skip to Main Content

Register to Become a Member Today

Forums Forums Gynaecological Conditions Prolapse Vaginal Hysterectomy/pelvic floor repair/sacrospinfixation

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author

HelenG

Need as much advice as I can get. After several operations (for stress incontinence), I am due to have a vaginal hysterectomy probably along with a pelvic floor repair and a sacrospinous fixation on 3rd February. This is all to cure a uterine prolapse.

Has anyone had these procedures (either seperately or together) and if so is there any advice you could give me on what to expect.

I’m not scared as my consultant is amazing and I trust him explicitly and over the last 18 months has been so supportive, but it is now felt that this is the only route left to alleviate all my symptoms. I’m ready to have this done as I just want my life back and start living again.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from anyone. May I say I have found the hysterectomy association website a great source of information and support.

juleskirk50

Hi Helen,

Welcome to the site this is a wonderful place to get support and advice from ladies – have a good look around and join in the chat with the ladies who are already on the done couch and the ladies who are waiting for their ops.

As you can see from my signature I had a vag hyst and pelvic floor repairs – I have no experience of the other procedure you are having but am sure someone will come along and talk to you about that – my experience was very positive and I have no regrets about having the operation – I didn’t really have a choice as I too had a prolapsed womb. Xx

I was very surprised how well I felt when waking up from the op – I had local and general anaethsetist and was in no pain whatsoever which continued during most of my recovery – at week two I had some heavy bleeding which turned it to be an infection but this is actually quite common and soon cleared up with antibiotics. The worse part for me was the vaginall packing and although I could not actually feel it in place it was a wee bit nippy when being removed lol – it’s not scary and absolutely nowhere near as bad as we think it’s going to be and nothing to be scared of at all.

Any questions please feel free to ask and pop along to the monthly forums and get to know the ladies who are recovering and these in waiting who will all support you every step of the way.

Please don’t be scared or worried we are all here for you. Xxx

HelenG

Hi Julie

Thank you for your reply. And so quickly.

My problems began after having my eldest son (now 15). It was a very difficult birth and should have been a c-section but they left me and I ended up having a failed ventouse, episiotomy and a forceps delivery and then had a postpartum haemorrhage. My 2nd son was easy, but over the last 5 years or so have suffered terrible stress incontinence.

I went to my doctor who referred me to my consultant at Rosshall in Glasgow who as I said has been wonderful. I first saw him last Easter for my problem and he said unfortunately I had two issues, one was the stress incontinence and the second was my prolapse. He said he could perform a TVT procedure to cure the stress incontinence but I would need a hysterectomy to cure my prolapse. Since at that point the prolapse wasn’t causing me any problems we decided to go ahead with the TVT. In April last year I underwent this and to be honest it was a complete success, but unfortunately afterwards I was unable to void sitting down (I had to squat over the loo). I went back to see him and he then decided to a cystoscopy and urethra stretch and I had this done in June. That didn’t help so he then decided to do a pelvic floor repair as he thought that the prolapse might be contributing to my symptoms. In July last year I was back in having my pelvic floor repaired. This unfortunately didn’t help and I was then going to the loo about 13-15 times a day. He put me on medication which helped the frequency but not the positioning. I ended up with another cystoscopy and stretch back in February of this year and as a last resort had to have my TVT tape cut in July. I can now sit down to void but the flow is not good and so far, fingers crossed have no stress incontinence. I am now on different medication for my urgency. I saw my consultant about a month ago and he examined me and unfortunately my prolapse has got worse. I think we both knew that it would come to me having to have a hysterectomy, but I’m now ready for it. I want to start living again. He said he would do the surgery when I was ready but it would need to be done within the next 5 years. I have to say I’m ready now. I have my children…… Two fantastic boys. I’m 43 next month and I want to get on with life. I am wrong to think like this.

He is going to do the hysterectomy vaginally and leave my tubes and ovaries but won’t know until he ‘goes in’ whether he’ll need to do the repair and the sacrospinous fixation but he said ‘probably’ I’ll need all 3 procedures.

What worries me more is coming home…….. I’m not one for sitting on my butt……. I do a lot of voluntary work for scouting and a charity called Canine Partners, who train assistance dogs for people with physical disabilities. (I currently have a 16month puppy who I am training but is due to go down south for advance training in the New Year). Recovery for me is going to be hard.

juleskirk50

Hi Helen,

You have been through the mill haven’t you – hopefully this operation will get all your problems sorted and you can start to have a normal life again hopefully.

Unfortunately when you come home sitting on your butt – haha – is the only thing you will be allowed to do as you need to rest ( which I am sure you know anyway ) lol – it really is for the best and it really does make for a good recovery and although you will probably feel better fairly quickly and think you can do stuff you need to remember you have had major surgery and while you have no visible scar you have a lot of stitches inside which all need to heal so resting is imperative and it’s only for a short time. Xx the better your recovery the quicker you can get back to your normal activities. Xx

Keep talking and I look forward to chatting with you and please ask any questions you feel you would like to – there is no subject here that has not been discussed and nothing is out of bounds. !!!

