skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums The Monthly Clubs April Seeking advice after Surgery on April 17th 2018

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Sandi Waters-Lewis
    Participant

Hi All
    I’ve just joined up from Australia, and am so glad I found and joined this association. Nothing similar here.
    I had a TAH, BSO & fibroids removed on April 17th, so I’m 4 weeks post op today. I’ll be 50 exactly 5 months after my surgery date! Previous breast cancer 2011, long history of gynae issues, so very pleased to finally be having the surgery. i migrated to Australia 15 yrs ago. English surgeons would not operate because I hadn’t had kids, despite my (and hubby) never wanting any children. We have 2 elderly fur girls Doris and Fred 😀

My post op recovery seems to be going in a fairly predictive fashion physically and mentally from what I’ve read.
    I do have a question though for others in the same boat, as I can’t seem to anything documented in post op recovery info.

I’m not constipated and have always been extremely regular to the minute!!
    I know my body has been through a major assault so to speak, and things have had to be moved around in there to carry out the surgery. My suture line is clean, dry, healing/healed, with no redness or untoward soreness. Ist some bruising still evident. I have no PV bleeding or discharge. I have no issues when passing urine so don’t have a UTI.
    In the last week or so I’m now experiencing abdo/pelvic pain when I need to go to the toilet, especially for bowels. The pain is awful and has me doubled up and cursing, and literally feels like I’m about to give birth to something from the front and back end. Once I’ve actually had my bowels opened things do settle down.

Is this a “normal” part of the recovery process?
    Has anyone else experienced this?

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated. I have a follow up appt on 6th June with the surgeon.

Thanks all,
    Sandi

LindaPH

Hi Sandi. Constipation isn’t always about not being able to go to the loo, sometimes it can be about having difficulty going and it sounds like you probably need a little extra help at the moment. There are lots of things that contribute to these normal bodily functions, what we eat, how much we drink, how much exercise we take for example; I would guess that pretty much all of those have been affected by being ‘in recovery’ – particularly the amount of exercise you won’t be getting for the next few weeks/months.

It would be worth talking to your GP to find out if there is anything they can prescribe just to see you through to getting back into your normal daily routine.

In the meantime, warm water with lemon and walking can help. And, when you’re on the loo – try popping your feet up on a little step stool as that mimics our bodies natural position, and then rock backwards and forwards gently to get things moving along nicely. It sounds odd, but it works.

Lindy

Sandi Waters-Lewis
    Participant

Thanks Lindy. I’m seeing my GP tomorrow so will be discussing this with her. Walking around definitely helps to move things along, as do my couple of mugs strong tea.
    Even if I have wind I have a lesser degree of the pain down there. I think I may need to add in some coloxyl and senna for a little while as well as my prunes and other veggies/fluid intake. Hopefully it will settle down as time goes on.
    Just worried that I may have strained some thing in there, but think I would have other symptoms etc if that were the case.

LindaPH

It will settle down as you progress through recovery and start following your normal routine. Adding extra fibre and fluid will always help as well. And remember, when you have anaesthetic it stops the bowel from working too, so it always takes a while to get back to normal. Linda

Sandi Waters-Lewis
    Participant

Ended up having to have a CT scan, a load of bloods and a urine sample.
    Bloods off kilter, but pattern fits with inflammatory processes more than infection, so not a huge concern.
    Urine all good, a perfectly clean sample. At least I can do something right!
    CT scan showed a pelvic collection at the vaginal vault and next to the sigmoid colon. This would explain all the pain and issues. Too deep in to stick a needle in my belly and drain off, so, regular analgesia, aperients to maintain soft stools and monitor. See the surgeon on 6th June unless anything else happens.
    Thank you for your advice and support x

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today