skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs July Positive story

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stephanie Head
    Participant

I just wanted to say that there are positive stories too ( and I appreciate that I am fortunate) 4 weeks ago I had a total hysterectomy all done- with great skill and a lot of ‘jiggling’ by the female consultant to remove a large ovarian cyst and several fibroids – with keyhole surgery.She advised me that I could drive within 72 hours if I felt no pain, could turn my head round as if to reverse and could do an emergency stop. My insurance company were happy with this so after 5 days I drove with my husband in the passenger seat . I decided to do short runs and then longer.
    My recovery has gone surprisingly well despite my bladder blocking after a week and a trip to A&E to let it drain, insert a temporary catheter for a few days. Now right as rain.
    Week 3 I have swum ( with GP agreement) in the local pool.
    I was terrified before the operation as I read so much about the problems…and I am not making light of what it is like for people who have had problems post surgery… but I wanted to put it out there that for some people it is OK. I have rested, asked for help and not overdone it but I am surprised at the speed of my recovery, pushing myself to see what my limits are and listening to my body when tired or just weak.
    I found some of the suggestions on this site – big knickers! – so useful as I prepared for my big day. So thank you. I am very grateful.

Clairebear800
    Participant

Thank you, that’s so good to hear. I’m coming up to three weeks, (tomorrow) since my abdominal hysterectomy, cervix and ovaries gone too. I’m feeling tired but surprisingly well. I walked a lot, but as the adenomyosis got worse I was less motivated to go out and about, didn’t even do a walking marathon this year. But, the past two days, I’ve started getting out for more than a “potter” about. Went on the bus to the local town, did about 6000 steps, it’s not my usual 15-20,000 a day but it’s more than i thought I would be able to do. I’ve got a minor infection, internally, nothing antibiotics aren’t sorting out as we speak. I still rest and am far from 100% and I’m not about to start driving or do anything that jeopardises by recovery but I feel like I know my own body and when to stop. Little pushes and challenges each day help to keep my mind and body happy and healing.

So again, thank you for sharing your positive story, it is great to hear and brilliant that you are recovering well.

Best wishes Claire x

PS, big knickers were one of the best top tips I got too!

Stephanie Head
    Participant

Good to hear from you Claire and glad your journey is positive too. Little pushes and challenges- I like that. I had a quiet day yesterday as I had a few twinges in my abdomen. They have gone today. The problem is I never know if I have overdone it a bit or my body is just getting used to functioning again! I certainly feel happier and healthier since the op and spend more time doing things slowly, observing life in a different way as I used to rush around being very busy! Here’s hoping it continues for us both

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today