skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums Gynaecological Conditions Prolapse Prolapse repair vs hysterectomy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Confused1

I’m new to this site but looking for some help – I’m trying to decide between prolapse repair and prolapse repair with hysterectomy. I’m now on my 3rd-opinion consultant have been first diagnosed with rectocele plus mild cystocele, then enterocele and now back to cystocele. I had GI physiology tests done (which were just awful) and the clinical research fellow who did the tests said I had a rectocele and the results showed I was a good candidate for surgery but then my consultant said there was nothing wrong with my bowel. I am now due to have Urodynamic tests (which I think sound terrifying) and my consultant has put me down for prolapse repair surgery with possible TVH.
    I’m so confused. I’m nearly 50 and post-menopause, so no worries about losing my uterus, but the idea of TVH distresses me a lot as I’m not sure what my sex life will be like without a cervix – plus my consultant said there would be some shortening as well as narrowing but that “intercourse wouldn’t be impossible”. I don’t want “not impossible” I want “good”.
    But I also want to be able to have a normal bowel movement and not be in discomfort all the time. My consultant also said surgery might not improve the bowel function or the discomfort and there’s a 30% risk of recurrence of the prolapse – so I can’t help feeling it could all just make everything worse.
    I don’t know what to do – I feel so depressed about all of this – and I don’t seem to be making any progress (it’s been going on for more than 2 years now) and I just keep getting sent for more and more horrible tests. I don’t know whether to go for the repair but refuse the TVH or just be guided by my consultant who says she’ll only know once she’s “in there”.

Any advice?

Unsure1

Hello Confused1
    Welcome to the site and for sharing your story with us. I would suggest, like M, that you contact your consultant again and take with you a list of questions. In the end the decision is obviously yours to make however I do feel that your consultant could help by answering your questions in detail.

Please let us know how you get on and like M says you are welcome to send a PM to either of us.
    Take care
    Claire x

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today