skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs January Post Op surgery on 21 Jan 2019

• This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lizbott 1 month ago.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

CarlaJean
    Participant

I am ending my 3rd week post op laparoscopically-assisted total vaginal hysterectomy; I did, however, keep my left ovary. I seem to have more pain now than at first, though I try to not overdo it. Driving hurts and my husband doesn’t seem to understand that. It is so strange that people think because you look “OK” and other women they know bounced back to work and life after only a few weeks that you should too. 🙁

Lizbott
    Participant

You should NOT be driving. Your insurance is invalid. My understanding is (from the literature given to me by the hospital) is that you have to ring the insurance company before you start driving again to make sure your insurance is valid, and that’s usually after 6 weeks. Tell your husband that! I don’t know him but I’m very angry with him! Sorry! You should have a support network round you and an unsympathetic husband must be awful for you.
    As far as your recovery goes everyone is different. You say you try not to over do it, but your driving. You should rest when you need to. If your in pain you should definitely be resting and I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor. I understand what you mean about looking ok. It’s as though you need to wear a big sign saying post hysterectomy with the number of days since the procedure was done. Most people know it’s six weeks before the internal scars heal. I’ve also heard many say that it’s a year or more before your back to normal. Please see the doctor to make sure everything is ok.
    I am post op 3 weeks tomorrow after having everything removed laparoscopically and a pelvic floor repair and get uncomfortable near the end of the day if I have walked too much but cannot say I’m in pain.
    Hope you’re feeling better soon.

juleskirk50

Hello carlajean sounds like you’re doing too much and I agree you probably shouldn’t be driving at this stage as you likely won’t be insured – most insurance companies say if you’re cleared to drive by your gp then they will cover you but I’m sure you shouldn’t be driving yet.
    You also need to be able to do an emergency stop and the best way to check is to hop on one foot and if it hurts you’re not fit to drive. X

I have popped on the recovery guide to give you some idea of your recovery times but you need to remember you have many internal stitches which need time to heal strongly and if you don’t rest they won’t do this. Sounds like you don’t have the best support at home but maybe if you explain to your husband he will be more sympathetic as sometimes they just don’t get it do they. 😐

Please take it easy and allow yourself to heal as we only get one chance to recover xx

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/a5692c6457e86f0e2182630fa/files/sbs_recovery.pdf?utm_source=Free+Hysterectomy+Booklet&utm_campaign=30c61c525a-Booklet-14&utm_medium=email

Afterglow
    Participant

You sound like you’re having a hard time. It’s difficult when it’s an “ invisible” wound. My husband’s been great but still needs reminding sometimes that I can’t do certain stuff at the moment.

Are you still taking pain killers? I stopped paracetamol after 10 days or so but was told to keep taking ibuprofen at night as it’s an anti inflammatory as well as relieving pain. It might be worth checking with your gp if the pain relief isn’t working.

Re the driving, I think it depends on the type of surgery and the advice that we get from the consultant and most importantly whether or not it hurts. My consultant said that he would expect me to be able to drive at about 2 or 3 weeks, subject to clearance from insurance. My insurance said to follow the guidelines from the consultant, which were to check that I was not in any pain and to check that I could do emergency stops on the drive with the keys out of the ignition. I’ve checked that tonight as well as changing gear/using handbrake/looking over shoulder etc. If you’re driving and it hurts you could be invalidating your insurance as Liz said but also it won’t be helping your recovery at all.

I hope you’re ok.

Lizbott
    Participant

How are you Carlajean? Hope you’re feeling better.

CarlaJean
    Participant

Hi all. I am feeling better actually. I feel improvement with every passing week. I also have realized that I am my own best advocate and regardless of what others think or feel, I must take care of myself first.

Thank you everyone for your words of kindness and concern. 🙂

Lizbott
    Participant

Wise words Carlajean. So glad you sound more positive. I look back at my first post to you and fear it comes across as quite harsh. Obviously in a bad mood that day! Sending big hugs and support.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today