Removal of cervix and closure of vagina and effect on sex

Forums Forums Sexuality and Hysterectomy Sex and Hysterectomy Removal of cervix and closure of vagina and effect on sex

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nial87
    nial87

Hi i know this may seem like a funny question but is it ok to have sex right up until the day of my TVH?
    XX Laura XX

Profile photo of Muscadet
    Muscadet

Hi Laura

Yes its fine to get in some last minute duvet dancing 😉

Mx

Profile photo of nial87
    nial87

Thanks 🙂 xx

Profile photo of Jacleo
    Jacleo

Hi Ladies,
    Have just read through your posts and have felt heart warmed by you all.
    I have not had any O problems, although at first they were a little shallow, I found that once I had relaxed and give way to the feeling then all was ok. I had pain before as my womb etc was tilted so it was nice not to feel hurt or sore during and after. I often felt that I had tummy ache after.
    My problem is that I am just not feeling myself, not sexy and not in the mood so much. I feel so fat after the op, I have put on a lot of weight and so that is not helping, OH not sure if he isn’t interested or that he is getting bad vibes from me.
    It is all very complicated.
    The worse thing that I can’t get out of my head is the tied up bag impression, I can’t get that thought out of my head, so that really puts me off!!
    I should be grateful really as everything else is fine, I just don’t seem to be able to feel like sexy me any more.
    Have this huge saggy belly, which looks awful and a sewn up sack! yuk.
    Maybe 2014 with a diet some excursive and a new outlook may make the difference…. heres hoping! xxx

Profile photo of CLHAMMOND425
    CLHAMMOND425

I had this conversation with my doctor today. She told me that the nerves that respond to vaginal stimulation come up from the bottom to the top of the vagina. Therefore, there is no chance of severing those nerves during a hysterectomy.

Hopeful new.

Profile photo of ashleymarie
    ashleymarie
    Participant

I must say after reading everyones post, i do feel lucky in that after my total hysterectomy, everything removed, my orgasms have infact intensified tremendously. My main issue is the entire feeling before the big O, it feels like im rubbing my insides against wood (no pun intended lol) or sand paper, altough im not dry (that increased too) the feeling is enough to stop itself. Its very uncomfortable and makes it hard to stay, in the mood. Anyone have any ideas? Like i said, its definitely not dry, so what else could be causing that sensation, and how do i fix it??

Profile photo of cecilia60
    cecilia60
    Participant

I know this thread is a bit old now and hope you don’t mind me jumping in but having recently spoken about this with my consultant gynae he explained that in his opinio it is not just the removal of the cervix which affects the ability to achieve penetrative orgasm but also the removal of the womb itself. The womb being a muscle contracts strongly with orgasm which gives for a deeper pleasure plus the weight of the womb also helps achieve a strong orgasm which kind of makes sense. It still doesn’t make sense to me as to how women are all different in this. I’ve lost the ability to orgasm strongly anyway which has made me very sad but this is down to lowered hormone levels being post meno apparently. I’m glad I enjoyed them while I could!

Sissy x

Profile photo of Beach43
    Beach43
    Participant

Help after reading your forum I feel pretty cheated. My main problem is that my vagina has started to narrow and dry out. The nurse said about buying rubber dilators to gradulley widen. Has anyone else had the same problem? Right now feel that I will never have sex again.

Profile photo of Urchin
    Urchin

Yesterday I was given the rough timetable for my hysterectomy – March 17, so I’ve got some thinking time.

The consultant said his plan was to remove cervix, uterus and ovaries. I said I didn’t want my cervix to be removed, as I’d heard it could affect the sex drive. He pretty much poo-poohed this, saying there’s only been one study that suggested this. But, there isn’t exactly
    A lot of research cash invested in women’s sexuality is there?

He said it was up to me – that the op would be easier if he DOESNT take my cervix.

I’m now starting to have thoughts about my ovaries too. They are pretty much on their final gasp, so I’m not sure what would be gained by keeping them.

I’m just rambling now

Profile photo of Eponine
    Eponine

Hi,
    March this year had everything taken – also worried about sex drive as I am with someone 14 years my junior and we both enjoy and have great sex life when 16 year old not around!
    I heard numerous stories of sex drive, moisture and intensity all changing, well I can tell you from my point of view every single item there has improved since the op. I didn’t feel ill or in pain when I had it so no relief of anything, they found cancer in polyps so recommended everything thing went and at 58 they were welcome to it.
    I think everyone is so different you could have lots of different opinions on this and still not be you in the long run, some positivity goes a long way and giving yourself time after the op, because if you try too early and things have changed then you could think it is going to be forever. Be patient with yourself and be happy that your insides have benefited along with your health that will keep you and your sex life going for longer. Good luck with whatever way you go. xx

Profile photo of Miss K
    Miss K

Ladies,

An Estring is great for shrinking vagina’s that are dry and brittle (I suffered for about 2 years early in peri menopause) and hormonal implants are good for libido and general menopause symptoms post hysterectomy.

Appreciate we are all different but lots of people aren’t aware of the options.

Kxx

Profile photo of Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

Im at day 9 recovering from abdominal sub total hysterectomy (aged 56yrs for fibroids).
    I was consented for full hysterectomy but following joining this association and reading comments on forum decided to ask to keep my cervix.
    i saw the surgeon (female) just before going to theatre ash asked her- she was going to discuss it with me anyway. she explained my options very well and altered my consented operation.
    i am so glad i read the comments on here to enable me to consider my options and be more informed to ask and understand.
    Wendy

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.