skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs January post op problems

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

debsm1
    Participant

Hi, my name is Debbie. I am 8 days in from abdominal total hysterectomy.. I am in lots of pain, especially with gas and unable to have a bowel movement without using a suppository. I went 7 days without a bowel movement, despite taking lactulose, dulcolax and prune juice. I don’t feel in control of my bowel and can’t push down to pass wind or have a movement. Is this normal please? Thank you

felicity
    Participant

Hi debbie, try extra strong mints and peppermint tea for the gas. Lactulose can cause wind, movicol sachets are really good for getting things moving but not sure If you can buy them without prescription. If you are taking cocodamol that brings bowels to a halt. Don’t strain whatever you do xx

LouiseD1
    Participant

Hi all, hope you’re managing in the snow, if you live in those parts of the world!
    I saw my consultant yesterday and had an ultrasound scan. The good news is there does not appear to be anything wrong inside, so I can stop worrying about needing more surgery etc. But it does not give an explanation for how much discomfort I am in if I do anything at all. Apparently it may be to do with the problems I had with my open wound which has sunk very deep and healed that way so it may be pulling everything else in above it more than normal and creating the hard tender feelings above the wound when I stand up. Also nerves apparently grow back about eight weeks so may be why I’m feeling it more.
    So no choice but to try and get on with it and hopefully things will slowly improve. Seems I am super sensitive to pain and discomfort (which I knew already tbh) and I just need to find ways to cope. I’m really glad of course that there is nothing seriously wrong but deflated at the thought of the long slow road ahead.
    I’ll maybe search the forum a bit more to see if there are any other ladies in the past who described similar types of problems post-op, the internet doesn’t seem to offer too much info so far.
    Anyway, do hope you are each getting on a little better and let’s try and stay positive huh ! Xxx
    Ps Debbie – real prunes were / still are the saviour for me, one or two a day with cereal or yogurt, like taking medicine (yuk!) but nothing else required to keep everything running very smoothly!

LouiseD1
    Participant

Oops posted on wrong thread, sorry!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today