting list, there is some free downloadable information on exercises here: http://pogp.csp.org.uk/publications. Look for the ones entitled Fit Following Surgery and also Pilates in Women’s Health Physiotherapy.

I’d also highly recommend The Pilates Bible: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilates-Bible-Comprehensive-Accessible-Guide/dp/1856268802/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1464988347&sr=8-4&keywords=pilates which I found really helpful for getting the most out of my physio sessions and building on what I had been taught.

I found an exercise mat essential too, for support and comfort while exercising.

I’ve had a lot of muscle weakness based pain as a result of inactivity in the past due to pain. It took time and effort to build things up, but was well worth it: starting with a few repeats of each exercise I needed to do, and gradually building up. Movement actually makes things better. Getting some help in the early stages is a really good idea; once you know what you are doing, it is possible to progress alone.

Thank you I will look at the links they look helpful.. x

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.