Take care. Xx

HelenG

Julie

How did you feel emotionally after your op?

X

juleskirk50

Helen,

To be honest I felt fine – I had no connection to my womb – have been sterilised for many years never wanted any more than one child so it wasn’t an issue because I was losing it – the real problem was that we lost my mother inlaw the day after my op and for that reason I was very upset – but from the operation point of view I was absolutely fine I could not believe how well I felt and how mobile I was – don’t know what I was really expecting but it was nothing like I imagined.

There’s absolutely nothing to be scared !! Xxx

mumof2

Hi Helen

2 wks ago today I had a vaginal hysterectomy an anterior PF repair and it is the best thing I have ever done!

I can go to the toilet and wipe without feeling my gubbings that hang out (this is how I described it to hubby lol) and I can shower without touching bits of my body that really shouldn’t be touched!

Like Jules I too have not been in any pain, had a sore bum for a bit but that soon went once I was use to laying/sitting down all the time. I stopped taking meds 3 days possible op and the only meds the hospital gave me once I was off the drips were paracetamol and ibropofin (sp).

I too suffered with a slight stress incontinence but am yet to see what that is like as I am still bleeding but I go back for a hysterectomy check up at end of Jan and the again for prolapse check up at 12wks. So hopefully it will be all good.

My youngest is 19 months today and I can’t pick him up but him to bed, nothing, but how I feel now makes it so worth while. But I can’t wait for him to go into a big boys bed so I can start taking him to bed again 🙂

Feel free to ask any questions.

Mand x x

HelenG

Thank you for your reply.

All the people I talk to have had really positive comments about it all. Hopefully my experience with be a positive one too.

I can’t help thinking of what I’ll feel like, emotionally, once it’s all done. And once it’s done will all my symptoms, like being able to pee normal, no achy back, no feeling like a tampon has been stuck up there, tired, fed up be gone……. I just want to have a normal life, having fun with my children…… Sorry getting a bit weepy over it all now…… Feel like part of my womanhood will be missing, although I know deep down in my heart it’s the right thing to do.

My hubby is fantastic, so supportive and I know that he will do stuff in the house etc to help.

HelenG

Me again…… Merry Christmas everyone.

One question……. Sorry……. When u talk about bleeding afterwards…… What should I expect, like a period bleed or more.

Hope you all had a good day yesterday.

X

juleskirk50

Hi Helen,

It varies quite considerable – again we are all different – I had minimal bleeding immediately after my op which tailed off after a few days to really just a kind of browny discharge – it only started again when I got an infection at two weeks and that was quite a lot of bleeding – so it does really vary – but others can bleed for a couple of weeks afterwards and yes I would say its suite possible like having a period but again we are all different in every respect so some may bleed a lot but others not so much !! I only used pant liners after a couple of days so that gives you an idea how little there was for me. !

I know that’s not very clear but it will give you some idea what to expect – hopefully. Xxx

HelenG

Thank you.

Just concerned about this side of it as I had the haemorrhage when I had my eldest and when I had the tvt cut in July I took a bleed the next day which resulted in an emergency call to my consultant and the removal of a blood clot from ‘down below’. So as you can imagine I’m worried.

juleskirk50

Yes Helen I fully understand you being worried that sounds awful – hopefully this will be straightforward for you with no complications ! Try not to worry too much though – ) ! Xxx

Any other questions please feel free to ask – as you see there is usually always someone around who can help you !xx

HelenG

Thank you. Don’t want to keep bothering anyone

juleskirk50

Helen,

You are not bothering anyone at all it’s what we are here for to help one another so don’t be thinking that way !!

Xxx

HelenG

Did you experience this wind etc that everyone keeps mentioning, even tho I’m having mine vaginally

juleskirk50

Oh yes – it was really awful – I was given peppermint oil from the hospital and found that this worked for me – it lasted around a couple of weeks off and on and it was quite uncomfortable but bearable. !! Xx

HelenG

Yikes……..

HelenG

What causes this

juleskirk50

Helen,

I think its caused by something they do during the operation to keep the area ‘open’ ( if you know what I mean) – I didn’t go into that aspect too much as sometimes it’s better not to know what they are actually doing – lol
    But I am sure I can find out or someone on here knows what causes it – !!

I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to frighten you I was just trying to be honest about it – !!

Again it’s different for all of us and there’s no guarantee you will get it or if it will be painful or should I say uncomfortable it’s not so much painful just very uncomfy – I am really sorry I’m not trying to scare you and hope I have not put you off asking any more
    questions – !!!

Xx

juleskirk50

Helen,

I found this maybe explain a little why it happens. !!

Inflammation with tissue injury (especially with abdominal hysterectomy);
    General anaesthetic;
    Post operative pain relieving medications;
    Fasting for surgery;
    Decreased walking and movement;
    Slowed nervous system/neural changes; and
    Hormonal changes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register to Become a Member Today